In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Splitting 7-8 year old Cedar -

KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2020 in General Discussion

Love the smell. Got quite a bit inside for kindling/fire starting wood. Good stuff.

House smells great.

When I 1st moved down here 9 years ago, took a job working for a Landscaping, Nursery, Nursery Design Co.

We took down a huge 3'+ thick knarled Cypress from a yard/sight/Job.

I asked my Boss if we could load it on our Trailers, and let me bring it home. Great stuff.

It's really dry. Good to go.

Absolutely Love the smell.

Comments

• Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭

I remodeled my house five years ago, and came away with a pickup truck load of used cedar shingles, so it was either the dumpster for that wood, or else, my wood stove.  I have been using it to light the stove and it works great.
    I have just run out.  I went to Lowes yesterday and bought a bundle of cedar shingles.  Imported from British Columbia and I paid $37 for one bundle.
    I think this will do it for cedar I will have to switch to free wood, white pine for kindling.   I don't know of any cedar growing around here.
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    I used to use a lot of sassafras for kindling.   It burns hot and is easy to light.    
  • Options
    Nanuq907Nanuq907 Member Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭✭
    I had 40" cedars on my property on the island.  I'd put a round of cedar up on edge and have the kids get ready with big paper grocery bags, then I'd plunge the saw through the round and cut upward.  I used a skip tooth chisel chain and it made long curls, an avalanche of chips and curls falling out of the sky, kids running around catching it.  Boy did that smell great, and you could light a handful with a match.
  • Options
    love2shootlove2shoot Member Posts: 553 ✭✭✭
    Sassafras and Ash burn green quite nicely.