In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Semi Auto Single Shot Bolt Action

Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2020 in General Discussion
A little over a year ago a customer gave me a Stevens model 87B .22 lr. rifle. It has set in a corner till I decided to test fire it. I first tore it down and gave it a good cleaning. Took it home yesterday and ran a few rounds through and it shot great. I took it back to the office and had the bright idea to sand the stock and refinish. Why?? I don't know but three hours later I have what looks like a birch stock that will need several more hours work before I am done.
It is a pretty cool rifle, one of the "gill guns" with the eight slots cut into the receiver opposite the ejection port. It can run as a semi auto or as a single shot if you chamber a round and push the bolt handle into the receiver. This locks the bolt and you would then need to pull out on the bolt handle and rack the bolt to chamber a round. By doing this one can shoot .22 short or .22 long ammo without jamming the action. Printed on the barrel " Only Long Rifle As Automatic".  
If you fire a round and hold the trigger in the rearward position the bolt remains open. It will only close when the trigger is released. Strange but it is something different than a 10/22 so that is kinda nice.

Comments

• Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    Cool gun Ricci.
    RLTW

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,555 ✭✭✭✭
      as a kid and as far back as i remember my dad had a 22 loaded hanging on the wall . how long or where he got it I never ask 
     but he only had three guns a pistol normally a low end 22 or25 auto that he seemed to like to trade around as long as he one to carry  that 22 rifle and a 16 ga shotgun I bought for him ( with moms help ) when I was 16 
        any way I am not sure he ever shot the 22 , he would just take it down  empty out the ammo most likely as old as the gun  .         wipe it down with good old 3in1 oil and back on the wall when I was about 25 or so I took it to my house for a cleaning and just shoot it 
     I  took the rifle all apart gave it a good cleaning and then found out its quirks when I went to shoot it 
     I though it was broke at first . when holding the trigger as you say  the bolt stayed back  WTH 
     and of course the bolt pushing thru the receiver was easy to figure out   its a 87 a also by the way ( 22, s, l and lr roll marked ) 
         I had dad stop by that weekend to take it back home but  we shot it and a 22 I had at the time . thats when I figured out he must have never fired it  as he was surprised at how it worked also
        before  he passed many years later but knew he had a short time  ( RIP Dad ) he gave them to me to take home . I still have them  locked in the safe value is really not much ,  but sentimental value its priceless  I will pass them on to my sons I am sure they will keep them and hopfuly pass them and the story on some day 

• Options
    chmechme Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭
    That bolt hold back gave them their other nickname- Click Clack rifle.  
  • Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭

Been running an 87A for better than 50 years . Still my go to .22 rifle

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war.....