In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Boy did I dodge a BIG bullet today...WHEW.

bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭

I went to Walmart to get doughnuts for some customers. They had pork spare ribs knocked down in price so low I HAD to buy them. I got home this afternoon and opened the upright freezer. Yup, it was starting thaw. I called every appliance store in Gallipolis Ohio the closest city (4,500) four appliance dealers 18 miles away. Only Aarons had one, a dink chest freezer for $89 a month. I said I don't want to rent it I want to buy it......Drum roll please, $1,191.91 plus tax for a 3.2 cubic foot freezer, I'll pass thank you.

I called the new Menards in Athens Oh and they had 13 upright freezers in stock. I never asked how much, I need one NOW. Drove the hour to Athens and picked the 18.9 CU/FT out the door for $839 with tax.

It is plugged in and cooling off now. Will load it up in a few hours. The one I had was used from a friend they had it for years, I paid them 50 bucks for it and got about 15 years more out of it. I am so glad I caught this when I did. I have a lot of food including a deer recently harvested, it would break my heart to lose that much food.

Comments

• KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

Had a Whirlpool Refrigerator/Freezer combo that failed after 1 yr 2 mo. (2 mo beyond warranty.) I had just loaded it up with over $200-250 worth of food. I was beyond P'sd. I will NEVER buy another Whirlpool appliance. EVER.

Glad you located your problem before losing all your stuff.

• ridgleyartridgleyart Member Posts: 937 ✭✭✭✭

Glad you caught it in time, I wasn't so lucky with my last one which only lasted a little over a year.

• dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,783 ✭✭✭✭

I'm glad it worked out. Being lucky is a good thing!!

I figured the bullet you dodged had something to do with making your wife VERY mad at you or something to do with your girlfriends husband/boyfriend being just a little unhappy with you!! 😂

• NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,628 ✭✭✭✭

Put the food in it NOW. The food is already cold and will help cool the interior of the new freezer. Glad you caught it in time!

• Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,196 ******

Great catch!

That is one of my big fears.

Losing all the deer and other meat I have in the freezer.

I have a apartment sized freezer in my basement and medium sized chest in my garage.

I got both used. The are both about 25 years old.

Still chugging along and better than anything made today

• Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,541 ✭✭✭✭

glad you were able to replace your Freezer and saved your food . I once had a freezer break down while we were on vacation it was not a pleasant smell after two weeks ,,

? I know its a long shot but ball bark 35 yrs ago I had some buddies and lost touch with over the years (three brother's ) that were from your neck of the woods Gallipolis /Kings mills two were carpenters one was a prison guard . the two I worked with in construction at good Sam hospital while adding on to it , we did a lot of trading ( cars /guns ) and went hunting back on there family farm .

"Big "Bob and Rick were the two I worked with then met there brother

any way I know its a long shot every heard of them Smith is there last name

• bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭

The funny thing is until you guys mentioned brands I had never looked or paid attention to it. It is a MAYTAG owned by Whirlpool IIRC. The sticker says the compressor has a 10 year replacement warranty, lets hope I never need to use it.

I am thinking about getting a temperature alarm for it. There are times I do not open it for a week or so. Today is that rare exception that saved a lot of deer meat, chicken, pork roasts, butter, frozen veggies and a 20 pound turkey.

I don't know many folks in Gallipolis excpet fellow pilots at the airport. The only Smith I know is Dave Smith, DDS a fellow pilot and a County Commissioner that got fired during the primary. He is a egotistical little jerk that is one of the richest men in the area, flying a $25,000 Piper Navajo with his 20 years younger trophy wife. He is a real work of art and it was awesome to see him booted, it slapped the ego grin right off his face getting booted in the primary, a rare occurrence.

• elect1mikeelect1mike Member Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭

My daughter had a side by side ref. with freezer drawer on bottom it was a kenmore with a week to go on warranty the compressor went out the guy took 3 weeks to get to her house had to order compressor another 3 weeks but finally got it fixed 3 months later same thing this time no warranty they said. So she went to Loews and it took 2 weeks for them to deliver hope this hot point last longer

• jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,638 ******

Does anyone know of a good freezer alarm? We’re stocking up on meat and would hate to lose it. The ones on Amazon don’t have good reviews.

Bruce, I lived in Coshocton when I was about 3. My dad was working at a power plant somewhere nearby. He was a boilermaker. We only lived there a couple of months.

• Cling2mygunsCling2myguns Member Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭

Cant find an upright freezer in NE TN for any amount of $$

• pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,246 ✭✭✭✭

Around 1965 my grandfather bought a chest freezer from Montgomery Ward . I inherited it and it finally died sometime about 1995 . Mom had a kenmore washing machine that lasted a little over twenty two years . Used daily during that time .

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,345 ******

I bought a new freezer from Home Depot about 5 years ago. The guys delivering it put it in place and removed the wrapping asked me what my preferred logo was?

I did not understand the question. Guy pulls out a small case from the truck containing various "stick on badges" for General Electric, Maytag, and a few other not so well known names. He explained these products are all the same and made in the same place. I just shook my head and chose the G\E as it was the prettiest! 😯

• SW0320SW0320 Member Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭✭

Good catch.

I was not so lucky a year ago. We have an upright freezer in the basement. The door did not close all the way after I went to get some frozen vegetables one day. We do not go down to basement every day so missed the door being open.

Noticed it a few days later and everything was thawed out, what a mess. Luckily my main fridge is large and all the deer meat we had left was in there.

• OkieOkie Member Posts: 991 ✭✭✭

Put a temp alarm on it.

You can get one for around $20 and get the type that has a large easy to ready digital readout for temp.

Extech sells some good ones. Dual temp alarm, outside and inside temp and programmable, Model something like 401012 and a AAA bat lasts forever.

I also placed a Refrigerator temp indicator inside the fridge easily visible when I open the door for a glance. Cost about $10 at wally world for flea bay. Also mark (witness mark) the temp dial on the freezer and fridge and if anyone ever monkeys with the temp dial you can immediately see such.

How do I know this stuff.

• NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,628 ✭✭✭✭

We don't want to offend the drug infested, FCD.

Sunshine, lollipops, and rainbows, don'tcha know...

• Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,251 ******

I use a wifi connected thermometer to monitor the temperature of my freezer and it's saved my butt a couple times.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain

Mr. P, can you give me the brand and model number? Or a link?