In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1917 New Departure Model .32 Safety Hammerless Third Model

I just purchased this revolver (serial number 2121XX. It is nickel plated with mother of pearl grips and a 1.5" barrel.

Any idea of the value?

Comments

• Options
    Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭

I would think the time to ask it's worth would have been before you purchased it, no?? It sure is pretty though. It will probably be hard to find another in that condition to compare. Has it been fired?? It looks new from your photos. Nice pictures by the way. You might consider getting a historical letter from S&W on this one.

• Options
    milwlandrovermilwlandrover Member Posts: 7

I got it at a good price and I liked it so the value was not important before I bought it. Now I would like to insure it. The rifling looks perfect I got the letter of Authenticity from S&W with the purchase. It was shipped from the factory January 18,1917 to A Baldwin & Co in New Orleans LA. No invoice was available. "Based on the special sight it would appear that at some point this revolver could have been modified".

It was a special order gun

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭

New Orleans huh! Must have belonged to the gent, that George Patton had referred to. Classic example of one carried a lot but seldom used.

• Options

A. Baldwin was a firearm supplier in New Orleans. It was across the street from the largest theatre in New Orleans. These little guns were bought by actors and politicians and ladies that seldom were used.

• Options

any suggestions?

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭

The late Norm Flayderman, in his reference to antique American firearms. Lists the the 3rd model with the short barrel. To be twice as valuable, as the longer barrel versions. Not even factoring in the nickel plating and MOP grips. Because of this, I would insure it for $2,000.

The only thing that bothers me is. Although your photos are excellent detail wise. The nickel plated finish, doesn't look as highly reflective as it should. I use to take a lot of gun photos. Taking accurate photos of high polish nickel plated pistols, were always a bear. Hopefully that is what is causing the color shift in your photos.

• Options

it is definitely nickel plate. I used an iphone and bad lighting for the photo (I got the gun yesterday night, and was exited to get some info on it. Thank you for the ball park value, it is about what I was thinking

cheers!

markw