In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mmmmmmm.....

toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
Just took a 9 pound trimmed pork shoulder out of the smoker after 9 hours. Injected with some apple juice/cider vinegar, and a brown sugar/mustard rub, and smoked with hickory pellets.... pulled pork samies are on the menu for a few days.

Comments

• Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,400 ***** Forums Admin
    Mmmmmmm is right, enjoy! :p
  • Options
    Merlinnv12Merlinnv12 Member Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds delicious, TOAD. What kind of smoker are you using?
    “What we’ve got here, is, failure to communicate.”
  • Options
    Sounds delicious, TOAD. What kind of smoker are you using?
    Green Mountain pellet grill.
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,689 ******
    The brown sugar/mustard rub sounds tantalizing. I’ll have to try that.
  • Options
  • Options
    Merlinnv12Merlinnv12 Member Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭✭
    Green Mountain makes great pellet grills. Mine is not that fancy but “pellets” is the way to go! 
    Tried the propane route where you had to feed it wood chips and constantly monitor things. PITA!
    “What we’ve got here, is, failure to communicate.”
  • Options
    Green Mountain makes great pellet grills. Mine is not that fancy but “pellets” is the way to go! 
    Tried the propane route where you had to feed it wood chips and constantly monitor things. PITA!
    Agree. Mine is digital, but not WiFi, wish I would have gone that route...
  • Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭✭
    Pretty hard to screw up on a good smoke cooker.  I have used a Cookshack for about 15 years and love it.  I dont think the brand is as important as learning how to use what you have.
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

Good eating right there. Looks awesome Todd. Homemade sauce, or what are you using?

I have noticed on last several trips to the grocery store that they have been featuring pork butt and shoulders for 99 cents/lb. Have been very tempted but most of these are way to large for my needs.

I have a Masterbuilt smoker I have yet to try out. Anxious to do so.

• Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭✭

Good eating right there. Looks awesome Todd. Homemade sauce, or what are you using?

I have noticed on last several trips to the grocery store that they have been featuring pork butt and shoulders for 99 cents/lb. Have been very tempted but most of these are way to large for my needs.

Buddy might disagree with you. :D

• Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,264 ✭✭✭✭

My son bought a Rectech pellet grill/smoker . WiFi enabled and bluetoothed !!? He is still learning how to use it but he is really hung up on the brisket cooking . So far the food is good but not a $1000.00 good to me . He is a good man , stable and hardworking so how he spends his money is up to him

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options

Bubba Jr., Buddy makes out just fine. I have been mixing in a bunch of homemade Chicken soup bordering on stew to his food for the last several days. He has been loving it.

I always tend to cook too much or portions too large for just me, and get tired of eating it after a few days. He makes out. I hate to throw food out, and he is eating healthy. Lots of cooked veggies in with what he gets to eat. I have been buying him higher end dried food for quite a while now as well.

He is the best dog I have ever had, and gets treated as such.

• Options

By the time you toss the bone and some fat, they don't yield as much as you'd think.
  • Options

What kinda sauce Todd?

Of course you will be having slaw on those BBQ sandwiches?

• Options

What kinda sauce Todd?

Of course you will be having slaw on those BBQ sandwiches?

No sauce Ken. It was just the brown sugar/mustard mixture, along with natural drippings. There was a little bit of apple juice in the pan also. I also really like to cook one in the crock pot, with seasoning salt, onions and garlic. After it's done, shred it and fry it up crispy. Awesome in taco's.....
  • Options

You need a good vinegar based BBQ sauce and some Cole Slaw for some fine dining. IMHO.

What are these "Taco's" you speak of? They sound intriguing.

• Options

You need a good vinegar based BBQ sauce and some Cole Slaw for some fine dining. IMHO.

Just shred some of the pork, season it to your taste and fry it up crispy. Put it into a tortilla, and your choice of toppings. Incredible flavor..
  • Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,197 ******
    toad67 said:
    I bought the Wi-Fi  GM a year ago Memorial Day Weekend. 
    I don't regret it for a minute. 
  • Options
    mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭
    Man you guys are making me hungry.
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,009 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭
    toad67 said:

Just shred some of the pork, season it to your taste and fry it up crispy. Put it into a tortilla, and your choice of toppings. Incredible flavor..
    We call it "Machaca"....good stuff!!!
    Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member
  • Options
    toad67 said:
    I bought the Wi-Fi  GM a year ago Memorial Day Weekend. 
    I don't regret it for a minute. 
    I seem to remember that conversation..