In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Gun Topic... Mag Blocks

select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2020 in General Discussion

Looks like for a lot of firearms...under products Looks like the company is out front of what could be coming for magazine capacity.

Comments

• mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November 2020

These are the states with magazine restrictions:

Does the company state that their product has been approved by any of those states attorney generals as a permanent limitation on magazine capacity? There are magazine with "dimples" which limit the travel of the follower to ten rounds, but they are still banned in some states because all you have to do is to drill out the dimples to restore the magazine to full capacity.

Until there is paper clearly stating approval, I wouldn't spend a dime on any of these products. Of course I'm a Class 3 dealer, so, just like back in 1994, none of this childish stuff matters one bit to me 😉

• select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭

They act like a shot gun plug for migratory bird hunting. A plug to make the firearm correct. No clue if they are considered legal or not , or if the state I live in will adhere to any federal law restricting their citizens.

• Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭✭

This question came up in NJ when they set a limit of 15 rnds back in '90. This even included LEOs as they could have hi-caps at work & while going home. But there was no provision for them to have them either at home or while otherwise off duty. So, some official (I think from the AGs office) issued an interpretive letter that temporarily blocked mags were allowed. Hence, Glock made a small plastic block for the bottom of their mdl 17 mags. Some years later, the letter came to some other officials attention & it hit the oscillator. Alterations then had to be permanent and I think they accepted dimples, at least for a while.

• competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭

It looks like they are selling epoxy with it; so unlike shotgun plugs, once it's installed in a magazine, it would not be easily reversible. From the few state's laws I've read, the actual text of their laws require turning a standard-capacity magazine (what they call "high capacity) into a restricted-capacity (what they call "legal") magazine needs to be done so it is not "reversible"; reversibility in this area (a lot on this goes back to the 1994 "Crime Bill") usually means it can't be converted back with ordinary tools. Converting something by machining or welding would be more in the area of "manufacturing" -- and that is prohibited -- so I would expect in many cases, epoxying a plug to restrict the capacity of a magazine would probably be a way to meet the definition of a "legal magazine," but would want to see some clear statement from something like the Attorney General's office, if I were in some state with such laws.

I see some being sold on GB that are pinned...looks like a rivet. Going to get interesting how each state will handle what creepy joe is fixing to do.

This is actually the easiest way to correct ..

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/883592902

• chollagardenschollagardens Member Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭

select-fire posted; I see some being sold on GB that are pinned...looks like a rivet. Going to get interesting how each state will handle what creepy joe is fixing to do.

At one time I sold AK parts. Sometimes I would have to buy a "lot" of misc. stuff to get what I wanted. I ended up with a mismash of AK magazines. I discovered that there were different length followers for AK magazines. The short followers would make a 5rd AK magazine into a 10 rd. magazine. I wonder if some hi-cap magazines could change out the follower to make the follower longer to reduce the capacity of the magazine as needed for hunting regulations/ state restrictions. The followers could be changed as needed with out major alterations to the magazine.

I would think they can. But when buying the guts usually they cost as much as a whole mag