In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Back from USPSA Nationals!

WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭

Well I am back and I must say- it was an excellent experience & I learned so much!

Here is a video in the event my story is a bit too boring.

I made about one mistake a day I would like to have back. Interestingly each time, was when stages were paired together and as the shooter you went from one stage immediately to the next. I had a great squad- I was squadded with the US Border Patrol Shooting team and a handful of other guys. A really fun squad with some great competition.

For some of you not familiar- USPSA scores are calculated by your total points divided by time on a stage. Accuracy =higher points, but physical speed reduces time.

My game is to always win the points. If someone beats me by speed, so be it, but I try and outscore them. Sometimes it works, sometimes they get me.

At Nationals- everyone had exceptional speed and accuracy. I was definitely playing catch-up and trying to push where I could, resulting in mistakes I wouldn’t normally make.

Overall I finished 290 out of 400 shooters- which I am happy with- the other shooters were strong.

I think if things level out I will make it back with the goal of being in the top 50% next year.

Three days of hard running USPSA is tough. Every stage at Nationals would be the craziest stage at any club match.

There was a stage the targets were so far out it was being scored by RO’s on a golf cart. Lots of moving targets too.

Comments

• Options
    roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,131 ✭✭✭✭
    Awesome wow, now let us know about the next match
    Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

Nice job Dave.

• Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like you did well and had a great time. In my youth I shot a little PPC and that was hard enough without all the running and gunning. Bob
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,750 ✭✭✭✭
    You are shooting with the wrong hand, that's giving the opposition a nice break. :o
  • Options
    dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,787 ✭✭✭✭
    Very impressive!!  We now know who the forum USPSA expert is!!!!!
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,667 ******
    You did good against those other guys that probably shoot every day. 
  • Options
    roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,131 ✭✭✭✭
    Thoughts on a forum sponsorship ?  Pink sweatsuit for warming up? 
    Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,309 ******
    Overdubbed with some Lion the Beast the Beat. I love it!!!
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,381 ***** Forums Admin
    NICE!! Glad you did well.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,309 ******
    BTW, very nice shooting and movement. You did amazing!
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options

Thanks guys-

To put it in perspective- I was way out of my league-which is what made it so cool! some of those I shot against:

Team Glock

Team Sig

CZ Factory team

Walther factory team

USMC shooting team

Army Marksmanship Unit (AMU)

US Border Patrol Shooting Team

Homeland Security shooting team

JJ Racazza

Frank Proctor

Max Michel

And so many others- everywhere you looked there was a famous shooter or someone at the top of their game.

I want to go back next year and try to really make a run at them.

• Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭

That's some tough competition, and that says a lot about your skills!

What's next?
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,533 ✭✭✭✭
    Awesome.
    Question are you allowed to step out of the red box on the ground?
    Also are you required to run the targets in a certain order?

• Options

You can step out of the red box, however you may not shoot with your feet on the ground outside of the red box.

In USPSA you may shoot targets in any order-there is no prescribed sequence-totally up to the individual, as a lefty I quite often shoot stages “backwards” from everyone else on the squad.

• Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,533 ✭✭✭✭
    Warbirds said:
    Awesome.
    <\/div>
    <\/div>
    <\/div>

<\/div>","bodyRaw":"
    Awesome.
    <\/div>
    <\/div>
    <\/div>

<\/div>","format":"wysiwyg","dateInserted":"2020-10-23T11:23:54+00:00","insertUser":{"userID":377423,"name":"drobs","url":"https:\/\/forums.gunbroker.com\/profile\/drobs","photoUrl":"https:\/\/us.v-cdn.net\/6031683\/uploads\/phpbb\/n116c87db70253cfa97f7db3c9c349670_377423.jpg","dateLastActive":"2020-10-23T11:31:54+00:00","label":"✭✭✭"},"displayOptions":{"showUserLabel":false,"showCompactUserInfo":true,"showDiscussionLink":false,"showPostLink":false,"showCategoryLink":false,"renderFullContent":false,"expandByDefault":false},"url":"https:\/\/forums.gunbroker.com\/discussion\/comment\/11224007#Comment_11224007","embedType":"quote"}"> https://forums.gunbroker.com/discussion/comment/11224007#Comment_11224007

You can step out of the red box, however you may not shoot with your feet on the ground outside of the red box.

In USPSA you may shoot targets in any order-there is no prescribed sequence-totally up to the individual, as a lefty I quite often shoot stages “backwards” from everyone else on the squad.

Thanks. 
    I shot some informal combat shoots, 10-15 years ago. Been awhile.
    Cowboy Action requires you to shoot in a certain order which I find somewhat annoying. I'll figure it out eventually.
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭
    You're shootin' with some pretty talented folks, Dave!
    I watched a video the other day of Christian Sailor at the Area 1 match.  Holy Cow!!!  That kid is unreal!!
    I've done a lot of IDPA/Defensive Pistol matches but only one USPSA match and it was a night shoot.  It was a bit overwhelming to say the least.   
    How many rounds did you go through at the match?