In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Visited Cape Girardeau, MO - Lots of Pics

drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,616 ✭✭✭✭
Spent 4 days in Cape Girardeau which is on right on the Mississippi River in SE Missouri. We rented a VRBO and stayed in the upstairs of The Kage House.
Had some great food, visited a few gun shops and antique stores, plus hit a couple state parks in the area.
One of the nearby antique stores had WWI Trench Art for sale. These are fired German and French artillery shells. Prices were reasonable $60 to $150.
One of the days we decided to explore the Mississippi River south of town. There is a Levee that that is maintained by the state of Missouri that follows the river. We drove down following gravel / dirt county roads and wound up at the River Ridge Winery. Where we had to do a taste testing with the owner.
The town of Commerce Missouri which is just south of the Winery opted out of the Levee as they didn't want their view of the River blotted out by a dirt berm.  The town floods every year.

I attempted to get closer to the river and found a muddy vehicle trail. Made it all of 20 yards before becoming stuck in the mud. I put my 4Runner in 4wd low, engaged the locking rear differential, and was able to rock it back and forth, out of the mud hole. There was a large tree nearby to winch off of, if that didn't work. Decided to stick to the gravel roads from then on.
We also visited a couple state parks in the area. To include The Trail of Tears State Park (mostly closed) and Elephant Rocks State Park. Elephant Rocks was worth the drive.

Lots of driving but had a good time.

Comments

• US Military GuyUS Military Guy Member Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭✭
    drobs said:

How much for the clock?

I could make the drive.

• RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,616 ✭✭✭✭
    drobs said:

How much for the clock?

I could make the drive.

That one was a little pricey - $3500.
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,939 ✭✭✭✭
    Been there several times. Course I am within 3 hours. Some darn good BBQ around there!! Nice pics.
  • Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭✭
    Birth place of Rush.
    Been there several times. Course I am within 3 hours. Some darn good BBQ around there!! Nice pics.

The Minglewood Brewery was right across the street.
    They actually had some beers I like (can't stand IPA's) to include a good Hefeweizen, Stout, and even a Czech beer. Had the Pretzel with awesome German Mustard, plus a couple good pizzas.

Also ate at Broussard's Cajun Resturant.
    Good Shrimp Etouffee and a really tasty Crabmeat Gumbo. Their oysters in the 1/2 shell were good too. Very fresh.

• US Military GuyUS Military Guy Member Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭✭
    drobs said:
    drobs said:

How much for the clock?

I could make the drive.

That one was a little pricey - $3500.
    Hmmmm . . . . maybe I can just build one myself using .22 LR and 12 gauge shotgun shells? 

(smaller scale of course)
  • savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,510 ✭✭✭✭
    Took some classes at SEMO back in the early eighties had a lot of fun  in Cape Girardeau back then
  • asopasop Member Posts: 8,951 ✭✭✭✭
    Used to stay there when we hunted the Olive Branch, Il. area. 
  • dok2udok2u Member Posts: 100
    Thanks for the stories and the pictures.  They are great!  I had an interview for a job teaching at SEMO about 1990.  It was a disaster.  Among the worst ever.  Told them thanks but no thanks.
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,291 ✭✭✭✭
    Great pictures thanks for sharing

Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,425 ✭✭✭✭
    asop said:
    Used to stay there when we hunted the Olive Branch, Il. area. 
    then you also know the better "dives"  and "eats" places the area is quite well known for.  bwahahahahahahaha   me too
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,549 ✭✭✭✭
    They are somewhat proud of that wine.  Most of the Missouri wines I have had are too sweet for my palate, many are pricey, but we do like the dry whites from St. James Winery.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,543 ✭✭✭✭
    Great pics.  You must have a good camera.  Please, tell me those weren't taken with an Iphone.
  • mark christianmark christian Member Posts: 24,453 ✭✭✭✭
    Dan, the apartment looks nice, and it appears to have a good view of the river. My girlfriend has been bugging me to take her to Memphis, so a side trip to Cape Girardeau may be in the offing. 
    edited October 2020
    Great pics.  You must have a good camera.  Please, tell me those weren't taken with an Iphone.

Used my Samsung Galaxy Note 10 android phone. The phones these days are really putting a lot tech into their cameras. I figured when I came back to the USA for good I'd get a good phone.

I borrowed the pics of the Kage House from the VRBO website.
    Dan, the apartment looks nice, and it appears to have a good view of the river. My girlfriend has been bugging me to take her to Memphis, so a side trip to Cape Girardeau may be in the offing. 

I think you could find some things to do in the area.
    There's just a short walk down to the river. Lots of younger folks (College kids) down there. Couple guys with Guitars, a small amount of Homeless looking for handouts, here and there.

It's MO and we recognize all CCW licenses. Plus there is a sort of Constitutional carry (open & concealed) in place. I'm not sure if that extends to out of staters though. I pocket carrier my Ruger LC9 most of the trip. There's a large bridge over the Mississippi that goes to Illinois. We took a peek on the other side of the river - not much over there other than a strip club and more farm fields.

This part of town the floods every so often. There is wall between the river and the town with large gates that can be closed. I was happy to see that The Kage house was somewhat up hill from the river with 2 parking spots, also up hill.

Cape Girardeau is about a 4.25 hour drive from my house.

He Dog said:
    They are somewhat proud of that wine.  Most of the Missouri wines I have had are too sweet for my palate, many are pricey, but we do like the dry whites from St. James Winery.

We grabbed a couple 7 bottles. 2 for the folks watching our house / feeding the cats. The owner was a pretty cool guy (about my age) gave us a discount. I picked his brain a little and mentioned that I tried making a Manhattan a couple weeks ago and failed miserably. He recommended Blood Orange Bitters. Seemed like a guy that knows his booze.

• allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,543 ✭✭✭✭
    That is unbelievable that you can take pictures like that with a telephone.
    I am an old time photographer, I had a Minolta outfit that cost $1200.  Telephoto lenses, wide angle  lenses, tripods, motor drive, flash.  Hell the flash was about as big as an Iphone is today. This was back when you opened the back of the camera and put a roll of film in there.  I'm sure some of y'all remember that far back.
    I had a darkroom in my house.

I was a good photographer, but, you are getting as good pictures with a telephone as I could get with my Minolta outfit.
    The Minolta outfit now sets in a box in the closet, you would be lucky to get 40 bucks for it.

• GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,939 ✭✭✭✭
    Well, have you been to Memphis lately? Just saying, I went a a concert there some months ago and imo, decline but they have great music and BBQ. You would like where drobs stayed, my 2 cents. Make trips in that "area" couple times a year.
  • Aztngundoc22Aztngundoc22 Member Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭
    OK : 
    Did You by chance to eat @ Lamberts ??? if not : You really missed it !
    Thanks !!!
    The more people I meet : The more I like my Dog :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I Grew Old Too Fast (And Smart Too damn Slow !!!) !!! :o :?
    edited October 2020
    OK : 
    Did You by chance to eat @ Lamberts ??? if not : You really missed it !
    Thanks !!!

Lambert's is a once in a lifetime experience. I've already experience it at the Ozark, MO location. I personally wouldn't go back.

I call that food they serve as Ozark fare. Most small family style restaurants here have the same menu w/o the throwed rolls. 

I am an old time photographer, I had a Minolta outfit that cost $1200.  Telephoto lenses, wide angle  lenses, tripods, motor drive, flash.  Hell the flash was about as big as an Iphone is today. This was back when you opened the back of the camera and put a roll of film in there.  I'm sure some of y'all remember that far back.

I was a good photographer, but, you are getting as good pictures with a telephone as I could get with my Minolta outfit.
    The Minolta outfit now sets in a box in the closet, you would be lucky to get 40 bucks for it.

This was a spendy phone - about $900 :o broken up into low monthly payments as part of the phone bill. Could be worth 1/2 that.

I've noticed that these phone cameras fail at taking pictures of animals at a distance and night time photos. Both come out real grainy. Dusk photos are interesting as the phone camera does a good job at pulling in light making it look like a daytime photo.

One of my justifications for an expensive phone is the ability to instantly upload videos and photos. Which could be helpful in a self defense situation. Paul Harrell did a video on this and made some good valid points.

Jump to 7min 20sec

• mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,519 ✭✭✭✭

I remember those days........inherited a Cannon A-1 from my dad with motor drive..........took an extension course through Amarillo Community College one summer where we photographed stuff around the campus and then developed our own film....that was a lot of fun.