In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Comments

• Options
    bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭

I've owned a jeep wrangler and only a jeep can motor nonchalantly right past stuck vehicles then get you into all kinds of remote trouble.

Glad no one was in it.

I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"
  • Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    kannoneerkannoneer Member Posts: 3,367 ✭✭✭✭
    I am afraid it is going to need an alignment.
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

Is that covered under Warranty?

• Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Duct tape and couple of wire coat hangers and I bet it will be good as new. Bob
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow for sure no one would have survived that too bad for the person injured prior to the fall but luckily she wasn't still in it.
    That had to be pretty astonishing for the driver who had the Jeep go in front of him like that, I guess once you are on that downhill their is no turning around or chickening out no choice but to continue down!
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,430 ***** Forums Admin
    Wow, that's crazy. I hope the injured recover. 
  • Options
    Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭
    Black Bear Pass runs from Red Mountain to Telluride...the trip is about 17-18 miles of white knuckle driving!!! The pass kills quite often...(about an hour from where we live)...
    Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member
  • Options
    susiesusie Member Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020

Not just no, nope and oh heck no. Bad enough taking my truck and camper out of Yellowstone through the Lamar Valley on 212. Was just under the length limit. I swear at one point I rounded a curve and could see the tail end of my camper to my left. Thank goodness for grade braking built into my truck.

ETA screenshot for those who haven't been. This stretch was the hairiest part of it. Stopped along the way for kids to have a snowball fight in mid-June.

• Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,445 ✭✭✭✭
    There must be some good reason (to the driver) to want to drive that pass. I don't think even JB Weld can fix that one.
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,427 ******
    Now, a message from our sponsors. 

No worries!  They were protected by Car Shield!    :o 
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    Here is a vid of the trail.... NO FREEKEN WAY MAN!!!

• Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    The road looks to be fairly level and not exceptionally narrow, so do we know how this incident came about ?  Too many beers or just fell asleep ?
  • Options
    chmechme Member Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭✭
    Colorado CAN and DOES show that Darwin was an optimist.  We used to lose a few tourists a year that would decide "Oh what a lovely valley.  I shall go hike thataway..." No map, no compass, no water- and THATAWAY will cross another road in 65 miles.  Open 7 months of the year.  In about 3 years an elk hunter may find what the critters left.  Mother Nature has no pity.  
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,545 ✭✭✭✭
    XXCross said:
    The road looks to be fairly level and not exceptionally narrow, so do we know how this incident came about ?  Too many beers or just fell asleep ?

Supposedly the driver parked the Jeep, set his parking brake and got out to help spot other vehicles making the turns.
    The Jeep just rolled away. The passenger in the jeep was thrown out at one point.
    Could the ground gave out below the Jeep or it just started sliding with it's wheels locked up.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,430 ***** Forums Admin
  • Options
    Note on Black Bear Pass the 1st section is 2 way. The last section is one way down. At 4:08 of the above video (1 way down traffic), that section has had numerous vehicle flop on their tops. It's an off camber section. Go too high to the right side of the hill / mountain, and you'll roll the vehicle. Slam on the brakes in the off camber section - vehicle may roll. 

A 4Runner, FJ Cruiser, and Wrangler all flopped there and were caught on video. Luckily they didn't roll far. 

FJ Cruiser Flop - slammed on the brakes:
    Jeep flop - went too high on the side hill:
    4Runner Flop (too high is what witnesses said):

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,372 ******
    fixed the death wobble at least.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    Nanuq907Nanuq907 Member Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭✭
    This is why real offroaders are narrow with flat sides.  That road would look like a superhighway in my 4WD.

• Options
    I've hauled logs off some roads not a whole lot better than that. Albeit not an 18 mile stretch, but 3-4 miles at a crack. Enough that you better be on your game. That FJ crusier pic drobs posted.....what the hell was the matter with that guy? That is a super highway where he wrecked. People ought to slow down once in a while.
  • Options
    bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭
    I have spent much more time in helicopters and fixed-wing airplanes (than rock-crawlers) where weight & balance is a required calculation every time you fire the engine.
    4WD vehicles pass me on the road every day with huge tires, jacked way up, stuff hanging all over them, and I wonder how they handle on the trails.
    Just like flying, off-roading requires special experience techniques and training that not everyone is privy to.

I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭
    to each their own, but I could never understand paying tens of thousands of dollars for a vehicle just to go out and tear up.........
  • Options
    Nanuq907Nanuq907 Member Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭✭
    4WD vehicles pass me on the road every day with huge tires, jacked way up, stuff hanging all over them, and I wonder how they handle on the trails.
    There's the thing I don't understand.  Take a nice narrow, short 4WD and mount massive wide wheels sticking out past the bodywork, with even bigger fatter tires, so you have to screw on plastic lips on the wheel openings?  Then stick jacks and ARBs on the front and back with gas can carriers, and you've turned your quasi-capable offroader into a grocery getter.
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,427 ******
    People do a lot of death defying stunts that have me scratching my head all the time.  Maybe because I was brought up thinking I wanted to die in a bed at a ripe old age just like my grandpa did!  

But for those adventurous folks wanting to climb Mount Everest or K2 to prove some inner dream or fantasy, I say good luck and I hope your landings are soft ones! 
  • Options
    Couple videos of successful runs.
    Tacoma - jump to 11:30
    4Runner jump to 8:30 - couple days after the above 4Runner rolled over. Has a good description of what line needs to be taken.
    Subaru Forester

My hands sweat watching these videos but Colorado is on my to do list of places to take my 4Runner.
    I've been working up experience on smaller trails with off camber obstacles. We have some neat trails in Missouri and Arkansas.

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Nanuq907 said:
    This is why real offroaders are narrow with flat sides.  That road would look like a superhighway in my 4WD.

I'd want a roll bar on there.
    Plus I'd add a winch, get stuck without the ability to self recover, and your now helpless.

Here's a company that sells a bumper that takes a winch:

• Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,717 ******
    Pfft. There are roads like that in West Virginia and you have to pass a six axle coal truck.
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭
    jimdeere said:
    Pfft. There are roads like that in West Virginia and you have to pass a six axle coal truck.
    yeah the turnpike used to be that rough, just not quite as steep.........
  • Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,704 ✭✭✭✭
    Nanuq907 said:

That is a GEM!   I love love LOVE it!
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com