In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Please Watch This Launch Today

Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭

I don't normally post launch announcements here. But this one is special.

Why? Read on...

Rocket Lab has scheduled the launch of their 16th mission from New Zealand for today. The launch window opens at 8:44 pm Eastern. They will deploy 30 small satellites for a variety of customers.

Two notable facets of this launch: This will be the first time they attempt to recover the first stage, after parachuting it into the ocean. Eventually, they hope to snag a descending booster out of the air with a helicopter to reuse the rocket.

Second, one of the payloads will be a mass simulator (balance weight) 3D printed of titanium and sponsored by noted computer game maker Gabe Newell. In tribute to gaming cleverness, the 6” tall item is shaped like the Half-Life game character Gnome Chompski.

In addition, Gabe Newell will donate $1 to a children’s hospital for everyone who tunes in to watch the launch via Rocket Lab’s website. Which is why I urge as many of you as possible to tune in and watch this one – for the kids. More details at this LINK

Do it! Watch HERE

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.

Comments

• Options
    redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,685 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options

As RocketLab themselves explain: they were originally against trying to recover first stages. But when they analyzed the economics of it, they realized that re-use is the equivalent of manufacturing a new one but at a tiny fraction of the cost. Result: the ability to launch more satellites for more customers, for less launch cost. (Exactly what SpaceX said a decade ago.)

If a RocketLab first stage booster costs (just a WAG) $15 million, and you can snag and re-use one for $3 million, the benefits are obvious.

NASA nor anyone else has ever recovered a first-stage rocket for re-use. (They did re-use the solid strapons for the Shuttle.) Future NASA Artemis missions are projected to cost over a billion dollars per launch because every part of it is thrown away.

RocketLab has already shown that they can catch a parachuting booster. They tested it with a booster-sized test object last year. This launch won't try that, nor will they refurbish this booster after it has been in salt water. It's a process, in achievable steps. This really is a pretty big deal.

• Options

Addendum: It also turns out that re-using the Space Shuttle solid rockets after they'd splashed down in the ocean cost more to clean and refurbish than just making brand new ones each time. Ocean recovery is not economic.

That will be more than true for RocketLab, who use all electric pumps to power their liquid fuel motors.

• Options

About 45 minutes until launch. The webcast will be up at 25 past the hour. See my first post for a link.

Remember, every viewer at launch time earns $1 for a children's intensive care unit.

• Options
    redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,685 ✭✭✭✭

Fifteen minutes folks.

• Options

Webcast is live!

• Options

Great launch. I'll be eager to hear how the first stage splashdown went.

Thanks to all who watched for the kids.

• Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,638 ✭✭✭✭

I must've done something wrong, Rocky. I didn't watch but only because I couldn't figure out how to get the darn thing to play. (Yes, I have a lot of Luddite blood in me!)

• Options

Here ya go...

BTW, if anyone else missed it, they are still awarding the $1 per view all day today. So watch this...

https://youtu.be/eZGI_lHGltA