In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.348 Win

bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭
Anyone ever shoot one? What was the recoil like?
"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"

Comments

• Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,453 ✭✭✭✭

About the same as 30-06 maybe a little more

• Options
    chmechme Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭
    Got one.  200 grain bullet, similar to a 30-06 with 180 grain,  Intended for 300 yards or less (flat tip bullet due to tube magazine) will put anything  on the ground on this half of the world.  Recoil is not ferocious, but it damn sure ain't a thutty-thutty.  
  • Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,474 ✭✭✭✭
    Not bad, about the same as a 300 win mag 150gr load. Depends on what you shoot it in because the old Winchester stocks seem to exaggerate the recoil. Bob
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    Friend has one and fired a number of times. Recoil noticeable but not close to a 45-70. They are well made reminiscent of when WW quality was high. The 71 is heavier than a 94. Many were converted to 45 Alaskan.... Talk about recoil.

Problem will be finding ammo and it is expensive. Brass is bought up quickly because it can be used for making most of the old Winchester and many black powder carts, especially those used by the 76 and 86 Winchesters. Can also be formed into a number of  obsolete European carts. 
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,453 ✭✭✭✭

Buffalo Bore and Hornady at least load it now which makes it a little easier to find it then before when you had to wait on Winchester to make a special run

• Options
    Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭
    My buddy an I had a couple sometime in the 1980's. I think the Winchester 71 and the Browning clones were the only guns chambered for the .348. Recoil wasn't bad. I bought a deluxe model 71 from a pawn shop. He started at $1400.00 and it would probably been fair except some fool has scratched his drivers license number in the left side of the receiver and I bought it for $450.00. That rifle was traded to  Bill, a friend from Montana. Bill, a gifted stock maker, would come to N.C. and work with another gunsmith I knew here for a few months every year. He saw my 71 and just had to have it for a saddle gun and traded me a .45 Colt Anaconda. 
  • Options
    bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020

I once lusted after a 348.

Some years ago 348's were fairly popular in SE Alaska.

They were good at killing deer (Sitka Blacktails) at reasonable distances (<200 yards) in the brush and were good medicine if a Brown Bear should interfere with your hunt. All with tolerable recoil.

Since there weren't enough 348 rifles to go around they quickly gained the attention of collectors, who were willing to pay more than hunters.

Hunters simply moved to newer high-performance cartridges.

I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"
  • Options
    goldslammergoldslammer Member Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭
    My cousin has an old model 71 in 348, that he used to hunt with. Really knocked em' down!
    Now he uses a Win 94 in 30-30. The 348 was just to expensive to shoot, and too valuable to get scratched up in the woods....
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    Recoil is very similar to the .35 Whelen rifle and cartridge.
    The biggest difference is the shape of the stocks.
    Modern bolt action rifles are usually made to be more comfortable with scopes. Recoil is controlled better. These older style lever rifles normally use open sights with your cheek pressed right down on a butt stock with a lot of drop, bad positioning for recoil management! Shooting 200 and 250 grain bullets over a 60 grain load of powder is guaranteed to get your attention. Learning to handle this style of rifle and lots of practice will help overcome some of the drawbacks.

For a real eye opening experience, borrow a .50 Alaskan on the same rifle then go shoot 20 rounds... >:)

Best.

• Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    HORNADY MAKES THEIR 'LEVEREVOLUTION AMMO FOR IT NOW, MUCH BETTER THAN THE FLAT TIP STUFF

• Options
    mmppresmmppres Member Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭
    I have one an its a true drop a animal down if you put it in the right place. Not sure how many different bullet grains are still made. Think only 200 an 250. Used to be a few different ones. Rifle is a dream to work true Winchester action very smooth. Like was stated about as same as 35 Whalen. No I have a friend who made one on a Saimase Mauser action. Its a tack driver. If it was not for the weight of the rifle it would probably hurt.