In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Bi-focals + Walther PPQ M2 Q5 Match Steel Frame + Vortex Optics Venom Red Dot Sight

Lady KayleeLady Kaylee Member Posts: 20
Hi Friends, you all gave me good advice on a rifle for my son so I figured I would ask for myself.

I live in the suburbs and shooting targets at the local indoor range has become my Covid hobby.  I'm not great but good enough to pass NRA distinguished expert pistol qualification (15 ft & 30 ft left and right hand two handed and single handed) with iron sights and am seeking a new challenge.  My next challenge is to join the local range's 300 club where you put 10 rounds into a quarter at 15, 30 and 45 feet each. And I want to work up to consistently getting 3 inch groupings at 75 feet.

Problem is my accuracy at 45 ft and 75 ft drops off because of my bi-focal vision.  When I shoot 1 handed the front site is blurry to my near vision lens or the bullseye of the target is blurry to my long distance lens (and yes I need to see the eye doctor again).  It feels like I'm guessing at the front sight and the target more than seeing the front sight.  I'm thinking of upgrading my current 9mm Walther PPQ to the Q5 match for better accuracy and adding in optic sights for better vision.  The polymer frame costs $800 and the steel frame costs $1700.  Do you think the difference in price is worth it for how I want to use it?

p.s. if you have advice on bi-focals and improving vision when shooting, I'm all ears for that as well.  Or advise on the best value optic sight for the Q5 I'd appreciate hearing that.  The Trijicon RMR is sold out and expensive so leaning towards the Vortex Optics Venom Red Dot Sight - 3 MOA dot.

Comments

• Options
    BikerBobBikerBob Member Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭

Two comments to consider...

A 3 MOA dot will be .3” (or cover .3”) at 10 yards, and 3” at 100 yards. So at 45’ or 15 yards it would be .45” and at 75‘ or 25 yards it would cover 2.5 times the .3 inch or .75” . A 3” dot at 300 feet isn’t bad when you think of target like a hog, deer etc.

• So you’ll need to consider how much of a quarter size target you’ll be covering up.
    • You may want to consider a 2 MOA, as that will cover 1/3 less of your target than a 3 MOA. So a half inch at 75’ vs 3/4 of an inch.

If you’re headed to the Eye Doc, think about progressives. You’ll have more than the 2 options you get with true bifocals.

good luck

• Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    I shoot Defensive Pistol and have started wearing top focal bi-focals when I shoot.   Definitely helps me see the front sight better!
    These are the ones I'm using;
    https://sspeyewear.com/products/top-focal-assorted-interchangeable-kits

ETA;
    Lots of RMR's on the auction side.   A buddy of mine uses one with the triangle reticle.  He adjusts his POI for the apex (top) of the triangle. 
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,533 ✭✭✭✭
    How's your health insurance?
    Friend of mine, who shoots left handed, got laser corrective eye surgery. His left eye is corrected to see up close iron sights on a pistol. His right eye is corrected for seeing long distance targets.
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020

You didn’t say what gun you are running now, I’d be curious.

Can someone who is shooting at the level you want to get to, pick up your current pistol and achieve that level of shooting?

Real fundamental marksmanship is going to be a large part sight picture & trigger control.

If your current pistol doesn’t have the capability to shoot with the accuracy you want, then you need to move to a different gun to achieve your goals. Before you spend money on a new gun- ask yourself is it really the gun holding you back?

If the gun is not holding you back, then it is technique, training, and execution.

“Problem is my accuracy at 45 ft and 75 ft drops off because of my bi-focal vision. When I shoot 1 handed the front site is blurry to my near vision lens or the bullseye of the target is blurry to my long distance lens (and yes I need to see the eye doctor again).”

If you can get the correct sight picture 2 handed, but cannot do so strong hand only- that is a technique issue 1st.

You should be able to improve this with lots of dry fire practice at home.

“ (and yes I need to see the eye doctor again).”

The best money I have spent on shooting in years was to get 3 sets of prescription shooting glasses (clear, slight tint, full tint).

For the shooting you want to do, the only dot I would recommend is the Trijicon SRO with a 1 MOA dot. - It is worth the $$$.

Whatever you do- you can never expect to “shoot 10 rounds into a quarter” @75ft with a 3MOA or larger dot. Your sight picture simply will not be capable of what you are chasing.

My last thought is the Walther Q5 match was built from the ground up for USPSA. I haven’t shot one- but you may be limited in holsters, spare parts & accessories if you purchase such a specialized pistol. -Just a consideration.

PS- post a few videos here - Its fun to see what others are shooting.

• Options
    Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭
    Ok you are shooting some form of what sounds like Bullseye which is the most difficult and precise form of pistol shooting. It requires accuracy not just speed and a lot of discipline and practice to do it well. 3" groups at 25 yards(75 feet) are not that hard for a good shooter with good equipment. I would probably look at a decent 1911  chambered for the 9mm cartridge. However optics mounting is an issue to be considered before choosing the pistol. The Walther PPQ is a great gun and I have owned one since they first came out. It would not be my first choice for precision shooting over a good 1911. Google Brian Zinns. He is a great shooter and has been the NRA National Pistol Champion 12 times. He has some videos that might help. The optic I used was a 1x Burris scope with a 1/8" dot but I don't think it is available anymore. You don't want a large dot that will hide the x ring at 25 yards.
    Look at this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUejbCKV6wQ
  • Options
    @NeoBlackdog and @forgemonkey
    I will research both of those glasses options.  I definitely think it will make a difference in my shooting since I have to tilt my head back to see through the bottom of the bi-focal
    @drobs I looked into lasik and the eye doctor said it would be good for a few year, but then I'd have to get it again as my eyes changed over time or use corrective lens again so it seemed it would be cheaper to stick with corrective lens.

• Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    drobs said:
    How's your health insurance?
    Friend of mine, who shoots left handed, got laser corrective eye surgery. His left eye is corrected to see up close iron sights on a pistol. His right eye is corrected for seeing long distance targets.
    Looked into that when I had mine done, and talked to some shooters that had it done. Works great at the range, not so much for depth perception when driving. With a CDL, I had to pass on it.

• Options
    @Warbirds @Ricci Wright and @BikerBob
    • I use the Walther PPQ M2 9mm and the Walther P22 3.5 inch barrel.  I bought the 9mm for self defense and the P22 to save on ammo when I practice. I can't easily load an optic sight onto my existing M2 bc it doesn't have the screw plate on top, but I can mount a laser sight on the bottom rail.  I want to stay with the Walther lineup since I like it; however will do some research on the 1911 and watch the Brian Zinns videos
    • I'm left eye dominant but right hand dominant and shoot equally well left eye to left hand (both eyes open) and right eye to right hand (only right eye open).  I'm sure my technique could always use improving, but this really is a vision issue.  I shoot front facing (isosoles) 2 handed stance, not weaver stance, and can see the front sight.  When I shift to 1 hand, my arm extends farther from my face as I also am turning my body 45 degrees and the front sight becomes more blurred.
    • I appreciate the input on the sights because I did not think about how the number of dots would impact the sight pictures and the articles I have researched don't bring that up.  
    • You asked for video but haha, I'm not talented enough to shoot video and targets at the same time.  Here is what I did today: .22 at 25 yards and 9mm at 10 yards left hand and right hand (ignore the .22 in the corners as that was me warming up at 5 yards) and I didn't have much time so I used very little ammo.  With my 9mm, I was left high with my right hand and funnily right high with my left hand.  Disappointing 9mm shooting but pretty good (at least for me) .22 shooting at 25 yards.  

• Options
    gjshawgjshaw Member Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭

I had the same type vision problems as your having till I had multi vision cataract surgery done on both eyes. Now I see as good if not better then when I was a teenager. Getting the multi vision over the single vision cataract surgery according to my eye doctor was the only way to go. He is a good shooter and was very knowledgeable when I told him what problems I was having shooting and seeing the sights. They are more money but worth it.

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    If you can find a "dot" sight that has a clearly defined dot with your glasses, most any of the mid-priced dot sights will perform well enough for your range only expectations.
    My eyes haven't focused well on open sights for years so most of my target and hunting type handguns have dot optics mounted especially the 22's.  We shoot 22 pistols at 25, 50, and 100 YARDS vs feet.
  • Options
    @Mobuck
    22 pistol at 100 YARDS!  Wow I have a long way to go before I even attempt that.  
  • Options
    What do people think of this listing to upgrade my 22?  I currently have the 3.5 inch barrel and iron sights.  https://www.gunbroker.com/item/876166878