In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

another High Standard model B

MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
I picked this up today at a l.g.s., it looks to be all correct with an earlier ser.# 24706, d.o.b.? John

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    IMHO, 1937. Don't shoot it! Even with standard velocity ammo! The machined cut out, for the take down latch on the left side of the frame is very thin and fragile. After it's been shot, a crack will develop. Unfortunately it will only be visible when the slide has been removed. Way to late than.

I had 2 of the original Hartfords with the same design. That had self destructed, because of the use of modern high velocity ammo.
  • Options
    "After it's been shot, a crack will develop."..........I did shoot it last nite, and broke the extractor  :'(  . off to gunparts now, I'll check for the 'crack'. For 2 1/4 with 3 magazines I can 'parts' it out if need be. When I bought it, it wasn't assembled correctly (the take-down latch wasn't engaging the return spring) so I just reassembled properly.
    thanks for the date and warning 
  • Options
    John J StimsonJohn J Stimson Member Posts: 111 ✭✭✭
    24,706 shipped 7/9/1937 to Point Sporting Goods Co.

Some will crack especially if abused.   The instruction sheets and advertisements said that they would handle standard or high velocity. 

Skip the high velocity.  

With the more modern High Standard pistols  there now seems to be a "Crack" mania on the forums that greatly exaggerates reality.  Yes some do crack but only a very small number,  The 102 series had the highest percentage of any design series.

I have one Model B with a crack and 5 without.  I also have a dozen Hartfords and none are cracked.  Both the type I-A and I-B takedowns have the same design thus the same vulnerability. This includes the Models A, B, C, D, and E before they changed to the type II takedown. I have 28 guns in that category and only one crack.
  • Options
    $225 with 3 mags, GOOD DEAL!. If the mags are the original,  2 tone, "Finger" type. In good shape, would be worth at least $ 75 each on the auction. As they will also  work on the original, 1st series, short grip, Colt Woodsman.

Don't bother buying a extractor from GPC. The residual gas will blow out the fired brass, as long as te chamber is in good shape. I've had a bunch of 22 pistols over the years, with either broken or missing extractors. All to the best of my recollection, functioned fine without a extractor. Got of be careful  though, about forgetting  and leaving a live round in the chamber. Could be fatal.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    "If the mags are the original,  2 tone, "Finger" type. In good shape, ' I wish, green follower so replacement mags but they do work well. for about $10 I can replace or just make one.
    "$225 with 3 mags, GOOD DEAL!." exactly what I figured, just because they couldn't reassemble correctly.
    now about that .22 olympic  for 5 1/2
    just to note; Point sporting good is just about 35 miles from where I bought this
    "
    well. for about $10 I can replace or just make one.".......I was referring to the extractor, the magazines 'look' much better that the old KKK
  • Options
    "If the mags are the original,  2 tone, "Finger" type. In good shape, ' I wish, green follower so replacement mags but they do work well. for about $10 I can replace or just make one.

The mags with green followers, are most likely Triple K's. Sorry to say, they haven't been available for $10 for many years now. Last time I checked their prices, depending on what replacement mag your looking for. They were starting at $35 and up. The old cheap ones they made in Mexico, use to sell for around $10. Since they moved their production to the States, the price has gone up substantially.
  • Options
    John J StimsonJohn J Stimson Member Posts: 111 ✭✭✭
    Original magazines would have blued steel followers made from bar stock except for the very early ones which were cast iron.  The early cast iron followers were on guns much earlier than yours.  I agree with Rufe that what you have are probably Triple K.   Triple K has used several different green colors for its followers over the years.
  • Options
    "Original magazines would have blued steel followers made from bar stock"..........like they say a picture is worth a thousand words, so 1 original magazine and 2 after market. the after market ones aren't marked but do look like quality work.