In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Making a listing for a used pistol, I live in TN, do I need to get sales tax?

I've never sold a gun before, let alone online. I assume tax doesn't apply for a used item, but I want to find out for sure before I post my listing. Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited October 2020
    Welcome to the forums.

You aren't obligated to collect sales taxes. Any taxes which may be due at point of sale will be collected by the dealer who is transferring the pistol to the buyer.
  • Options
    enormitydaveenormitydave Member Posts: 6
    Welcome to the forums.

You aren't obligated to collect sales taxes. Any taxes which may be due at point of sale will be collected by the dealer who is transferring the pistol to the buyer.

Thanks Mark! Do I ship directly to their FFL or do I need to have my favorite FFL ship it out?
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited October 2020
    Here comes the issue with shipping a handgun. You can ship a handgun UPS or FedEx, but it must go by air, which is going to cost you somewhere in the $60 range.

Only licensed dealers and manufacturers can use the US Mail (Post Office) and mail handguns. I just mailed a pistol for my neighbor (I am a Class 3 firearms dealer) and priority mail with $600 insurance cost $25. As you can see, having your dealer mail the pistol for you will result in considerable savings. 

• Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    Here comes the issue with shipping a handgun. You can ship a handgun UPS or FedEx, but it must go by air, which is going to cost you somewhere in the $60 range.

Only licensed dealers and manufacturers can use the US Mail (Post Office) and mail handguns. I just mailed a pistol for my neighbor (I am a Class 3 firearms dealer) and priority mail with $600 insurance cost $25. As you can see, having your dealer mail the pistol for you will result in considerable savings. 

I would guess that for the $25 Mark, you didn't charge the guy a fee for your services? Most FFL's I know charge on top of the USPS charges, but it's still cheaper, and easier than doing the air shipping thru a hub store.