In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

JasonV

SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
I'm heading out tomorrow morning for the high plains.  How are the bird numbers in your area and did you go last weekend for the resident only hunt?   My friend tells me they are shooting ducks and there are plenty of them this year.

Comments

• Options
    JasonVJasonV Member Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭

I did go last week. I live east of Mitchell SD.

We hunted around Salem SD. Had 4 guys and two dogs. Hunted for 3 hours.

We got up 6 roosters and had shots at two of them and missed them both.

We probably saw a dozen hens.

seeing 6 roosters in three hours of walking is pretty good number of birds for public ground from my past experiences. So the numbers seem to be good.

I talked to one commercial guide who said all his out of state hunters canceled on him due to covid. but i. The news the morning it was reported non resident license numbers are up. So we will see if the large numbers come to hunt.

It seems that most of the corn is out or will be for the big opening day.

it is VERY dry.

formerly known as warpig883
  • Options
    Thanks
    I drive through Mitchell on I-90.   I have stopped there a few times.   My friend lives about 60 miles north of Pierre in Gettysburg.   So I'll be hunting in that area.  He has permission to hunt 5000 acres of private ground west of the river but I think the reservation has closed the roads to access.

We hunt a lot of public land but he has access to quite a few private farms as well.   I haven't been for a few years and I'm looking forward to it.

Happy hunting
  • Options
    JasonVJasonV Member Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭

That is good hunting north of Pierre. I would bet you will be in the birds.

Have fun!!

formerly known as warpig883
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a great time. I'm leaving for North Dakota tomorrow evening.
  • Options
    toad67 said:
    Sounds like a great time. I'm leaving for North Dakota tomorrow evening.
    Here's rooting for lot's of fun in the Dakotas.   May the birds be plentiful and our shots be true.  (I'm taking plenty of shells anyway, just in case)