In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Anyone Remember

BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,280 ******
That old expression:  My Country, right or wrong!   :o

I think it may have been used back in the early 60's but then again, I may have just dreamed it up!

Comments

• jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
     The title is a common variation from a quote from the USA's naval commander Stephen Decatur...which is all too often taken out of context. For immediately beforehand, Decatur had toasted: "To our country! In her intercourse with foreign nations, may she always be in the right." Later, the USA's Senator Carl Schurz gave his own interpretation of the statement: "My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." This latter take, along with similar anecdotes from others, has also come into prominence in how both nationalism and patriotism are portrayed.”

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MyCountryRightOrWrong
  • bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    I remember what an old WWI vet told me when I was 6 or 7 years old.  I was so impressed I have remembered his words for over 60 years:
    "Jiminy cheese crackers, boy!  You're steppin' on my corns!"

I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"
  • Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    I remember it and the libtards should too but since 1980 its not going to happen too many people are brainwashed into libtardness.
    RLTW