In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Steaks Locally

select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
Sent my Wife to go look. Score...T bones 5.99 pound.. she bought almost all... Porterhouse..6.29 bought all. Just got thru vacuum sealing .

Comments

• Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    I bought a whole ribeye and had it sliced just last week.  IIRC $5.99/pound.
  • Options
    Funny that beef steak is almost reasonable, hamburger is higher than a cat's back and bacon is in short supply.
  • Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,196 ******

Love me some Porter House.

Best around here is $8 per pound for it.

• Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭✭
    Found the same thing,  in fact T bones were 4.99.  Whole chickens always .95 or better. 
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,034 ******
    We go to our local butcher.  Love his bison cuts.  We also get the local raised beef he has.  
  • Options
    dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,787 ✭✭✭✭
    My grandmother had a grocery store when I was a kid.  She specialized in meat.  I learned to cut pork chops when I was around 9 or 10.  Grandma had the best meat in town and it was a whole lot better than the steaks of today!!  We don't like paying beef prices, particularly when the quality is often spotty, both of us think the price is way high compared to boneless, skinless chicken breasts at 1.69 to 1.99 a lb.  I just bought two pork loins for 1.78 per lb.  I'm old school.  I can remember when steak was both flavorful and tender.  Now it seems like I can have one but not both.  A couple of years ago I bought some steaks on sale.  I figured out why it was on sale.  No flavor and tough.  We use our little hand crank meat grinder to make ground chicken and ground pork to use in place of ground beef.  If we grill the chicken or the pork correctly we get flavorful and tender for a whole lot less money!!  Throw in grilled ,planked, salmon and tuna tartare and we rarely eat beef!!  But that's just us!
  • Options
    redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,686 ✭✭✭✭
    Steaks I raised. Think I have the finishing feed rate figured out. No gamey taste and just the right amount of fat. This last  beef I put in my freezer has been the best I have ever ate!

• Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

Have two nice big thick (bone in) Pork chops in the fridge. I enjoy a good chop almost as much as a good steak. I peruse the Steak section on occasion and will grab a couple nice lean NY Strips if they are in the $5.99 range.

I'm good with a couple nice minute steaks also when I get that meat craving. Marinated in my standard Worcestershire and Kikkoman soy sauce, salt/pepper. (Same with the Chops.)

Hard to beat chicken/pork at the price/lb.

*redneckandy, is that side Zucchini and Yellow squash? I've been eating a lot of that this summer/fall. Small cast iron skillet, in the oven while the meat is in a seperate larger cast iron skillet. Little EVOO salt/pepper. Been doing a lot of halved Russet potatoes flat side down in EVOO salt/pepper at the same time, but hard to beat a baked potatoe, butter, sour cream. Mmmnnn.......looks good.

• Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,668 ******
    You guys must be rich. My local steaks come from the deer I kill.
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    I am vegan now ;)

RLTW

• Options
    dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,787 ✭✭✭✭
    Better be careful letting people know you are a vegan!!!  I've been told if things get so bad we have to resort to canabalism (sp) to eat the vegans first!!  They are the closest to grass fed!      :p
  • Options
    Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭
    Yep I love good beef. I had a Wendy's Double for lunch, all the way except cheese. Damn good beef right there.  
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    Red meat at this house is DEER.  I love PORK but DEER is cheaper and better for you.  Chicken, if on sale, okay, I'll buy it.  If I go out to eat dinner a good beef steak is always on top of the list unless the pork robs are rated better.
  • Options
    redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,686 ✭✭✭✭
    Sure is KenK. Season em about the same of you but cook em on the grill instead.