In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

All that glitters is not legal....

chmechme Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — Rapper Lil Wayne was charged Tuesday in Florida with possession of a firearm by a convicted felon, a federal offense that carries a potential sentence of up to 10 years in prison.

Documents filed in Miami federal court say the rapper, whose real name is Dwayne Michael Carter Jr., had a gun and ammunition on Dec. 23 of last year despite knowing he had the previous felony on his record.

Authorities said the rapper acknowledged owning the gold-plated handgun after his luggage was searched upon arriving in Miami on a private plane. A search warrant, first reported by the Miami Herald at the time, said Carter told investigators the gun was a Father's Day gift.

Carter's attorney, Howard Srebnick, said in an email that there are legal questions about whether mere possession of a weapon by a felon not judged to be dangerous fits the definition of a crime.

“Carter is charged with possessing a gold-plated handgun in his luggage on a private plane. There is no allegation that he ever fired it, brandished it, used it or threatened to use it,” Srebnick said. “There is no allegation that he is a dangerous person.”

Since his felony was a prior gun conviction in NY, the best of luck in making THAT argument.

Comments

• Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,668 ******

Lil Wayne is going to be somebody’s girlfriend.

• Options

“...said Carter told investigators the gun was a Father's Day gift.”

Only thing, he doesn’t know which baby mamma gave it to him.

• Options
    Cling2mygunsCling2myguns Member Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭

Not going to lose any sleep over this one.

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,577 ✭✭✭✭

I just happen to see some youtube ( guns and something? ) talking about it and how it may end up in the supreme court where the newly elected (Amy ) judge had ruled in the past on a similar case involving a gun said our forefathers did not want some ones rights taken away ( owning a firearm ) over a non violent crime . I do not recall the exact wording but they seemed to think it would be funny if she had to make a ruling on this as the left ( democrats ) dis like her over her gun views .

I am sure lots of info on the internet about the whole ordeal

he also the music rapper who came out in support of Trump not long ago

• Options

Oh, I agree 100%, warbirds. But, as a convicted felon, however unjust, he should know better.

Heck, chances are, he may not have known it was in there. One of his entourage may have screwed up.

• Options
    bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭

Why didn't he simply fling himself on the ground and claim, "I CAN'T BREEF!"?

The cops would have helped him up, dusted him off, slipped a fifty in his hand and sent him on his way.

I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"
  • Options
    chmechme Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭

Well, there was also the issue of the dope found with the gun.....

• Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭

jimdeere, If he get put away, where he belongs, they won't be calling him "little" for long. 🤣

It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020

Thank you, Warbirds. Easy to make fun of this guy. But his original felony was just a BS paperwork conviction.

No, this is all part of the gun grab by Hillary and Beto O'Rourke and the rest. They chip away at freedoms guaranteed in the Bill of Rights. One small group at a time, they chip away at gun rights, and lock up more and more people for supposed gun violations.

• Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

I agree Allen.

"They came for the Mentally defective, and I did not care. They came for the Gypsy's and I did not care, they came for the Jews and I did not care, then they came for me, and there was no one left to help."

Probably not word for word, but you get the idea.

• Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020

Many of us will face this same situation if Biden/Harris put through the plan that was on their campaign website.

He was arrested in Florida for breaking a law in NY where it would not be illegal in Florida, but as this was filed in Federal Court, it is probable that it was not a local law enforcement agency that made the arrest. Possible that it is just more deep-state harassment of a Trump supporter.

He is in a dangerous business, and has the right to protect himself.

Just as we all do and should.

I am with Warbirds on this one.

Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭

Could be interesting. It's not clear in news account why the plane was searched. Is it because a felony conviction cancels your 4th amendment right against unlawful search & seizure? Seems no different from an auto stop; police don't need much to stop you, but they need a good reason to search your vehicle if you don't give them permission. We're not getting the full story --- yet.

Justice Barrett answered a specific question during her committee testimony; that doesn't mean that she is looking for a "felon in possession" test case. The greatest power of the SCOTUS is their ability to decline to take any case.

Neal