In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Wagyu steak......

mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,373 ✭✭✭✭

As I have mentioned before.......I work for a grocer, in the meat dept. on the cold/prepackaged wall. I volunteered to work Thanksgiving for the hrs. Turns out I got a good deal. I bought a small Wagyu steak 2 days prior, intending to cook it for Thanksgiving. I did, and I overcooked it. It was still good if you like med.

Thurs. I got a couple of $48/lb counter cut steaks that were going to be put into the next day's grind 'cause they don't go out to the counter again. I got them........ahem' for less than $48/lb. Divided one in half......cooked 1st half last night based on my prior night's learning.........salt/pepper/ pan seared.....finished in the oven to rare....med/rare.

Doing the second half of it right now.......and I think I got it down. I didn't set off my smoke detector with the sear this time......only browned the butter and got it in the oven nicely basted. In about 2 min I am going to pull that bad boy out and not cut into it to check done-ness. I will let it rest and eat it at it's doneness...........again.......I think I will have achieved rare to medium/rare. Best wasy to get the full flavor of a steak like that.

I can't afford steak all the time.......but from now on I will go with Wagyu...........it's pretty damn delicious.

Still have one more that I can divvy up into the next two nights and further refine my technique.......I have been ruined by Wagyu.

Comments