In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

How many of you learned to shoot with your Mattel Shootin-Shell-Gun??

dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,787 ✭✭✭✭

Thank you Lord for my Grandparents!!! My parents didn't have the money for the fast draw rig like Gramp bought for my brother and I. I can remember standing in front of the TV every Saturday night for years trying to outdraw Marshall Dillion!! I think I got my Shootin-Shell-Gun in 1955 when I was 8 years old!! Probably my single favorite present I ever got as a kid!! I think that is part of the reason I have loved shooting revolvers all my life! Popped some 22 and 327 Single Six ammo yesterday. Loved every shot!

By the time I was 11 my plastic bullet would bounce off the TV screen before Matt fired!! I was so proud!! 😁

If you want a shock look up what the Shootin-Shell-Guns go for today. If you want a real shock see what a dozen of the plastic bullets go for!!

Comments

• Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,750 ✭✭✭✭

Yes, indeed , I had one in the 60's . Real bullets made of plastic coming out of a pot metal barrel. IMAGINE THE HORROR if kids had such things. Thinking was the 38 silver plated with black holster?

• Options
    redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,686 ✭✭✭✭

Never had any plastic guns. First pistol remember shooting was a High Standard HD Military. Don't have the exact one (was stolen several years ago) but have quite a few just like it.

• Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭

I cut my teeth on the butt of a Colt revolver. Pappy had to make new grips by the time I was walking.

• Options
    gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭

Sure as Hades did.

If you want to cry - check the prices on popular auction sites !!!

It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books
  • Options
    mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭

I went from dime-store and yes I mean greenstamp dime-store cap guns straight to a Winchester 1906.

• Options
    ltcdotyltcdoty Member Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭

I also had the rolling block shootin shell carbine..

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,575 ✭✭✭✭

I also use to stand in front of the TV as a very young fellow and draw against marshal Dillon every week

as for the shootin shell when I was about 7 or 8 maybe at a local fair I won my rifle in a potato sack race ( I am sure some of you other old fellows remember those )

I would have never had one if not for that I did have the cheap cap guns of the day but nothing fancy with holsters and so on the " rich kids had LOL ) back then all neighborhood kids we would pool our "pop bottle" money and buy a box of caps to split up and play for the day

the shootin shell became my prized possession . . I took great care of where I shot it so I could recover the bullets , then my dad and uncles got there fingerers on it in amazement of how it worked and in short order lost all but just a couple bullets and the plastic clips were broken on the them . I was heart broken and had no idea or really money replacements could be had , not long after some one sat on it forever destroying my rifle ..

I have looked on the auctions in the past but its amazing what they bring and the vacuum sealed plastic bullet's and the shells "factory sealed ammo " lol are crazy prices

but I will never forget the short time I had it

• Options
    mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭✭

you would loose most of them i remember get little bags of replacement bullets and dont forget the green meenie stick on caps ( still have some ) for the that realistic bang

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,375 ******

I had mine for many years and gave it to my grandson a few years ago for his 8th birthday.