In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Bullet Stabilizer

Merlinnv12Merlinnv12 Member Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2020 in General Discussion
Somewhere, a while ago, I saw what was called a “bullet stabilizer” for sale. I thought it was kinda cool so I carved one out on my lathe and pressed it onto my Savage 93 17hmr rat-killer. I don’t know if it has any effect on the bullet or not, but it sure scares the hell out of the sage-rats! Central Oregon is a great place to spend a day knocking over these destructive critters. I tried to find where I might have seen these devices on line with no success. Anyone here ever heard of them? It does not suppress the noise so I don’t think I have violated any laws by adding this to my barrel. 
Any thoughts?

“What we’ve got here, is, failure to communicate.”

Comments

• Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭
    It's a harmonic balancer , by moving it up & down the barrel you find the sweet spot & it improvs your accuracy 

• Options
    Merlinnv12Merlinnv12 Member Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭✭
    It is not a harmonic balancer. It extends beyond the barrel and the bullet travels through it. It was advertised as a “Bullet Stabilizer”. I don’t remember where I saw it and can’t find it on line. 

“What we’ve got here, is, failure to communicate.”
  • Options
    waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭✭

I can’t see where it would serve any purpose, maybe added weight on the end of the barrel to give it more balance. The rifle twist is what stabilizes the bullet. It really wouldn’t serve much purpose either as a flash suppressor account of the rifle only being 17HMR. Now on the up side, it looks impressive, and if you enjoyed designing and making it, well then it was worth the time and effort.

• Options
    truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭✭
    Is it marketed by the same people who sell a device that you attach to your car's fuel line to double the car's MPG?