In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

East Texas Yard Nature 2020 – Putty Tat - Deer Update

Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
edited December 2020 in General Discussion

After Feral Hogs did some damage to our backyard in September 2019, I replaced all of the Floodlights on the backside of our house with Ring Floodlight Cams with motion detection to monitor for intruders, four legged or two legged! I also put a Chamberlain Motion Alert sensor (nicknamed Critter Detector) down along the edge of our woods to alert us to any motion that might not be picked up by the Ring Cameras. The Chamberlain system is great, but without pictures or video of what triggered the motion alert, you are left guessing, especially at night. So, after I installed two Ring Floodlight Cams for a friend of ours from Church, she no longer needed her Game Cameras, so I bought them and put them down near the Critter Detector in hopes of seeing something exotic like our Cougar, Minks, or Ring-Tailed Cats. Until yesterday morning the only things that had been captured by the Game Cameras were domestic cats, dogs, squirrels, racoons, possums, birds, and me. However, Saturday morning around 5am I was awakened when the Chamberlain receiver in our house beeped alerting us to motion detection, but I was too lazy to get out of bed and turn on a Floodlight to look. I expected to see the usual critters, but much to my surprise when I downloaded the files from the SD Cards out of my two Cameras, this medium sized Kitty Cat was captured, YAY! It wasn’t our Cougar, but it is a nice sized Bobcat! It was traveling along the edge of our woods, North to South, down near the bottom of our backyard.

Picture removed.

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

Comments

• Options
    redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,686 ✭✭✭✭

Good looking fella!

• Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,016 ******

he ain't starving,,,

• Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭

You have all kinds of wild critters in your neck of the woods, Bill!

What's next?
  • Options
    mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    pingjockeypingjockey Member Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭✭

Nice you were able to get it on film. I saw our first lion this summer, about 150 yards out from the front door. Strange thing is, it was a coyote that got my attention. It was sounding a territorial bark and howl and broke out of the timber, spun around

and continued its vocals. I was about 125 yds away with my 22mag when this lion stepped out of the timber. A big cat, it strolled over the hill and disappeared. Never did pay any attention to the coyote.

• Options

pingjockey; we have a Cougar that frequents our woods and I've seen it on several occasions, but I've never been able to get a picture of it. I hope to capture its image on one of the Game Cameras.

Our Critter Detector alerted twice in rapid succession about 10pm last night and when I looked out I saw at least two deer down along the woods line. I'll check the cameras a little later, after it warms up 😂, and see if they captured them.

• Options
    pingjockeypingjockey Member Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭✭

Hope you get some good pictures. Our area is broken timber and hay ground on the south rim of Lolo Creek. There are cats all around us but this was the first one I've seen. It was just before noon and the last thing I expected. My game camera always fills up with deer and turkey pictures so I don't put it out very often.

• Options
    edited December 2020

DEER UPDATE:

Last night around 9:45pm some Deer showed up and set off the Critter Detector; there were at least two. Here is a picture of one of them in pretty much the same spot as the Bobcat.

Picture removed.

This picture is from a different camera down near the pond.

Picture removed.