In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

New targets moving in

dpmuledpmule Member Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭✭
A young gal my wife knows saw three little ones around shoat size, in the river bottom of the Snake just a couple miles north of us earlier this year.
Sounds like the problem may already be bigger than realized.

https://www.idahostatejournal.com/news/local/feral-hog-shot-dead-in-east-idaho/article_2a8dd8a2-ed5c-55e2-8f6d-7756c1e0bd6b.html

Mule

Comments

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    I hope they can be all killed before they get several litters of the buggers tearing up everything in sight.
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    Its already too late.  They breed like crazy.  If you see one there are 100 you don't see.
    RLTW

• Options
    mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭
    They are terrible here in Texas. Very destructive. Good thing is they are not considered game animals so there is no season and they can be shot year round.
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,034 ******
    That ain't good news, mule. Dangit.
  • Options
    ltcdotyltcdoty Member Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭
    New York State had a rule that you can shoot them on sight. Several years ago they changed that to no shooting...just report the sighting. Some Encon people will say, " what feral pigs?"...
  • Options
    dpmuledpmule Member Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭✭

IDF&G has said.

if you have a hunting license, these hogs are fair game.

When the leaves finish coming off and we have some snow, guess I might have to go prowl around the river bottom.

Mule

• Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,034 ******
    They any good to eat?
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    "New York State had a rule that you can shoot them on sight. Several years ago they changed that to no shooting...just report the sighting. Some Encon people will say, " what feral pigs?"..."
    That's sort of how it went in Missouri.  Now feral hogs run rampant in the southern part of the state while MO Dept of Consternation demands that NO ONE but their employees are allowed to disturb the porkers on most of the state owned land. Unfortunately, the state employees are as inept at annihilating the pigs as they are at most of their other "management activities".
  • Options
    susiesusie Member Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭✭

Mobuck, yep, seeing more sign of them in Mark Twain National Forest near Alton, MO every year. Farmers aren't seeing much of their presence yet. On private land any sighting is met with a quick demise.

• Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

While I'd love to hunt the smaller ones for Sport and meat. I realize how destructive they are.

Thought they would be in my area by now. Probably coming.

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    The massive damage from feral hogs will never be brought under control unless the people and the governments implement an eradication program on a national level. We managed to nearly eradicate the wolf when the ranchers waged a political war against seated representatives in order to provide the basis for shooting and poisoning wolf populations to the point of nonexistence.

Hogs breed with such frequency and in such large numbers that all of these little, disparate attempts amount to absolutely nothing in reality. Count in the liberal PITA people protesting against every move to gain an edge on all of the feral populations and we have the very same conditions which are contributing to the ravaging of our land, cultivated and natural.

We have to go HUGE and National basis, not just little dabs at small attempts to kill a few hogs.

Best.

• Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Some disgruntled hunters turned a trailer load, 25 plus. lose near here.
    Several days and nights later they all vanished but one, you know them critters can get smart.
    Last one was rooting up the neighbors seedling patch, thuty thuty out the window and he was bacon. Went about 250 pounds. You ought to see what they can do to a patch of 6 feet tall Christmas trees.
    The females are not to different in taste than a tame hog. Boars, that is another story.

• Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,596 ✭✭✭✭
    There have been sightings of them here in Central Mo....3 have been shot across the road from the back end of our place....I have been dreading this for the last several years....Most of our land is terraced and there is always a little moisture in the bottom of the terraces.   My neighbor and I have been talking..  It may be time to buy that night vision I always wanted and try to get out in front of this.........
  • Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭✭

Lots of them in various areas of NC. They are all up and down the river near my house . Fortunately none on my farm land , as of yet but common about 2 miles up the road . Just a question of time before they spread out and reach me . Like noted the boars taste rank and filthy . Gilts and sows are pretty good eating . My taxidermist is crazy . He hunts with a group using catch dogs and then they spear the hogs . Me , I’m just going to shoot him and be done with it

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    bwctbwct Member Posts: 44 ✭✭
    Trapping is the only effective way to reduce numbers; eradication is probably an unattainable goal.
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,668 ******
    What do you do with them after you trap them? Spay and neuter them?
  • Options
    bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭

jimdeere said:

What do you do with them after you trap them? Spay and neuter them?

Seems I read about California having a hog problem years ago...I have not heard anything recently.

I suppose, they trapped them, reasoned with them, made free birth control methods available, then returned them to the wild.

PROBLEM SOLVED!

I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"