In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

China stuff

bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2020 in Politics
I bought a new radio to replace my aging Bose system in the Dodge Ram.  I have had the radio for three weeks.  The installer could not get a double DIN mount for it.  Why?  Because they are made in China and are out of stock. 
Being in the tire business I see the shortages of el-cheapo offshore tires hitting hard now.  The US manufacturers are jacking up prices because they can, creating shortages to drive up prices and not working to make production increases.  That is wrong think and a short sided business model.
We are slaves to China now, if imports stopped tomorrow Walmart would have empty shelves in a week.
It is stupid, dangerous and counterproductive to let a Communist Nation like China have so much impact upon Americans.  Want a Iphone, its made in China, want medicine, its made in China, want a TV it too is made in China.
A double DIN stereo bracket is a stupid simple metal stamping with some paint.  There is no excuse for them being made offshore by Commies.  Considering transport costs, logistics and just plain old pride in your nation it is shameful to import these items.  I'd pay the three bucks more to get it American made, I pay 100 more for the TV.  Communists may make cheap stuff but they are Commies first, foremost and never our friend.

Comments

• Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭✭
    Chinese products have permeated our entire economy. Made in America simply means the product was assembled here with a certain percentage of domestic content. You would be hard pressed to find a product category where they have not made inroads. It still boggles my mind that logs harvested here can be transported to China, milled, turned into furniture and shipped back to the U.S. and sold cheaper than domestic product. I ordered a dining room table from a manufacturer in Montana and it came with made in China parts. I called and asked and they said they made just the top and assembled it here so it qualified as made in America. Bob
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited October 2020
    $100 more for a US made TV? Try paying $1000 more. No one makes TVs in this country any longer.

I remember visiting and electronics shop Colombia; something like Best Buy here in the States. The prices on TVs were outrageous! I'm not kidding, $1500 for a TV I paid $300 for at Walmart. Colombia has an enormous tariff on imported electronics with the idea that manufacturing of electronic goods would begin in Colombia. Of course that never happened, so people in Colombia are stuck paying five times what it costs to buy an identical TV set in the USA.

Of course the GB hardliners take is "Don't you feel better knowing that you're supporting American industry?"

Americans want everything cheap: gasoline, cars, electronics, food; you name it, we want to pay less for consumer items than anywhere else in the western world. 

• Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,800 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Taxing, regulating, taxing some more, lawsuits, mandates, unions, and more lawsuits and taxing again.

It was our own government that caused the exodus of manufacturing. Dont blame China, Mexico, and other nations. China and other nations dont have to deal with all the crap government dumps on them.   
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited October 2020
    I agree with Chief. In some states, CA and NY come to mind, you simply can't conduct any sort of business. The usual path has been to relocate to the so called "right to work states",  but even a non union workforce and relatively low wages (compare to CA or NY) isn't going to solve threats of lawsuits, federal mandates and taxes. States like Wyoming boast of being business friendly, and they are, relatively speaking, but Wyoming can't compare to the cost savings of doing business off shore. 

Businesses want to make money, and the stock holders want them to make money. Where a TV set is produced doesn't matter to someone who owns stock, they just want their dividend. 
  • Options
    dok2udok2u Member Posts: 100
    edited October 2020
    Yea, all the demoncrap union bosses told their members years ago about how great is was going to be when they could buy all the cheap chinese crapola from walfhart!  Still remember that dufus Jimmy "the idiot" Carter telling us we'd all have to get used to the new "service" economy.  And then Bill "the BJ artists" Clinton came along and tried to give everything to the chinese including the Panama Canal and Long Beach harbor.  They forgot to tell those union workers that they wouldn't have a job anymore, but the union bosses would still have their job because their job was to protect and support the demoncraps!
  • Options
    mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭
    We need to separate our manufacturing from china.............DJT is trying to do that. Sloppy Joe wants a "global" economy.
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,579 ✭✭✭✭
     I do not sleep well so you tube has become a buddy
     go there and watch some o the posted videos from  China, Pakistan  India well really any country similar  watch the workers and the conditions ( if they can be called that )  amazing and head shaking is my response there life expediency has to be low 
     the chemicals and tools and speed they have to work and making a couple dollars a day doing it ( I fear our future ) 
     any way got a few minutes to kill watch a few  of them .
      honesty what they do in small one room work shops or just in the street beside the shop  is really amazing what they have adapted . use what you have and make it out of noting  and waste noting seems to be the rule  
  • Options
    mjrfd99mjrfd99 Member Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭
    mohawk600 said:
    We need to separate our manufacturing from china.............DJT is trying to do that. Sloppy Joe wants a "global" economy.
    China joe is china's "female dog"  
    They own the demented POS.

• Options
    chollagardenschollagardens Member Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭
    If I remember correctly one European country required a 10% domestic production of any specific goods imported. This country is in bad shape in the manufacturing area. This may be the way to start getting infrastructure without a trade war.
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    Luckily besides food I don't need much
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭✭
    mogley98 said:
    Luckily besides food I don't need much
    Careful what food you buy. Kroger frozen seafood is mostly China except for the shrimp and that's usually Vietnam.😝 Bob