In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

question about posted speed limits

callktulucallktulu Member Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭

Weird question - are road signs required to say "reduced speed ahead" when the speed limit changes (drops)? Nothing happened, no ticket or anything, just curious.

Comments

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******

I remember back in CA that a reduced speed ahead sign was only "required" if the posted limit was going to drop 15mph or more. I'm sure that every state has its own rules.

• Options
    gruntled2gruntled2 Member Posts: 560 ✭✭✭

I can remember places where there was no warning & the cop was hiding just beyond the new speed sign.

• Options
    chmechme Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭

Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices- Section 2C.38

To be used when the reduction in speed is 15 mph or greater. May be used at lesser speeds IF engineering judgement indicates a need.

• Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭

Radar beeps on the new car that a lower speed limit is approaching

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020

The only rule is : there are no rules. States & localities can do whatever they want. Even on the segments of the interstate that run through their jurisdiction.

Neal

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭

I didn't realize that ANYONE obeys speed limits anymore.

• Options
  • Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭✭

Speed limits are just suggestions !

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,189 ✭✭✭✭

I obey speed limits and yes I stay out of the passing lane. I have not had a speeding ticket since I was 16 (and that was a speed trap setup). I love seeing those guys who whip by me and a few minutes later, they are on the side of the road getting ticketed. My insurance rates are the lowest possible, too.

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options

How were you able to reach your keyboard from all the way up on that horse, Rocky?

• Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭

I thought those were the minimum limits. So does everyone else around here. I can be doing 1o or even 15 over and get passed by drivers doing at leas 10 more than I, some twice that. Seems to be a Covid effect.

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,346 ******

The 55 MPH country road leading into my little town goes to an instant 25 MPH when you hit the town limits which are still a ways in the sticks and downhill to boot! No warnings and our local Barney Fife is there quite a bit of the time.

All the locals know about this trap but new visitors many times find out the hard way. I guess that if I were to try and look at the bright side of this, we very rarely get hit with millage requests for sheriff support on election day.

• Options
    love2shootlove2shoot Member Posts: 553 ✭✭✭

In Indiana, the speed limit is 55 unless marked otherwise. Narrow, twisty, gravel ,etc, all 55. Really dangerous at times.

• Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,473 ✭✭✭✭

Rocky I thought I was the only one on here that observed speed limits. Unfortunately around Michigan there are to many that regard the posted limits as suggestions and ignore them. If everyone that speeds pushed the limits by a uniform margin it would be o.k. but some go 5 over and others 20 and everything in between. Near Detroit if a 5 over person gets in the passing lane he might get shot by a road rage 20mph speeder. I hate it in traffic when some idiot gets right on my rear bumper thinking it will make the whole lane of cars go faster. Don't the idiots see the cars in front of me? I know it is selfish of me but the only good thing during the major lockdown a few months ago was that there was almost no traffic and it was almost a pleasure to be on the road. Bob

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,189 ✭✭✭✭

There are at least the two of us, Bob. I guess we're both on that same high horse, huh?

No sense of superiority here, though. I'm just not in a hurry. The empty roads now are indeed a marvel.

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭

for the most part I have turned into a old man driving the speed limits majority of the time 😪

there is a small " town" we pass thru a lot when going to Springfield Oh . its about 25 miles give or take from us

they are famous for there speed trap and have been in trouble in the past for so many tickets issued by there officers (the state and I am sure lawyers have been involved even the local news a few times over the years has talked about them ) but the local cop'' not sure how many they have on payroll but one is always sitting along the road just inside the city limits like a spider waiting on a fly .

its just a wide spot in the road maybe a mile no more than two miles from posted signs from end to end on the main highway its 55 coming in then 35 then back to 55 from what I have read your going 38 you get pulled over some of the locals use to have signs in there yard just before entering the town "speed zone" hand painted with speed trap slow down . c we are aware so always slow down no need to add to there bank account

on the interstate now days I normally just keep with traffic any more what ever the group mentality happens to be from the speed limit or what ever it takes to keep in line

when I was much younger, well lets say I got my share of tickets and talked my way out of at least 5x as many ( i was a world class story teller on the fly when cornered ) , maybe just me but the LEO were more easy to deal with back in the day and were more apt to say slow down and send you on the way

I lost track of how many times I was told to get out of town for the night or they would follow me home that night , my normal was open headers street racing squealing tires being a nuisance , almost every local police and most sheriffs knew me by name and had shared quality time with me along the road at some point , if ran out of town I would drive down the road 15 miles to the next town for the rest of the night and was thrown out of it many times also for the night . no way would that happen today I was truly young dumb and lucky and fearless as possibly as kid could have been back then .

and yes I did loose my license once and had quit the point total racked up ( Ohio gave us points for any vehicle ticket )

oh I got a kick out of this back then my car insurance paper work / contract . always had a note "safe driver discount" . boy those were the days

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭

I drive a lot, about 2,000,000 miles so far. My last speeding ticket was in Illinois in 1981. I set the cruise on about 3 over and have never had a problem passing many Ohio State Troopers, County Deputies and city cops with zero issues or stops. I do tend to go only one or two over in 25 zones so the local revenue generators don't get any from me.

• Options

I said you were on a high horse because of how you responded. Suppose you were at a public yet social gathering and interacting with a small group of people, all sharing and contributing in a conversation. Let's say the topic of conversation is taxes and tax laws. Some of the people you know, some you don't. Some are experts in taxes & tax laws others are not. It's just a conversation that you're a part of and you're asking legitimate questions, learning thigs over the course of the conversation.

Then I walk up, a complete stranger to you and perhaps the rest of the group, and I say the following:

"I obey all tax laws and yes I stay out of trouble with the IRS. I have not had an IRS audit since I was 16 (and that was a government setup). I love seeing those guys who cheat on their taxes get immediately audited after I submit my tax return. My tax refunds are the highest possible, too."

How do you think that would come across to the group that was discussing tax laws, not those who cheat on their taxes?

I can't speak to that hypothetical scenario, but that's how you came across in this thread. I'm not trying to insult you or stir *, you just came across as high & mighty speed limit snob rather than contributing anything constructive to the conversation.

• Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,356 ***** Forums Admin

I did not take Rocky's post as high and mighty at all, but to each their own.

• Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,473 ✭✭✭✭

Discussions here often segue into multiple directions. I can't speak for Rocky but I also replied about not speeding. This was as much a reply to his post as it was to the Mobuck and Brier-49s posts before Rockys. You chastised him but made no mention of theirs or mine for that matter even though they didn't adhere strictly to answering your original question. I don't see any evidence of anyone climbing on their high horse unless it is someone insisting on adherence to a stay strictly on topic procedure. Bob

• Options
    discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭

i offer no sympathy to those who get caught speeding... have been ticketed 2 times. 1966 and 1976.. both in town 40+ in a 30 zone. my fault no excuses. i took the ticket, and paid my fine. big deal.and now if i get stopped its because of minimum speed. i take my time and schedule accordingly.

• Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭✭

Generally obey the posted limit around home . Being retired most days I am not in a big hurry . On trips on the interstate roads general go with the traffic flow or at most 5 miles an hour over the posted limit. Never been stopped or received a speeding ticket. . Deserved many in my younger hot rodding days , was just very lucky and never got stopped

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    awalker1829awalker1829 Member Posts: 1

I observe the posted speed limit most of the time. If I do exceed the posted limit, it’s no more than 5 mph over. On mountain roads, I always observe the posted speed limit and often have to go under it due to vehicle specific limits.

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭