In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Firewood, 1st Year Ever -

KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

Having all my wood, inside a shed. Covered from the weather, and baking in the Sun.

Pouring now, as it has been all day. Loving knowing all my wood is dry, not getting drenched.

Comments

• Options
    SW0320SW0320 Member Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    I envy you.  That was my plan but after getting hit by the druck driver a month ago and getting hurt, mine is still in the pile after it got split.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    I never really understood the "covered woodpile". Then again, my big wood furnace in the basement had no great affinity for dead dry wood to begin with. Green wood, snow/ice crusted wood, it was all the same. 
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a 8x10 shed would  hold if you stacked it 5' tall around 3 cord. Those metal sheds get warm in the summer which should help the wood dry out.
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    Always a good feeling when the winter's wood is laid in.
  • Options

8X20' shed. All laid in and stacked in the front 1/3rd.

Love having it in, in the dry. (Has been pouring rain, last couple days.)

Old Wood Stove (Double door Fischer Grandma model?) would have burned whatever. 20-30% efficiency. New Wood stove is a High Efficiency unit requiring wood to be "17% drier or better." Trying to see what I can do to attain that.

Hopeful my wood heat output justifies the $$ outlay.

• Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭

I like my little woodshed.  Got to have dry wood for the big Norwegian stove.
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,382 ******
    I have a couple memories about having to go out to the woodshed.  :/  :'(   

I know I deserved what I got and it made me the better man that I grew up to be!   o:)   Well, still working on the halo!  :)
  • Options
    dpmuledpmule Member Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭✭
    I drove by a wood shed yesterday in Bondurant Wyoming that I'm guessing was 16x40x8 and filled to the brim with split pine, he had some where around 40 cord laid in there.  Bondurant is one of those holes  that the cold goes into, when everyplace around is -10, Bondurant will be -25/-30 or more.

Mule
  • Options
    chmechme Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭
    Our woodburner is a Woodchuck hot air furnace (in the basement) walk out thru sliding doors into a sunken courtyard.  The house projects out 12 ft, giving me a covered area big enough for 3 cords of firewood right outside the doors- under cover, sitting on concrete.  We mainly burn white and red oak,  some hickory.  2 year old split and dried burns hot enuff it leaves white firebrick.  Connected to the ductwork for the house, can flip a damper and run heatpump or the furnace.  While it DOES have a pair of blowers, will still work when power is off. We went 8 days in January with no power- house was still 73 degrees.  IMHO, if you want dry firewood, needs to have air free to circulate around it.      
  • Options

An enviable set up chme. I had a wood furnace in the basement of a house up North. Ducted throughout the house, like central air. Automatic damper. That thing was awesome.

Have not fired up my new woodstove yet. Been very close. Around 35° this AM.

My current wood supply is inside a large 8X20 shed. It gets very hot inside. Wood essentially bakes, and is kept dry. (Ala' Allen Griggs set up.)

As stated, 1st time I have stored my wood inside. New "high efficiency woodstove requires wood 17% dry or better."