In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Stupid UPS question for you shipping pros......

Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,617 ✭✭✭✭
Someone sent over a UPS label for an item.....this is driving me crazy.    Their label that they produced shows it cost them $29.   When I plug in the info into the UPS website it shows it will cost me $69 to ship.  They have a declared value of $2500 showing on their label, 25 pounds, no dimensions.     WHY is this person able to ship this for half what it costs me to do the same?
LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com

Comments

• Mark GMark G Member Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭
    Try it without the dimensions and see what it costs and then add the dimensions and value and see how much it goes up. UPS will pull a package without dimensions and measure it and back charge for the difference. The buyer thinks he is getting away with something but he's not.
  • Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭
    Yup, UPS will back charge you in an instant.
  • Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,617 ✭✭✭✭
    This is the oddest thing.    He is using Unishippers for his UPS shipping.   He said that they waive the residential, fuel surcharge, and extended area fees so his shipping is much less than what the UPS website charges.   So, I gave UPS a call and asked them how this is happening.   I gave them the tracking number.....and even though the label has my address on it their system shows HIS address as the return address.   So, the charges for this label are not showing something coming from me....even though the address on the label is mine. 
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    No, nothing unusual.  The common carriers have special programs & rates for high volume customers, usually companies that have scheduled daily pickups.  There's no way that individuals can match the low rates on heavy items such as ammo.  AIM Surplus has sent me several handguns by "When we get around to it", not the "Next Day Air" ordinary folks & small dealers have to pay.
    Many dealers are now printing their own labels with a dedicated computer.  A message goes to the shipper as soon as it is printed, but the dealer may hold it for a week or 2 before shipping.  The tracking number you see printed tells the carrier's computer everything they need to know about shipper, receiver, & billing information.
    Neal
  • NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭
    Well shoot.   My whole world view's been turned on it's head, Kasey.   I thought you were the shipping pro!
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,310 ***** Forums Admin
    Well shoot.   My whole world view's been turned on it's head, Kasey.   I thought you were the shipping pro!
    Nope.....Just a hobbyist