In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

to much?????

hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2020 in General Discussion
neighbor was cleaning out his building the other day and I walked over to help him he is 82. anyway in the back was an old troybuilt pushmower with a honda engine, he said it hadn't run in about 6-7 years, poured a little gas in it and pulled, no start, he said throw it out, me being the scrounger asked him if I could have it, he said if I helped him carry the junk to the curb I could have it all. anyway pulled the plug squirted some fluid in it and it fired and ran few seconds, pulled carb and when pulled float bowl off it looked like someone had filled it with flour. ordered a new carb amazon, plug, fuel filter, breather and all for $18. put the carb on it today and it fired right up, put shutoff on fuel line, as I like to shut it off and run them dry when I put small engine away.

asked the neighbor if he wanted it back and he just laughed, he has mowing company do his lawn and he said what for to sit in building. so had wife put it on facebook for $50 just had a guy leave said it was hard to start, when I turned gas back on it took half dozen pulls to start, after that it was first or second.  He said he didn't want it, hard to start and wheels shakey.  paint is good no rust, high rear wheels and runs, I mean it ain't gonna be new for $50, guess I will keep it for a spare

Comments

• Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭✭
    The engine is worth more than 50 bucks. Keep listing it but raise the price to $100 and sooner or later let someone talk you down a bit.😁 Bob
  • Options
    mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭
    My stepfather was a small engine wiz............usually a carb overhaul will rejuvenate most small engines. just keep it.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭
    A Honda engine with a new carb? Put a new spark plug in it and use non-ethanol gas; it ought to run forever.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,381 ***** Forums Admin
    What Bob said. Troybuilt mower with a Honda engine? You priced it too cheap. I'd put it up for $150
  • Options
    Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭
    I have a friend that sell Lawn Mowers and he is completely sold out. Some things are hard to get so it may be worth more than you think. Of course grass cutting is about over for this year. Might want to save it till next season.
  • Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭✭
    A Honda engine with a new carb? Put a new spark plug in it and use non-ethanol gas; it ought to run forever.
    I agree, but if one must use ethanol an ounce or so of Seafoam in a typical size mower tank will help. This is the only additive that I have found that actually works. Bob
  • Options
    OkieOkie Member Posts: 991 ✭✭✭
    I've got a similar unit that wife uses. I use a riding mower.
    Hers has a Honda engine, keep it covered outside during winter full of gas. Turn on the petcock after it sets for 6-7 mo's and sometimes starts first pull and not over 3 pulls. Keep the Honda engine covered good or store  inside and you can extend their life.
    This one has the rear bagger and pulls itself with front wheel drive. The big rear plastic wheels broke due to wife overloading the bagger. I got same size steel wheels from amazon for like $25. (New replacement plastic wheels were  too costly.

The mower was given to me about 6 years ago non-running due to clogged carb. Removed carb cleaned bowl and all ok. Honda engines are like the energizer bunny if little TLC thrown their way.
    I know some people that this mower would not last one mowing season and they would whine and complain after it quit even if I gave them the mower.

The more people I meet the more I like my dog.

• Options
    4205raymond4205raymond Member Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭✭
    hillbillie, you simply would not believe how many lawnmowers/lawntractors I have fixed and/or sold to partially support my "37 Winchester collection. My BIL worked for local village highway dept. and called me or brought me all the road kill which I fixed and gave him 15% of sale. Most memorable was a brand new (used less than 30 minutes) $300+ lawn mower that guy hit large rock with. HD lifted and saw bent crank and said no way on refund. Had to saw the crankshaft in half just to separate the case Cost me new shear key and $28 for new crankshaft from Rotary in Pa.----------------------Ray
  • Options
    Nanuq907Nanuq907 Member Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Honda?  That's a $100 mower easy.  Probably next spring.
    My dad used to drive around and scavenge mowers from people's trash piles with permission.  He'd clean them up and get them running good, then give them away or maybe charge $25 for parts.  I sure admired that about him.  He kept all the neighborhood kids in bikes the same way.
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭
    Nanuq I have done that myself with bikes, usually a $10 or less fix, then take em over and give them to the boys and girls club, they usually know a few kids who could use them.....