In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Walmart has reversed course, guns are back.

Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,176 ✭✭✭✭

NEW YORK (AP) — Walmart has reversed course, announcing it is returning ammunition and firearms to their displays in its U.S. stores.

On Thursday the nation’s largest retailer said it had removed the items from displays due to “civil unrest” in some areas of the country. Guns and ammunition, however, had remained for sale at the stores, just not visible to shoppers.

But on Friday Walmart said the items had been restored to displays because the unrest has remained isolated.

The moves come after several days of protests, vandalism, and an overnight curfew in Philadelphia after police fatally shot a Black man with a history of mental health problems.

“After civil unrest earlier this week resulted in damage to several of our stores, consistent with actions we took over the summer, we asked stores to move firearms and ammunition from the sales floor to a secure location in the back of the store in an abundance of caution, “ Walmart said in a statement. “As the current incidents have remained geographically isolated, we have made the decision to begin returning these products to the sales floor today.”

The retailer based in Bentonville, Arkansas, sells firearms in about half of its 4,700 stores.

Comments

• bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭

Let me translate for you.

"We losing money. People didn't like our cowardly reaction."

I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    They never left the stores here.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
    NO guns or ammo visible at local Walmart today. None.
  • jarjar Member Posts: 618 ✭✭✭
    Awwwwww   Forget about it !!!!  its wally world they are not a gun shop anyways.  I happen to have more gunz than a person would know what to do with , and not one of them came from a frikin walmarts !
  • mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭✭
    The almighty $$$$ makes policy. 
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,138 ✭✭✭✭
    I viewed the original policy as prudent business practice. Ditto the reversal. It was no different that you or I locking stuff up when there are a rash of burglaries, then taking them back out when the danger has passed. You guys can slam WalMart all you like for other reasons (perhaps rightfully) but this was a rational act. Both ways.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    I viewed the original policy as prudent business practice. Ditto the reversal. It was no different that you or I locking stuff up when there are a rash of burglaries, then taking them back out when the danger has passed. You guys can slam WalMart all you like for other reasons (perhaps rightfully) but this was a rational act. Both ways.
    I agree and by announcing it ahead of time it could have discouraged some of the looting... Er I mean protesting. Bob
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    I think it was a knee jerk reaction by someone who got corrected by someone higher up. Since the election hasn't even occurred they have no idea how much isolated unrest their will be. It was a dumb knee jerk reaction nationwide for a obviously isolated issue that wasn't an issue.

Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • mjrfd99mjrfd99 Member Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Watched the burn loot murder loons clean out the philthadelphia walmart. Professional looters.  Should work so hard at a REAL job.  LMAO@DAT
    Hiding the guns from the loons is a GREAT idea. Criminals should be denied ALL access to firearms.  
    Proof?  
    16 of 21 news crime stories are them.  
    https://www.rlsmedia.com/

• chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,718 ✭✭✭✭
    Another teachable moment of how dirty corrupt hacks in the media continue to lie to you:

Walmart NEVER stopped selling guns and ammo. They MOVED their guns and ammo in to places of safe keeping so  sponsored "peaceful protesters" in DEMOCRAT controlled cities were allowed to loot without worry of reprisal.   

Small towns in Trump country: Gun sales as usual.
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,138 ✭✭✭✭
    Yup. Even when they were briefly moved to secure storage, you could still buy both guns and ammo - just had to ask.
    Now they have moved them back, based on the fact that the riots were in only a few cities, and have diminished for now. Once again, IMHO, both prudent and completely apolitical.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    Locally some never dropped them, others did.
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
     Small towns in Trump country: Gun sales as usual.”
    Shelves and displays were bare at the local Walmart yesterday evening. 
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    Translation.. we tried to scare y'all and it didn't work.. so now we will raise the prices.