In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Rutland Ohio voting

bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2020 in Politics
I was there about 7AM.  Got my temp taken, had a mask on to make others feel warm and cozy.  The system reads my DL code on the back and the lady actually looked at me then my signature to confirm they match.  Most of the poll workers know me by name but the process is designed to prevent voter fraud.  I wish other areas would stop whining about voter suppression and just follow a simple ID check to vote.
We had a new fangled voting machine that read the QR code then let me vote.  It was very easy to use.  Once done voting the machine printed out a strip of paper like a cash register receipt.  That went into the machine that registered my choices.
There was no waiting, no turmoil, no scenes requiring police.  Odd how us redneck dumbazzes way out in the back of flyover country seem to get  voting done without a fuss but Big Cities, full of hyper intelligent City Dwellers, can't seem to make it work very well.

Comments

• Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    Had the same setup where I was only no temp taking. I asked the woman ID me where my 100 was? Pulled out 3 crispy 100's to show her I got paid at the other 3 places I voted.  She couldn't be fooled.
  • Options
    US Military GuyUS Military Guy Member Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭✭
    I was at the polls at 7:30 AM this morning.  The county has consolidated a bunch of the polling locations (even outside the "city"), so it was a little bit more crowded than I am used to.  I actually had three people in front of me.  Two of them were in the wrong line so they moved out rather quickly.  By the time I had my driver's license out, the poll worker was waiting for it.

Signs about proper social distancing and that other "stuff" you are supposed to do in order to prevent The Apocalypse - not many folks paying any attention to the signs - cuz we have been seeing them for months now.  The guy in front of me was wearing a mask, but nobody else was . . . including the poll workers. 

Normally they would scan my license to make sure it was official and I had not printed it with my computer.  The scanner wasn't working so she had to type in all of the information.  Evidently it was a valid license because I was allowed to move forward.  It might have helped a little since she sat right beside me at the City Council meetings for eight years.  She was the City Clerk and I was one of the Council At Large.

Anyway the next stop was a card for my signature.  Oops!  I wasn't paying much attention when she told me what to do as I was still talking with the former City Clerk.  I might have included some extra information not needed and it might not have been on the correct line.  No problem.  All they really wanted was my signature.

Here is your ballot.  DO NOT PUT IT IN THE MACHINE WHEN YOU ARE FINISHED.  THE MACHINE IS NOT WORKING RIGHT NOW.   Hmmmmmmmm . . . . good thing this is small town Southwest Iowa otherwise I might have been concerned.  When I returned the ballot she placed it on a pile of maybe four others.  By then someone was already working on the machine.

• Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,473 ✭✭✭✭
    Why do we cater to the lowest common denominator? All of this whining and moaning about mail in voting. Most states have only known about the increase in absentee/mail in voting for 4 or 5 months. Now they say it will be several days to get them all processed! Couldn't the idiots plan a few months ahead and have trained people ready to handle the counting in an expeditious manner? Then the people whining about not getting it mailed in time have to be catered to. 

IMHO the rule should be all mail in voting must be in 1 week before the election. If the local clerk cannot have them counted by the end of election day they should be fined for each extra hour it takes. Counting should stop 12 hours after the polls close to prevent sudden discoveries of thousands of suspicious ballots that change an elections outcome. It was amazing that several precincts in Michigan had more votes than registered voters the last time around. I have never missed an election and cannot understand all of the problems caused by inept county clerks and lazy uninformed voters.

"Whew" I feel a lot better now! Bob
  • Options
    BikerBobBikerBob Member Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭

Lined up at 6:30. Township office out in the country, perhaps 4-5 miles away. Beautiful clear sky, Venus was very visible and bright. As the sun was rising and jet stream turned a deep red.

I was number 21 in line, nice conversation with the fellow behind me. The election officials were all nice and Everything worked as it should, they asked me to watch the counter increment to make sure the ballot was counted. We were home right after 7:30.

Didn’t feel anything was too long or too difficult.

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    BobJudy said:
    Why do we cater to the lowest common denominator? All of this whining and moaning about mail in voting. Most states have only known about the increase in absentee/mail in voting for 4 or 5 months. Now they say it will be several days to get them all processed! Couldn't the idiots plan a few months ahead and have trained people ready to handle the counting in an expeditious manner? Then the people whining about not getting it mailed in time have to be catered to. 

IMHO the rule should be all mail in voting must be in 1 week before the election. If the local clerk cannot have them counted by the end of election day they should be fined for each extra hour it takes. Counting should stop 12 hours after the polls close to prevent sudden discoveries of thousands of suspicious ballots that change an elections outcome. It was amazing that several precincts in Michigan had more votes than registered voters the last time around. I have never missed an election and cannot understand all of the problems caused by inept county clerks and lazy uninformed voters.

"Whew" I feel a lot better now! Bob

The outright theft of the election to get Al Franken into the senate is the most glaring example of votes mysteriously appearing in an election.  Of course they were "discovered" in a car trunk....I fear we are going to see the Franken phenomenon again in PA, WI, MN.
  • Options
    dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,786 ✭✭✭✭
    bpost, have you ever noticed that you can take a country boy and stick his fanny in downtown NYC and that poor country boy will be as lost as anyone can be.  Give him two weeks and he will have a job, a place to live, even if it is pretty poor living arrangements, will know where to go to get groceries or the cheap places to eat at, and will be able to get from point A to point B without getting lost.  He will get by.

Take a hot shot city person and stick his butt in a rural area in some place like SE Ohio and five years later he will still be getting lost trying to get from point A to point B.  The whole time he is wondering around he will tell you just how much smarter he is than the local yokels.  Uh huh, sure enough!!  
  • Options
    dunbarboyzdunbarboyz Member Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭✭
    I am from downtown NYC. I live in the UP of Michigan. Know my way around the woods better than most. You could drop me in Brooklyn or SE Ohio I would make it home. 
  • Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    Voted about 5PM today, usually first in line in the morning.
    About 4 voters in front and 2 behind. Had the antisocial lines on the floor and no wear you mask signs anywhere. Most voters had one on. Poll workers never asked or mentioned anything about having to wear one.
    Only dern sign was "no ID required to vote in this election". Bet that if you  went to eat at a steak house or eatery and ordered a "beverage" they would card you, One pizza joint that I was at asked  the customers beside me for their ID, they were at least 50 years old. BS