In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

I REALLY LOVE ALDI!!!

dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,787 ✭✭✭✭
So this morning my wife sends me to Aldi to get a package of boneless, skinless chicken breasts for what she has planned for supper.  So I'm planning on buying the "family" pack, normally from $1.89 to $1.99 a lb.  I get back to the chicken area and Aldi has a mark down on boneless, skinless chicken breasts that goes out of date in a couple of days.  I cleaned out the mark downs, around 23-24 lbs. a 1.24 per lb.  Came home and thru it all in the freezer except what Momma needed for supper.  We use a lot of chicken.  This wont last a month.  I guarantee chicken breasts taste better at $1.24 a pound than at $1.99!!      :D    

So how many of you are as cheap as I am???

Comments

• Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,027 ******
    I love my yard bird.   Preferably fried, with the skin on, crispy.  

• Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020

Yes. I am cheap. Always looking for a food deal. I grab them pretty much any time I see them. That is why I have no freezer space. 😮

I also look for meat deals going out that day, as I plan on cooking them that day or the next or freeze. Love those deals.

Just made a big 4 pk. of Boneless Chicken breasts. Pyrex baking dish. Thin sliced onion on the bottom of the dish. Olive Oil. Seperate pot of Rice a Roni Wild grain rice, mixed in with some Pepperidge Farms stuffing. (Undercooked. Just brought to a high boil for about 10 min.) Put that in the bottom of the Pyrex baking dish. 4 large Chicken breasts. Cajun seasoning, salt/pepper. More thin sliced onion all over the top of the Chicken. More EVOO. Bake at 350° for about 45 minutes.

Was excellent for dinner yesterday, will be even better as leftovers on a slow warm in the oven here in a few minutes.

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    I too love ALDI's, please don't tell young folks that the food there is the same as they pay inflated prices for at Kroger and Walmart with a different label.
  • Options
    dok2udok2u Member Posts: 100
    Only been in an Aldi's two and half  times.  First time the smell was so bad that I couldn't get more than 10 feet into the store and then left.  Four or five years later, I tried again at an Aldi's in a different state.  This time I only got about 5 feet into the store before the smell was so bad that I left.  Third time was about 2 years after that.  Only got to the door of the store but the smell was so bad that I puked my guts out for 5 minutes before getting back to my car.  Manager came out and asked me why I was sick.  Between barfs, I explained that it was the smell from his store.  He just said, "Oh, I see.  Well, could you be sick a little further from the door?"   Maybe that's why their stores smell so bad!  Glad to see that someone actually got to shop there.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭
    Grouch Attack shops ALDI often. I go in with her now and then. Never noticed a bad smell.  You gotta watch  the products closely as some of the stuff does have "short dates" or the product weights may be lighter than name brands.  ALDI's does have good prices on fruits and vegetables but again, you gotta check the stuff closely as some I've "inspected" was substandard  (I'm a certified USDA appraiser of fruit and vegetable production BTW).
  • Options
    I have never been in an Aldi or Lidl that smells bad!!  I will quickly tell you I have have been in 3 different Aldi's and 2 different Lidl's but never outside of Spartanburg or the Spartanburg area so I know nothing about anywhere else in the country.  I do know these 2 German firms are about the fastest growing grocery chains in the country so I cannot believe there can be an odor problem in 99.9% of the stores or they wouldn't be growing so fast.

I do know the money we save over other grocery stores is dramatic.  Aldi is less expensive, by quite a bit, over Wal-fart and WAY less expensive than Ingles.
  • Options
    mjrfd99mjrfd99 Member Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭
    Odor?  Try a Portuguese grocery with the Bacalao sitting out. 
    WHEW!! 
  • Options
    Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭
    Never heard of "ALDI"...?
    Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    My kind of purchase....
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    I go to several Aldi's, all of them are great.  No odors ever, the bathrooms are spotless and the food value is second to none.
  • Options
    @*^& mask!!  A whole lot of things I haven't mentioned that contribute to lower costs of doing business which seem to be passed on to the customer.

I will concede you need to check your produce.  The employees aren't over checking the potatoes, etc. leaving that job up to you but recently I bought a 10 bag of Green Giant russet potatoes.  $2.99!!  Bought two bags at that price but I did sniff both bags.  Weekly savings are huge.  
  • Options
    I have no idea why only the end of my post, posted?!?
  • Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭✭
    Aldi is my first choice,   if they dont have want I want then I go somewhere else.  Great stores.
  • Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,911 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    papernickerpapernicker Member Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭
     They lowered their price last week on some beef, back to where it was