In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Feel weird listing my gun "AS IS."

Austringer62Austringer62 Member Posts: 34
Hello,
I have sold a a couple of non-gun items on Gun Broker, and have just listed my first firearm.  I'm selling some of my guns I haven't used in a very long time, and this is the first one I listed.  When looking around on GB it seems the guns I'm looking at are usually sold AS IS, so that's how I listed it.  
These are my guns, I know them and I know they are in great shape.  I do my very best to take really good pictures, and I would point out if anything were wrong with them.  However, if something I did not anticipate happened, l would be more than willing to take responsibility.  This most recent listing is a revolver.  So the buyer takes it to the range, takes a shot, and the cylinder won't open (...not going to happen...).  I would tell him to take it to a gunsmith and would pay for it, or take the gun back if he prefers that.  But I don't want the buyer to decide he wants blued instead of stainless and expect me to pay shipping to get my gun back.  How do I list that in a way to avoid being taken advantage of?
Thanks in advance for any advice from experienced sellers.  

Comments

• redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,682 ✭✭✭✭
    You can't predict the future. List what you know and sell as is. If there is an obvious mistake in you listing do what you can to correct it but don't honor "buyers remorse".
  • montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,892 ******
    Welcome to the forums.  Post up the link to your auction.
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, it's all I do, AS IS, as I was burnt a few times. PLEASE post a link of your auctions here and you might get some bids. Love looking and bidding on something from the forum members.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    There are many fine people who sell guns AS IS.  But, there are also a few scoundrels that knowingly sell defective guns AS IS.  The problem is, how does a buyer tell the difference?   It certainly helps if a seller has lots of good feedback & has earned a good reputation over the years.  Not so easy if you are a newbie, & potential buyers have little to go by; the higher the price, the more potential buyers will drop out.
    When I sell a gun, I offer a 30 day return period, firing permitted.  I state, "if you decide you just don't want it, you pay shipping both ways; if it is not as described, I will pay shipping both ways."  I think that's only fair; I'm sure that some readers will think I'm foolish.  You have to decide what decisions you make will allow you to sleep at night.
    Neal
    EDIT:  I've never been burned.  But, buy & sell enough of anything, odds are that you will eventually have a bad experience.
  • Austringer62Austringer62 Member Posts: 34
    I'm sorry for the late reply!  Here is the link:
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/881240747

Thank you all for your feedback!  I see why so many listings are as is, it makes a lot of sense.  Especially in my state, where I have to pay transfer fees for every transaction.  It would cost me $90.00 to send, receive back, then send again for a new sale.  That's not counting shipping.  
    NMYERS, has that approach worked for you?  Have you had a lot of people send back guns without a good reason?  I really like that approach because I like my guns, and can't imagine anybody else wouldn't like them as much as I do!  
    Marc

• mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    It looks like a nice pistol. The listing seems well thought out and the photos are good quality. Keep in mind that PayPal does not allow for the purchase of firearms and ammunition. Even though previous transactions went smoothly, if this one doesn't, Gun Broker will not lift a finger to assist. 

https://support.gunbroker.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002837773-Use-of-PayPal-

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/acceptableuse-full
    Thank you so much for that information!  I have only sold non-gun items so far, so I wasn't aware of that.  I have a couple more guns to sell, I will no longer list PayPal as payment option.
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    When I do get around to selling some guns, I intend to honor returns, but selling "AS IS" is a lot more common today than it was many years back, and having lived long enough to know that one should never say never, I might end up selling both ways.  I don't like the idea of getting something in a condition other than how it was advertised, and I certainly don't want someone to be screwed in this respect, no matter the reason.  So taking the loss, initially, if any items are damaged or lost in shipping USPS, I will be responsible for filing any insurance claims in an effort to be compensated.  The inspection period does work in the buyers favor.  That said, the key words above are "how it was advertised" meaning that if it fits the description in the write up and/or in the pictures, it is the buyer's to own.  In the final analysis, I like the idea of having satisfied buyers.

I really do like Neal's comments, too!
    What's next?
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    I mean, you could just put everything you mention in this post in your listing.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
    As much as it goes against my nature to take something easy, and not explore, in depth, every possible way to make it complicated, I'm going to have to go with this one.
    I'm not even sure how to thank you without losing face....
    Thanks!
  • KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

Posting "As Is," removes the Posers.

The rest of us know and realize a "Stand Up Seller," will make good if there is a Serious issue.

I have yet to be screwed, after about 35+ Buys on GB.

Best Firearms Buying/Selling site out there.

Welcome to the Forums.

• Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,616 ✭✭✭✭
    I had a guy that was unhappy with the “color” of his Winchester 22 trainer......a guy that said he didn’t realize the trigger guard had scuffs, even though it showed the flaws if five detailed pictures......someone that didn’t know anything at all about revolvers and thought his gun was cracked (it was the side plate)....someone once didn’t know the gun he bought was a single shot......another guy didn’t know his purchase was double action only.     You’d be surprised how many people will throw a fit because they didn’t do any homework at all about what they are buying, don’t read the listing or scroll through the pictures.    If you’re doing a few sales it’s probably never going to be an issue.   
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    As much as it goes against my nature to take something easy, and not explore, in depth, every possible way to make it complicated, I'm going to have to go with this one.
    I'm not even sure how to thank you without losing face....
    Thanks!

I'm a firm believer in saying what you mean and meaning what you say. I don't think you can do it simpler than to just say this (maybe with a couple edits).
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • diver-rigdiver-rig Member Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭✭

He didn’t even ask, “Who the hell is...”

welcome to the forum!

Very nice auction, in my humble opinion.

• dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭
    I have spent way to much on guns lately so I don't think I will bid but I have said for years a 44 Special revolver loaded with a good hard cast lead bullet powered at 44 Special velocities might be as good a self defense round as one could be armed with!!  A 240 to 260 hard cast lead bullet at 800 fps would punch holes all the way through the normal human torso.  I don't think most bones would even slow that 44 bullet up!!
  • chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,715 ✭✭✭✭
    This PayPal only for guns and ammo here on GunBroker is now an epidemic. Someone needs to tell the emperor. 
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭

I pushed it a bit. Would be like you said a great hike firearm.

• bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    If the gun was fine when you sold it to him it makes me wonder if he was shooting super-duper magnum handloads that locked the gun up.... Selling "AS IS" is a normal phrase used when selling used items.  It means you are buying the item and any issues or problems it may have at the same time.  If you listed all KNOWN issues with the item it becomes the buyers responsibility to assure the gun is functional and safe before firing it.  Many times buyers remorse kicks in and whoops, the wife found out is also a biggie.  Allowing returns for dubious reasons only hurts the seller.
    Hello again!
    I just wanted to post some observations, and an update on my listing. 
    First off, thank you all again for replying to my post, offering up good advice, and for your kind words.  I am surprised by this board, I would not have expected it so be so informative, diverse in subject matter, and plain fun.  That's all I need....something else to distract me from my real life duties...

Now to my listing.  In theory it worked out very well, ending at $550.00.  I was a little worried during bidding because I noticed several "NR" bidders, but reminded myself that I am not exactly an experienced seller with 3 reviews.  After the sale I immediately reached out, and received a response, with phone number right away.  We had a very nice conversation the next day, and I was sure the sale would go off without a hitch.  Unfortunately, I have called, texted, and emailed since then, with no response.  It's only day 4, so I plan on giving it some more time.  

As I see it there are two options.  He changed his mind, in which case I hope he will let me know, or something bad happened in his life and buying a gun is the last thing on his mind.  Of the two, of course I hope and pray it is option 1!

Thanks again!
    Marc
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    I hate to hear stories like that.  But, look up the Non Paying Bidder protocol, print it out, & follow the instructions to the smallest detail.  I usually send 3 requests for contact through the GB website, 3 emails, & document the date & times of 3 phone calls.  You may get lucky & find that the buyer had some type of emergency, & there's still a chance that it may work out for you.  If not, no point in getting angry, just move on.
    Neal
  • Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,616 ✭✭✭✭
    Hello again!
    I just wanted to post some observations, and an update on my listing. 
    First off, thank you all again for replying to my post, offering up good advice, and for your kind words.  I am surprised by this board, I would not have expected it so be so informative, diverse in subject matter, and plain fun.  That's all I need....something else to distract me from my real life duties...

Now to my listing.  In theory it worked out very well, ending at $550.00.  I was a little worried during bidding because I noticed several "NR" bidders, but reminded myself that I am not exactly an experienced seller with 3 reviews.  After the sale I immediately reached out, and received a response, with phone number right away.  We had a very nice conversation the next day, and I was sure the sale would go off without a hitch.  Unfortunately, I have called, texted, and emailed since then, with no response.  It's only day 4, so I plan on giving it some more time.  

As I see it there are two options.  He changed his mind, in which case I hope he will let me know, or something bad happened in his life and buying a gun is the last thing on his mind.  Of the two, of course I hope and pray it is option 1!

Thanks again!
    Marc
    One conversation should be enough.....since you did hear from the buyer I'm relatively sure he's going to follow through.   I usually wait at least two weeks myself before sending over the payment reminder.   
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

Hope you hang out and contribute to the forums. Yes, it can be an extremely diverse, entertaining, and mostly fun environment.

Put on your waders/rubber boots and post. 😉

Yes, I agree, unless I hear back from him telling me he is no longer interested, I will give it some time.  
    I will be checking this forum regularly for sure, maybe I'll even have something worthwhile to contribute every now and then.  
  • susiesusie Member Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭✭

I for one pride myself on having nothing worthwhile to post. Lol.

I see the forum as a virtual campfire with everyone gathered around shooting the bull, swapping advice and sharing their jaded insight into life's ups and downs. Been here since 1999.

Pull up a stump and sit a spell.

• slingerslinger Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭
    This has to be the smoothest first post, with a side order of shameless plug, that I've ever seen.
    I agree 100%. Austringer62 is polite, well spoken and appreciative of all of the advice provided. Considering how many first time posters have been banned from the forum within five or ten minutes,******** he's a breath of fresh air. ************
    Then he should be sent to AOC, for promotion. This is supposed to be a joke.