In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Unique Serial Numbers

4205raymond4205raymond Member Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2020 in General Discussion
Years ago I purchased a Pre-64 Model 70 Winchester Standard Weight in .270. It was made in 1950. The Serial Number is 19xx50 which I believe is highly unusual. What is even more unusual is the two digits in the center are the year my son was born. Any statisticians out there that know the odds of this happening.

Do you have any stories of Unique Serial Numbers? -------------------------------------Ray

Comments

• Options
    Nanuq907Nanuq907 Member Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭✭
    Well it depends.  What is the range of the first digit, 0-9?  Or more likely 0-2?  From there it's pretty easy.
  • Options
    victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭

No stories but I'd like to know how they get serial numbers on those tiny grains of powder and whether the government can trace it back to me.  Should I change powders?

Okay.  I'll let myself out

• Options
    bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020

MFR:  Palmetto State Arms (PSA)

Model:  Virginia-15 (AR-15) Governor Blackface said he was going to ban AR-15's.

S/N: VIRTUE 087XX

I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020

The serial # on the Taurus 740 Slim (7 shot .40) beside me here is SIX357. Thought that was kinda wild. (Too bad it is not on my .357 revolver.)

Serial # on my American Tool Co. (Made in W. Germany) nickle plated .38spcl derringer is #69X. It generated an ATF follow up call on the NICS call in. ("Are you sure?") No, we are making that up. 😬

*left off a couple digits on the 1st serial #, the second serial # has 3 digits. 😉

• Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭✭
    I've got an older revolver, S&W Terrier .38 which has a serial number 6996, no one can tell me the correct reading of the number.....is it 6996 or 9669 ???? stamp fonts are the same.  No one knows how to hold the pistol to read the number, Leo's  included   :/

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    4205raymond4205raymond Member Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭✭
    I've got an older revolver, S&W Terrier .38 which has a serial number 6996, no one can tell me the correct reading of the number.....is it 6996 or 9669 ???? stamp fonts are the same.  No one knows how to hold the pistol to read the number, Leo's  included   :/
    That is cool. Where is the number stamped? -------------Ray
  • Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭✭
    That is cool. Where is the number stamped? -------------Ray
    On the butt-end of the grip, I contacted S&W and they said "possibly" on the assembly line it could've depended on the person doing the stamping, whether they were right-handed or left handed inserting the frame into the stamper ??, like them I don't know  :)

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    mmppresmmppres Member Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭
    I have a 7mm Mauser Carbine full stock with number x01 nothing else not sure what it means but it is a fire breather.