In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Tom Selleck's 1911 FS

Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
Here's a good one for sale. Should produce some discussion.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/879724162

Comments

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    "Feel free to contact Mr. Selleck and he will confirm..."
    Well, hell, I'll just give Tom a call tonight! 

I've been in the gun business for a very long time, and I don't trust anyone about anything. I don't see a notarized statement from TS, and I'd want to see that at the absolute minimum.

Many years ago a local SoCal auction house had several firearm's from Buddy Hackett, and even with what I would consider air tight provenance, they didn't bring huge money.  
  • Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    "Feel free to contact Mr. Selleck and he will confirm..."
    Well, hell, I'll just give Tom a call tonight! 
    :smiley: .....................if y'all don't have his number just let me know and I'll post it up for you  ;)

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,576 ✭✭✭✭
    I am reminded of the old story of Billy the kid's mom , buying up old cheap  guns at local shops as visitors to her house were always asking ?
     you don't happen to have Billy's  old pistol do you ..     well I just happen to have it would like to see it  :o
     the story goes she sold a bunch of them  over time who doubt some ones mom  ;)
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited October 2020
    When John Wayne's son Michael died in 2002 (?), several firearms were brought into my shop, all them supposing to have belonged to John Wayne, and/or his son Michael. Ron, my business partner, and an expert at research down to the most minute detail, determined that the guns were in fact the property of Batjac Productions, which was an independent film company founded by John Wayne. As the owner of the company, I suppose that Wayne was technically the owner of the guns, but that wasn't enough to approach the asking prices; especially for a Winchester M1 Garand which was supposed to be "all original" but (to the trained eye) obviously was not. 

I passed and the same auction house that auctioned off the buddy Hackett collection handled the Wayne firearms. The guns did quite well, but I sleep fine knowing that I passed them up. 
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,035 ******
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    No Provenance No biddy
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,668 ******
    I’d trust that about like I’d trust AAG reverse mortgage company.
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭
    WoW, they are among us.
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    I was thinking the gun in Magnum PI was not a 45 ACP but something smaller like a 38 super or 9mm.  You can tell by the bore and the magazine.  In reading the description I see he states that. 

To me some 1911 that Tom owned isn't really worth anything more, its just a gun.  Now if it was in a movie that would be different.

The guy seems a little angry he needs to lighten up some.
    RLTW

• Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,751 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't know but firearms owned by a "person" of some notoriety just doesn't do anything for me. It could be his firearm but to me, nothing has changed it's value. 
  • Options
    4205raymond4205raymond Member Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭✭
    Here is a similar provenance. Auction #880567237
  • Options
    thunderboltthunderbolt Member Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭
    If anyone here has one of Elvis Presley's guns, I'd like to discuss borrowing it for a photo shoot.  My wife is a big Elvis fan.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    Unacceptable hubris for someone with so much bad feedback.
    Neal
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,382 ******
    I remember seeing a pistol on the GB auctions a long while back that was supposedly owned by the late Sammy Davis Jr.  It was priced so high over what that same gun would fetch that it just seemed ridiculous to me.  Back when you could put an auction up on your wish list just to watch and it stayed there after the finish, I swear that piece was relisted a hundred times!
  • Options
    Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    In my opinion anyone who reads what this gentleman has written in his description along with all the photos of Mr. Selleck, and reads the horrible feedback he has and still bids, well the very possible, if not probable disappointment sure to follow is well deserved.  
  • Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    Does it say any where that it is the gun TS used on the show?
    That Colt has never see a movie prop.
    Opinion, previous owner does increase value, just depends on who it is.
    I have a couple owned at one time by the president of Winchester in days gone by, providence to prove it. Betcha they are worth way more than any off the shelf good ole boy gun.
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭
    My thought is why would Tom Selleck, with his alleged net worth topping 45 million need to sell something that in all reality, is likely chump change to him. Is 5 grand going make a difference to him?
    I do kinda think he's right in not providing a copy directly on the listing though I think he should say exactly what this letter says and if it is notarized. I wonder what GunBroker would do if you bought it, and it turns out to be a sloppy looking note that is signed with a vague signature or otherwise questionable wording. That seems like there would be a LOT of leeway for that interpretation.
    Personally, the second I read his tirade and even listing names, I wouldn't buy anything from him. Most websites, forums, etc have policies to prevent people from "naming and shaming" as it is often called. I'm surprised that the GB filter let the curse words through.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

Hey Tom Selleck is hawking Reverse Mortgages, because "Hey, I Trust them. You can too."

What a bunch of Who Haw.....................................................

Figured he must be hard up.

• Options
    I heard he was thinking of buying Tennessee and tossing all you rif raf out. 
  • Options
    mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭
    I would like to have an Audy Murphy gun............
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    I read his description.  SO WHAT a phone call, a kiss and a promise to respect you in the morning has more weight.
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,668 ******

Brookwood, I remember the Sammy Davis gun. Wasn't it a S&w 57 nickel. 41 magnum?

• Options
    I spent several hours backstage with Sammy Davis during the Jerry Lewis Telethon 1985. We were just talking but I didn't know at the time how into guns he was. 
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    I don't know but firearms owned by a "person" of some notoriety just doesn't do anything for me. It could be his firearm but to me, nothing has changed it's value. 

Oh great, now what the heck am I going to do with Hitler's PPk/s …..:)
  • Options
    It would go nicely with George Patton's M1 Garand. I know it belonged to George because it's marked "P" for Patton! Just contact the Patton family and they'll confirm it.

• Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭

I was friends with a couple Patton boys. Crazy times. They liked lifted Chevys, three wheelers, Bud and Jack. The Pap did use a M1.

• Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    It would go nicely with George Patton's M1 Garand. I know it belonged to George because it's marked "P" for Patton! Just contact the Patton family and they'll confirm it.

Looks like George only brought home the stock. 
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    O.K. guys, this has gone on long enough.
    Posting Guidelines:
    Complaints or criticism about GunBroker.com, its staff, its policies, or any buyer or seller on that site. If you have a problem with an auction transaction use the auction feedback system and/or contact tech support.

This one is closed.

This discussion has been closed.