In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

S&W Mod. 41 target (5.5")

asopasop Member Posts: 8,910 ✭✭✭✭
I have one of these I've had for maybe 20 years (NIB).  Advance search shows very little interest in this firearm!  Why?  Thanks

Comments

• chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Been shooting them for years. The real reason they are not good sellers is because of the price. Plus, they can be finicky and need tuning to work. Some will not function reliably unless fed certain brands of ammo. Not putting down the 41, but I have seen problems with them, mostly extraction, FTF, and light firing pin strikes.

To be honest with you, my Ruger MK II target with the 5" barrel will out perform my tuned 41 with a 7" barrel and for the price of the 41, I could buy 3 Rugers.  I have never had extraction or FTF problems with the Ruger.

Aside, you can take a 41 apart for cleaning in 5 seconds; A Ruger Mark II well........
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭

How much much do they run on average? I don't have one, but I like the idea of owning a NIB piece.

What's next?
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited October 2020
    I've owned a Model 41 for many decades, but seldom shoot it. As Chief mentioned, they are pricy. This tends to move them into a category for well heeled shooters, but as a rule the pistol's accuracy won't measure up to its price. The factory stocks are designed for left and right hand shooters, which makes them a poor choice for either. Out of the box, the pistol is fitted with (I think) a 7 lb spring, which allows it to safely handle HV ammo. The problem is that no one buys a target pistol with the intention of firing HV ammo. Using target ammo with the OEM spring usually results in FTF, so purchasing new springs  for both 7 and 5-1/2 inch barrels (don't count on one size fits all) is at the top of the list. Extractors also tend to break, and magazines can be finicky feeding various makes of ammunition. The Model 41 can be made into a good pistol, but it often takes time and effort:

• BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,472 ✭✭✭✭
    I've had a mod 41 for almost 30 years. Got it real cheap and shot it a few times. Worked O.K. but my High Standards did a better job. They are easy to clean and maintain like the 41 and fit my hands and balance better for me. The 41 is still in the safe and someday it should bring a lot more than I have into it. Bob
  • ltcdotyltcdoty Member Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭
    I had one, fickle with ammo. With my small girly hands, I could never get my finger to sit right on the trigger. I am a much better shot with my Buckmark heavy barrel with a Ultra Dot.. I traded the Model 41  for a H&R " Little Big Horn" trapdoor carbine, that Kasey just auctioned off for me.  It sold for quite a bit more then I paid for the Model 41 or the carbine. Thank You! Kasey..
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭

I figured it would be spendy, so, if in fact there is little interest in the piece it probably is because of the problems associated with what's been mentioned here.

What's next?
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,735 ✭✭✭✭
    A twenty 20 year old 41 will bring interest, unless you expect way over retail. Post i t.
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    I have a Pre-A series made in early 1962 and it shoots awesome. I mainly got it because I have the complete 422/622/2206/2213/2214 series and I know they are historically known to be accurate shooters. . The 41 can use the same magazines as those except the last two.
    Personally, I feel the new ones are priced at a premium, but are cranked out via mass production. I know they've been mass produced all along, but it seems the earlier ones just have a better fit and finish than the lately.

I also stick with the 41 because they use the 1911 grip angle unlike the Luger grip angle which I have never liked. When I shoot my High Standard, at first I can't hit anything with it. Once I shoot it for a while and go back to basically all the rest of my pistols, then I don't shoot well with them for a bit. So, like the decision I made with shotguns years ago to use one gun for all seasons and quarry (Benelli SBE), I mostly just stick to these S&W's for my .22lr shooting. I tend to shoot the 422 the most since it has a suppressor adapter on it. I can put it on, and go shoot in my back yard at any time. I shoot there anyway, but I am more cognizant of the time of day out of respect to my neighbors.
    I'd maybe be interested in another one. If you list it, be sure to send us the link.

Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like my 41 is an anomaly.  It's easily had over 2 millions rounds down it's original barrel with nary a hiccup.  It's old and a hand me down from my dad. Whenever it starts to get fussy (failure to go battery/missfire - "are there any alibis?") it's just telling me to clean the chamber and breach face.  It absolutely likes Remington Standard Velo ammo (before Rem boosted the price for their less than stellar 22 'Target' ammo).  Today is just feed it CCI Standard velo.
    Interesting comment about HV ammo.  Never knew anyone that used that, but know that I shoot better scores w/ my Model 52 (38 spl waddcutters only) with 'warm' loads.  Same held true when I was shooting PPC.