In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mushrooms -

KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2020 in General Discussion

Next door neighbor just came back from PA. Alway's brings back a ton of fresh mushrooms.

5 different variety coming. Just saw him leaf blowing our back driveway. (Told him he was making too much noise.) Have a big pot of homemade Chicken Soup going in the Crock Pot. Will throw a ton of diced (cremeni (?) and button mushrooms in there.

Portabella's will be marinated and grilled.

Shitake, will be done in a New England Clam/Seafood chowder, later this week.

Sorry Susie, Mushrooms Rock. Mmmnnnn..................Mmmnnn..............................

Comments

• Options

Okay Ricci, that made me LOL.

• Options
    Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭
    Well considering how much you paid for that pot metal .22 and the painful rash it's good you are maintaining your sense of humor.
  • Options
    susiesusie Member Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭✭

Aacckkk, mushrooms again. Lol. I don't dislike them. Neither do I like them. I can take them or leave them.

• Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭
    Don't eat 'em, dude!  They're deadly poison!   
    Everyone that ate a mushroom in 1850 is dead today and I ain't takin' any chances!
    Icky, nasty, yucky. 
  • Options

Just came back from my Bro's house.

About 2 lbs + of Portabella's. About the same of Shitake and Button/Cremeni mushrooms.

Tha absolute bonus was my Buddy said his friend (who grows mushrooms for a living in PA.) just added growing German White Garlic. Would you like some? Do you cook with garlic?

Came home with about 5 lbs. of fresh German White Garlic. He refused (as normal) to take any $$ from me.

Came home, fine diced about 1 lb. of button/Cremini mushrooms, one button of fresh garlic, and threw them in my pot of homemade Chicken soup going in the Crock Pot.

Mmmnnnn....................Mmmnnn...........................

• Options
    OkieOkie Member Posts: 991 ✭✭✭
    Euell Gibbons liked pine cones.
    Eat them raw and they will clean the colon.
    Suspect he may have like mushrooms also.

I prefer the Hen of the Woods mushrooms. I have a recipe that make them taste like Crappie Flays.
    (And can be frozen in freezer and will not freezer burn)
  • Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭

We call them Sheepshead in my neck of the woods. Terrible year so far because it has been very dry.

• Options
    gartmangartman Member Posts: 660 ✭✭✭
    Euell Gibbons died of stomach cancer, if I remember right.
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,382 ******
    Euell also liked and endorsed Post GrapeNuts Cereal.  Said they reminded him of wild hickory nuts. 

In order to eat that cereal, one had to have a good set of chompers!   You could soften it by letting it set for a long spell after adding milk or cook it but when soft it was pretty nasty IMO.

I do like a few varieties of mushrooms but my favorite Morel type now really tears up my digestive system.  I actually liked them so much that I would eat them anyway, as long as I stayed close the the bathroom!  

I don't do that anymore!  With old age comes wisdom!  (sometimes)
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    I enjoy Mushrooms but never learned enough to harvest any. Read too many stories of experienced pickers dying or needing a liver transplant due to error.
    On the other hand up until now I've always eaten raw Oysters so I guess I'm selectively careful LOL. 
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    RobOz said:

We call them Sheepshead in my neck of the woods. Terrible year so far because it has been very dry.

The reason that the mushroom is named Hen of the Woods is some look like a Domiinicker Hen setting on a nest. Some are really camo'ed  and most generally grow next to a big live Red Oak tree. The Cherokees calle3d them Wesche which means mushroom in cherokee lingo.

In older days when people actually walked the woods in search of if the mushroom was still growing they claimed it my sticking a stick in the premature mushroom and if anyone else came along they were suppose to honor the claimed mushroom and not bother. Kinda like marking a bee tree with a big X as already claimed. No honor now days though.

Lot opf info on-line about the Hen of the woods. The Bearded mushroom (looks like a old mans beard) is also good fried in margarine. I've seen both the Hen of the woods and the Bearded mushroom fill up a 5 gallon bucket. They are usually only good for few days before they start  getting black specks or turning black. Have to be careful with the Hen of the woods. All kinds of bad insects like to reside inside probably due to the dampness inside the petals when they first start growing.

Here is what a Dominiker chicken looks like.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=dominicker+chickens+picture&form=ANNTH1&refig=d6428aaf2ed34b3c9d37dabf5ed036d6&sp=2&qs=SC&pq=dominker+chicken+picture&sk=PRES1SC1&sc=2-24&cvid=d6428aaf2ed34b3c9d37dabf5ed036d6

• Options
    papernickerpapernicker Member Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭
    Always cook wild mushrooms
  • Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭

good size one
  • Options

Since my Bud hooked me up with a bunch of fresh mushrooms last week, I've been splurging with them.

Killer homemade Chicken soup with a ton of Cremeni mushrooms in it. Pork Chops with a side of baked Portabella's with EVOO & Zesty Italian dressing, Pork chops and sliced Cremeni's, onions and wedged Russett potatoes. (All in a Pyrex baking dish.) EVOO, salt/pepper.

Love fresh mushrooms. Will have a fresh garden salad with a ton of fresh diced Cremeni and Shitake mushrooms, and some crisped in the oven, Buffalo Wings for lunch today. Blue cheese/Caesar dressing.

• Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭✭
    I have mushrooms growing every place my dogs drop a load.......they're free for the taking to anyone that desires them  ;)

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    49, is that a puff ball shroom?
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,382 ******
    Picture looks like a puff ball to me.  I have them growing in my yard and this year there were several that got to that size.  I have never eaten any.  
  • Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    In laws eat them, I sure won't.  Seen too many"puff" after they turn brown
  • Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭
    Butchdog2 said:
    49, is that a puff ball shroom?
    Yes I think so ,, someone took it

• Options
    Puffballs are eatable if they are still snow white inside which indicates they are still fresh, no black specks.
    They will eventually dry out and turn black then brown and if dry when stepped on will produce a puff of brown dust, called devils snuff. 
    Most generally to keep from getting deathly sick from eating mushrooms, do not eat them by themselves and on a dry stomach, eat them with other food and then don't gorge yourself on such.
    If first time you have ever eat such, only eat a few bites. Sometimes a allergic reaction may occur several hours later. Some people have ended up in the hospital.
    Some people have all different kinds of severe allergic reactions to mushrooms, even handling them with bare hands.
    Some people even go horizontal permanently and when placed in the ground mushrooms will grow on their grave. Adds new meaning to the term pushing up daisies.
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    Put some in the dehydrator for long term storage.
    RLTW

• Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭✭
    To me puffballs taste like fried eggs.  I havent had much luck dehydrating Them,  but I do dehydrate the rest that I pick.  I have about 3 quarts of hen of the woods so far.
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭
    Puff balls for sure.  I get them every year about this time.  I have eaten things that I won't mention but puff balls isn't one of them.  :D
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    If you dehydrate them, do they disappear?   :p
  • Options
    Ken, thought I would share a snapshot of my dinner this evening.   They had baby bellas at the local grocery today.
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,668 ******
  • Options
    Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure Buddy was sitting next to you slobbering.
  • Options
    mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭
    susie that looks GOOD!!!! I like to make a mushroom and onion sauce to have with steak. I LOVE brussel sprouts too. Nice touch with the bacon.
  • Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭✭
    Fried a pan full of fresh venison from a deer I got with the bow night before last.  Covered it with onions and mushrooms.  Hit the spot.