In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

My Uncle Jack

4205raymond4205raymond Member Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2020 in General Discussion
Uncle Jack is a country boy from Louisa County, Virginia. His dad was 60 and his mom was 48 when he was born. I was his mom and dads first grandchild and Uncle Jack was there last child of seven. Jacks father (my grandfather} died in 1968 and Jack was left all alone to fend for himself and his mom. He started to work at age thirteen I think. When Grandpa passed away his obit said one of the most respected men in the county. He was known for turning a "Sow's ear into a silk purse" and they say he passed it on to Uncle Jack and me. Uncle Jack worked many jobs and ended up last 17 years working as a line supervisor (Welder) for a large British company and restoring Mustangs on the side. Got tired of working for the man I guess about 15 years ago and has been restoring Mustangs in Apple Grove, ( Mineral) Virginia. He loves what he does and it shows in his work. Amazing that his shop is right across highway from seven room school house that i attended in 1949.

Sometimes I get bored and crawl out of "37 Heaven and do something that is not Kosher with my '37's. My Uncle Jack is good at turning those rust buckets into beautiful Mustangs and maybe he will like this Sow's Ear that I tried to turn into a Silk Purse. I want to thank one of you fellas for telling me to start letting go of my '37's. I am sorry I don't remember who it was right now. I darn sure can't take them with me when I kick off. Here it is. ---------------------------------Ray

Comments

• MercuryMercury Member Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Nice. I thought this was going to be a story about punctuation and a horse, etc. :D

Merc
  • buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,235 ✭✭✭✭
    I have a model 37 in the safe that I bought at a gun show in Columbia SC .It had been neglected and is in rough shape,but I felt sorry for such a fine old single shot laying on a table with junkers.
  • pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭✭

Model 37 in 16 gauge was my first shotgun from my Grandfather . Rest assured it will be the last to leave my hands .

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,934 ✭✭✭✭
    pulsarnc said:

Model 37 in 16 gauge was my first shotgun from my Grandfather . Rest assured it will be the last to leave my hands .

Same with me however I gave it to my nephew last year. Don
  • BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful job and I bet he will appreciate it even more because you did the work. Bob
  • 4205raymond4205raymond Member Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Thought you guys and gals would like some background facts. Sorry, I don't have a good camera. Pictures are from my cheap Verizon flip phone. This whole firearm was just parts laying around gathering dust that did not come up to my standards for other '37 restorations. That is except for the green laser. I left pressure switch off the fore end stock because I was afraid the tape adhesive would dissolve the finish in time. I will let my Uncle Jack play with it. Could be stuck on barrel at edge of stock w/o damage. Uncle Jack is a lot like me and never throws anything away that he can use later on. This guy can build a Mustang frame from memory and is the best upside down welder I have ever seen.

The gold paint in the lettering really looks like gold, at least it does to me. I had a hard time finding a piece of brass that thick for butt plate. Checked all the junk yards and no go. Finally found a guy in Utah who sold me a small sheet.

When I got it all together I eyeball bore sighted it in my cellar with the green laser and fired it with #4buckshot. All pellets including wad at 15 feet were clustered in less than 3". I would not like to be on the receiving end of that!  Impact is one inch right and one inch low. Will let Uncle Jack play with final zero and green laser. 

Called NY Field Office of ATF and gun is completely legal. Also talked to BCI, NYSP and gun is completely legal. NYSP Troopers said if stopped in Maryland they will be very taken back and you will answer a lot of stupid questions for a very long time and then they will let you go.

I have another 1st year '37 12Ga. that is not Kosher also. It is case hardened and coated with clear Cerakote  with the Winchester on the bottom filled with the gold instead of Red Letters. I think Turnbull would be proud of it. If I ever get a camera to do justice to it, I will put pictures on GB. Picture above is my Uncle Jack in his shop.-------Ray
  • Aztngundoc22Aztngundoc22 Member Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭
    OK : 
    I had a 'unclejack' ,,, My favorite Uncle !!!!
    Most of the ;kids; in the family called him 'Apple Jack' ???? 
    Great Carpenter !!! learned  at bunch ( woodworkind ) from him !!!!
    and :::
    He left me a Win. Model 12 :::
    Great Memonies ::::
    Thanks !!!

The more people I meet : The more I like my Dog :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I Grew Old Too Fast (And Smart Too damn Slow !!!) !!! :o :?