In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.22 Hornet for deer? Seems so......

mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2020 in General Discussion

.......but not what the title may have lead you to believe.......lol

But seriously .22 Hornet for deer? I guess it's cool in the CZech Rep.

Comments

• Options
    dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,787 ✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't try it but I had a friend that hunted deer with a 22-250. He would only take close (inside 100 yards) shots. He would aim for the eyeball. Never heard of him missing a shot, watched him shoot a deer once. Instantly dead deer, as in, before it hits the ground.

Again, I wouldn't try it but I've seen a 224 bullet drop a deer graveyard dead.

• Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭

I'll go out on a limb and say that more than likely more deer have been killed with a 22LR than any other round.

On another thought. Had to make a few errands today. About a mile from here there is a wide intersection and to beat all some bastage had dumped two whole deer carcass right beside the road, parking area at an old store building. One had it's head cut off and the other was a 4 point buck, both nice sized deer. Ought to be some way to track jerks like this down and prosecuted to the fullest of the law. Even too sorry to dump them ought of sight.

• Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******

...I guess, if you can always get a perfect head shot...NEVER would attempt it...not sure if its even legal here in Texas.

WTH would anyone think of u deer??  Deer are NOT  woosies by any means. Ive killed more than my share thru the years...not too many fell where they were shot, regardless of shot placement. Deer are tough, hell they have to be, considering where and how they live.

Ive blown out hearts & lungs & had them run thru brush so thick I had to back-up thru it to trail them, not  unusual at all. Ive killed a lot of deer with a 30-30, but have used an 06 or 7mag for a long time now...don't have to trail them as far...😗

• Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭

They can be tough. Shot one at about 100 yards a few years ago. Darn thing ran pretty far up hill then died and rolled back down to where he started out. During the field dressing procedure the shot had taken the bottom half of his heart out slick as a knife cut.

On another event, shot one in the neck. 100 plus yards. One lunge and DRT. No blood and only one small wound in the bottom of his neck. Could not find where the bullet went in. Taxidermist said the entry hole was about 2 inches across from the exit wound. Bullet never even drew blood, traveled under the skin. Shock I would guess.

Both shots were from a 7mm magnum.

The 22 LR was most likely illegal. Can you say spot light?

• Options
    edited November 2020

You ALL missed the damn point. A Czech hunter had a .22 Hornet for deer............NOW THE DEER HAS IT........read the post and article.

Anyhooooo. For all of you Yahoos defending .22, or such for deer..........ya'll go on wit' yo' bad selves.

• Options
    Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭

I don't hunt but I have a friend who is an avid hunter and he told me he has killed a good number of deer with a .22 magnum rifle. He is a good shot and hunts from a tree stand. He never shoots farther that 50 yards and shoots them in the ear. He says they drop in their tracks.

• Options
    dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,787 ✭✭✭✭

I'm not defending using any 224 for deer, as I said, I wouldn't do it.

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭

Keep in mind that we can choose which of our several guns we use to hunt deer. Someone elsewhere on the globe (like a Czech hunter, perhaps) may not have that luxury.

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,956 ✭✭✭✭

Minimum here is .24, but plenty have been taken with .22lr and probably more with .30-30 than any other round. That ain't a bean field rifle either.

• Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭✭

There must be tougher deer in other parts of the world,but a 55 grain 223 bullet placed where the shoulder and neck meet will kill every deer that I shot around here.

• Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭✭

My theory is and it's my theory only, any bullet that can kill a human will kill a deer if said bullet is placed in the right location. I've seen both go DRT shot with small calibers and both wounded shot with large calibers live ??? IMHO, the shooters skill and his judgment is the key........but the debate will go on forever & ever..........😄

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    ridgleyartridgleyart Member Posts: 937 ✭✭✭✭

In missouri the requirement is that it's a centerfire cartridge. I know people that hunt and kill with a .204.

• Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭

22 Hornet is a poachers favorite round

• Options
    Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭

Based on my experience...the 22LR is a poachers favorite round...Just my 2cents...

Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,956 ✭✭✭✭

According to TV crime shows, assassins prefer it too. But only the pros, amateurs seem to go for .38 for a 1.25 inch S&W.

• Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭

The Inuit kill polar bears with .22 Hornet. They use what they have in their hand when they need it. The .22 Hornet is a lite rifle with lite ammunition and it can be reloaded easily and cheaply. A lot of them use it as daily tool. So if they happen to see a polar bear it's what they have in their hand.

I know a guy that ran black bears with dogs and he shot most of them out with a .22 mag rifle. Head shots of course.

• Options
    ridgleyartridgleyart Member Posts: 937 ✭✭✭✭

i've always heard the .22 mag was the poacher's favorite.

• Options

Guys.........the point was not about the caliber, appropriate or not...........It is that the hunter lost the rifle to the deer. My title was merely a play on words.

• Options
    OkieOkie Member Posts: 991 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2020

22 hornet. next thing to a BB gun.

Not near as mean as a real Hornet.

Someone just happened to give it a mean name. Kinda in the same name category as the Credmore.

If you as the gun manu do not get the name correct you are SOL.

• Options

I did read the article. That's some crazy stuff. I wonder what he was hunting as he had a dog with him.

• Options
    edited November 2020

I'm kinda ashamed to admit to such but a small buck almost ran over me, almost got my rifle while I was shooting at it and it running straight at me. My first of 5 shots was at about 140 yards downhill in somewhat open pine forest. the animal started running uphill towards me zig zagging through the timber in a all out run. I had to jump behind a big pine tree making sure my rifle with sling was behind the big pine tree with me and the deer landed where I was standing and almost side swiped the tree as it went by and was going straight away and I thought I've got you now and the gun clicked on empty chamber. That Deers eye was big as a saucer and rolling white when he went by. Suspect that Deer thought he was in a lightning storm and never did see me. 5 shots from a Remington 141, 35 caliber pump rifle and I thought I was a good shot.

Later that morning my hunting buddy said, did you hear someone shoot 5 shots really fast this morning, sounded like a auto rifle. I sheepishly said yep, I heard that, it was me.

He said you can shoot that gun faster than a auto rifle. I said yep, need a longer magazine tube that holds more shells.

I've killed lots of running deer with that old 35 Remington 141 but had problems doing so with that one running at me. My hunting buddy had seen me kill them the 3rd shot running dead out in front of dogs. I could almost quail hunt with that old 141 but that deer embarrassed me. Just glad that buck did not get my rifle and my hunting buddy was not their to see the show. (having to hide behind the tree to keep from getting run over by the animal coming at me)

I finally scoped the gun with a K3 Weaver. You would not believe how accurate that gun is at 100 yards with a 200 gr bullet, but You can fire a shot at a 100 yard target and sounds like couple seconds before the bullet hits the target. It's now a safe queen, replaced with a 7mm Wby mag. Cannot hear that 7 mag bullet hit the target, just see an explosion.

• Options
    edited November 2020

Yes, but a deer ever steal your gun from you? There is a deer in the Czech RP........prancing around in the forest with a .22 Hornet hanging from it's rack. The OP was a discussion of this............not taking game with .22 cal..........play on words it was.

• Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    edited November 2020

Agreed .......... no intention of starting a GD caliber discussion............it was a funny story.

That being said.........I find that most sheeple go through life expounding on that of which they do not know or little understand...........IT'S ALL IN THE CONTEXT......which most ignore.......here included I guess.

• Options

A fellow i know had a buck chase him around a tree. It was teed off. He finally got a slug in it. His coat was tore from an antler.

• Options

AND lots of deer hunters would not survive very long if that Deer or any Deer could use a rifle and ambush hunters and shoot back.

Seeing a Buck Deer carrying a rifle in the woods would be a jaw dropper, similar to the new GMC tailgate commercial on TV.

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭

Mohawk's post is a tale of the biter bit.

Instead of "man takes deer with a .22 Hornet" the story is "deer takes .22 Hornet from man."

But many repliers didn't take the time to read that.

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭

I have read several stories about some guy shooting a deer and posing his gun in the rack then the deer jumps up and runs away. I even read a story about some guy who put a suposedly dead deer in his car. The deer woke up and trashed him and his car trying to get away.

As far is a 22 Hornet enough gun for deer I would say yes. I have shot several deer in my garden with a 22 Magnum and a few with a 22 Hornet, all were head shots inside 30 yards all were stone dead when they hit the ground. If I was going hunting a 22 Hornet would not be my 1st choice but if I picked my shots I think it would do fine.

RLTW

• Options

A caliber discussion for deer hunting was not the intent of the Original Post............it was that the deer took the hunter's gun.

Now that so many people posting to this thread are hot on .22 Hornet...................I might just have to look for one.

• Options
    danielgagedanielgage Member Posts: 10,474 ✭✭✭✭

my cousin told me that he had a doe run into his truck

so he threw it in the back of his truck and went home

but the deer woke up by the time he got there apparently it was just knocked out but had hip damage also and could not get out of the bed of the truck

I said what did you do

he said he roped it and drug it out of his truck and shot it with .22

LOL

• Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,027 ******

Some can't read, thus all the memes

• Options
    DammitboyDammitboy Member Posts: 15 ✭✭

Funny story, happens almost every hunting season.

shot and killed plenty of deer and hogs with a .22lr though

• Options

Seems like a lot of people don't take the time to read the original post.........they just see the title and run with their comments.

• Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭

This banter is all fine and dandy, but the real question has yet to be answered...

Will a .270 Winchester take down a deer running through the forest with a .22 Hornet hung up in it's antlers?

• Options
  • Options
    roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,131 ✭✭✭✭

If a deer ever takes my rifle ... I’m done hunting

Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,379 ******

This post now has me hunting for a nice buck carrying a rifle on his rack! Just think of what a prize that would be!

Meat, trophy rack, and a free rifle!! 😁