In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

they have been going crazy.........

toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
The hummingbirds that is.... Seems late, but I think they might have had another hatch. Feeders last about 3 days before they need refilling. Sure like seeing them around.

Comments

• Options
    Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭
    Man I would love a mess of fried hummin bird with some collard greens and cornbread. I can eat 150 at one sitting.
  • Options
    You really are a warped individual Ricci.. I think we need to have some minimum requirements to be here... ;)
  • Options
    mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭
    Hummingbirds are really cool. Fun to watch.

I wonder if they could be prepped like canned sardines and just eat bones and all. That's the only way it would be worth eating.
  • Options
    Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭
    "minimum requirements"??? Man I don't think I can eat more than 150.
  • Options
    "minimum requirements"??? Man I don't think I can eat more than 150.
    Jack Nicholson, in one flew over the cuckoo's nest comes to mind when I see your post's Ricci..... :D
  • Options
    varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭
    if you slice the breast open a little and insert a slice of jalapeno before cooking u can eat more.
  • Options
    susiesusie Member Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭✭

Toad67, are you in their migration flight path? Those who have been here all summer have gone south. Been about a week since I have seen one. I kept the feeders full to help them prep for the journey.

• Options
    susie said:

Toad67, are you in their migration flight path? Those who have been here all summer have gone south. Been about a week since I have seen one. I kept the feeders full to help them prep for the journey.

I don't think so, I'm in NW Oregon. We generally have some that winter here, but this summer they have almost tripled in population. Hope they stay around. Looks like I need quite a few for a meal..
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    I would eat them too as long as there are no lima beans in the pot.  I have some collards in my garden and some jimmy johnson fatback on the shelf.  You clean the birds I will bring the greens.

I think it would be good pared with a nice wine like MD 20/20.
    RLTW

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,399 ******
    Eating humming birds is not the way to go as they do not taste anything like chicken!

Their eggs make GREAT omelets however.  Only need around 5000 of them to half fill a dinner plate.  :o  
  • Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,690 ✭✭✭✭
    We used to get a HUGE swarm of them through here late summer/fall while they were traveling through.     They would empty 8 large feeders every day while they were coming through here.    It lasted about 8 years or so, but we no longer see them like that.   I have no clue why, but they just don't swarm through here any more.    For the past three years we've just put a couple feeders out and a few hummingbirds will stick around to guard them and try to claim them for themselves.   

I miss the huge swarm.   It was a lot of fun to see.   The birds do not act the same when there are so many.   We'd easily have 50 or more flying around at all times.   They would fly around your chair, darting all over the place.   You could get REALLY close to them, hold the feeders while they ate and they couldn't run other birds off from the feeders so they just all hung out together.   They would chase each other around, but for the most part it was like a school yard out there for hummingbirds when they were here.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,264 ✭✭✭✭

My last hummer left a couple a couple weeks ago .Neighbor used to have them in swarms like Kasey describes but hers was season long . Going to keep the feeder out a while longer for any stragglers coming thru

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    Ours all pulled out about a week ago when our temps dropped from the 80s to the 30s... Feeders are all empty of birds. :/