In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Hot sauce

Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
I tried some of this stuff yesterday and its good.  Great flavor and good heat.

Valentina Mexican Hot Sauce

RLTW

Comments

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,200 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Arizona Gunslinger, Original Red. Trust me. Made from sun-ripened jalapenos. Rich pepper flavor, very little vinegar. Absolutely killer on potato salad (or anything else).
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭✭
    Louisiana Chipotle hot sauce. Only moderate heat with a smoky pepper taste. I like hot sauce that actually has flavor beyond just heat. The gunslinger looks good and I'll have to keep my eyes out for it. Bob
  • Options
    diver-rigdiver-rig Member Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020

Sam, the only place I've seen that Valentina sauce is in Mexican type restraunts. Good flavor, regular heat like red hot or louisiana hot sauce, good flavor.

Never seen it for sale anywhere though.

Now arizona gunslinger, my In-laws used to bring some back to me when they wintered down there. Really amazing stuff.

I order it off of their website on now. Have you tried the habanero? I really enjoy that one also, great flavor.

I love just about every hot sauce I've tried, but I consider Tabasco regular stuff bottom of the barrel, it'll do in a pinch. To me it seems too watery and too much vinegar.

Tabasco green is passable.

• Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    Diver I looked it up and it says it is sold in Walmart and Target here in Raleigh.  I went to a Mexican joint last night for dinner after playing about 25 holes of golf.  Great day and not too many folks out.  I had a really good carne asada and asked for some hot sauce and that is what they brought me.  I really liked it.  There was a Mexican Grocery store next door so I went in a bought a bottle.  The taste is much more peppery and not so hot it kills the flavor. 

I agree about Tabasco, the only thing it is good on is stuff you want to kill the taste of like C-rats, MRE's and Lima beans ;)
    RLTW

• Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

Our local small variety store (since closed) Fred's, had a closeout section I always used to look at. They had about 10-15 bottles of a different type of Tabasco. Pepper sauce, in an orange label bottle w/a wood ball as a cap. 97 cents. I grabbed every one of them. The cashier looked at me like I was crazy. 🤔

Large bottles of Tabasco are around $4-5. It was better than the original Tabasco. I ran out about 6-8 mo. ago.

Crystal is pretty good. Not high end by any means, but tasty.

• Options
    Orange label featuring a Mexican with a huge sombrero, and with a wood bottle top is Cholula - pretty much the "training wheels" hot sauce. Tasty and mild, it is the one to start with. Crystal is nine times better than Tabasco, based on the fact that you get three times as much of it for one third the price.
    But if you want to be forever spoiled, order that original Gunslinger.
  • Options
    You'll love the Original AG. I've never had an urge to try any of their others, the original is so damn good.
    And let me repeat, try it on some potato salad. The gun show vendor who got me into AG several decades ago handed out little samples of potato salad with AG on it - and it was ambrosia. He sold a crap-ton of Gunslinger that way.
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,385 ******
    You'll love the Original AG. I've never had an urge to try any of their others, the original is so damn good.
    And let me repeat, try it on some potato salad. The gun show vendor who got me into AG several decades ago handed out little samples of potato salad with AG on it - and it was ambrosia. He sold a crap-ton of Gunslinger that way.
    That inspires me with a new twist on selling non gun related products at our local gun shows Rocky!   I will start calling my jerky "Bovine Ammo Sticks"  :D      
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Hot sauces come and go, and many of them are really tasty, but Tabasco, well, it just always there, in the pantry, the fridge, on the counter, or on the way home from the store.
    What's next?
  • Options
    Yeah, Kimi. It's the one you're likely to get in almost any restaurant if you ask for hot sauce or if they have it on the table already. It's the "default" hot sauce - more the result of their marketing people than the quality of the product, I think. As others have said, it's okay - but it's not my first choice by several steps.
  • Options
    Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭
    I Googled it and they have several different sauces...nothing says "Original"...?
    Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member
  • Options
    Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks!!! We will give it a try...
    Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member
  • Options
    MercuryMercury Member Posts: 7,809 ✭✭✭
    Arizona Gunslinger, Original Red. Trust me. Made from sun-ripened jalapenos. Rich pepper flavor, very little vinegar. Absolutely killer on potato salad (or anything else).
    AZ gunslinger IS good stuff, but the best flavor is no longer made. :( It was a "Jalapeno Chipotle" mix......they stopped making it a few years ago.

Merc

• Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

Just had some House of Tsangs Schezuan Sauce on some baked Chicken.

Mmnnnnn...........................................good.

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Yeah, Kimi. It's the one you're likely to get in almost any restaurant if you ask for hot sauce or if they have it on the table already. It's the "default" hot sauce - more the result of their marketing people than the quality of the product, I think. As others have said, it's okay - but it's not my first choice by several steps.
    I like other brands of hot sauces, Rocky, and have enjoyed them all of my life, but Tobasco is the only one that I ever recall buying, aside from oriental sauces.  We even had them in our C-Rats back in the 60s, remember?
    What's next?
  • Options
    Yes indeed. I also like many other hot sauces. Currently working on the second 12-oz bottle of Texas Pete I got as a BOGO. I'll happily enjoy Tapatio, Frank's, Louisiana, Chalula, Crystal, and Tabasco. Have bought them all at one time or other. I don't like the extreme masochistic ones that people "enjoy" mostly to prove their manhood or something. Ones like Dave's Insanity Sauce (which I have tired) taste horribly metallic after their extreme burn. No thanks.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    We keep Dave's Gourmet Ghost Pepper Sauce on the counter.  It's our go to hot sauce when we are out of Tabasco.  Gift from our son.  Killer flavor.
    What's next?
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭
    Over decades I've tried about everything around.  Blair's is one that hasn't been mentioned yet. I've sampled many of their products and do like some.  I learned decades ago that hot sauces can have taste also and agree with for Rocky about crazy heat levels.  I have been buying AP for around 20 years and have reordered some.  I get e-mails from them now & then.  I'm always looking for something new and along with BBQ sauces, I've purchased many from suggestions here on the forum. Keep up with suggestions guys.
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭✭

You guys need to check out the Pepper palace in Gatlinburg . Hundreds of different hot sauces from around the world . From mild to off the scale hot

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    Agree whole intestinally, FCD.
  • Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭

I like Frank's Red Hot better than Tabasco

• Options
    Aztngundoc22Aztngundoc22 Member Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭
    OK : 
    Yes , The place in Gatlinburg is great !
    My favorite still is Tabasco , I also like many others , such as some of the habineros and tapatio & panola (clear) ....
     I carry a bottle of tabasco in each vehicle , never leave home w-out it ....
     Yes : Im a "pepperhead" !
    Thanks !!!
    The more people I meet : The more I like my Dog :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I Grew Old Too Fast (And Smart Too damn Slow !!!) !!! :o :?
  • Options
    JasonVJasonV Member Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭
    Are we talkin' about just regular hot sauces here, or only vinegar based hot sauces?
    If just any sauce can play, one I really like is called "El Yucateco - Chile Habanero".  First time I ever had it was in this full-on authentic Mexican place (they spoke exactly zero English in this place) which mostly only Mexicans go to (mostly illegals too).  Everything in the place was Mexican, including the meat.  I found some of it at a Mexican grocery store in Aurora and bought some.  I noticed recently that Walmart also carries it in their Mexican section (lots and LOTS of it!).  It's in a bottle with a yellow label with blue borders on the side.  Stuff is great!  They also make a green sauce which is really good too.  I highly recommend trying some.
    I'm going to try some of the Arizona Gunslinger sauce though.  I just looked on their website and they have a Cherry Chipotle Habanero which looks really good too (in addition to their original kind).  A fella can never have too many hot sauces.
    Never been a fan of Tabasco either.  In a pinch, if there's nothing else, but I'll almost take catsup over Tabasco.  Too much vinegar.
    This is the stuff...
    This is a good one.

Franks Hot Sauce and Louisiana Hot Source are not hot! IMHO probably the worst hot sauces on the market.
    formerly known as warpig883
  • Options
    notnownotnow Member Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭
    https://images.app.goo.gl/fU71KR6zhS9ofgHf8  I like most of them. Tabasco seem to be a reference point as in some are hotter or saltier etc. This Linghams I found at WalMart once. It's good but it's sweet which is hard to imagine but it's outside of the Mexican type we're used to. They make two heat levels. One is hot ,the other is mind-warping.

• Options
    edited November 2020
    It's my opinion that many insanely hot sauces in the right amount can add a ton of flavor and little heat.  YMMV.
    What's next?