In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Would like velocity and trajectory comparison

montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,063 ******
edited November 2020 in Ask the Experts

between 150 gr .270 Win and 120 gr 6.5 creedmoor. Would really like side by side comparison. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******

This is one for moderator nononsense, who is the site's expert in ballistics.

• Options
    MillironMilliron Member Posts: 271 ✭✭

Guess you have good reason for this. Seems to me to be an apple/orange thing. Why not compare !40 grain in each. JMHO

• Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,976 ******

bullet 'weight' has little to do with 'trajectory', the ballistic coefficient and velocity do. best is to compare bullets with the same b.c.

• Options
    MillironMilliron Member Posts: 271 ✭✭

And that makes sense. Guess I am "hard wired" to terminal effect. Let my prejudice keep me from "listening" to the question.

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭

There are a couple of stumbling blocks when we try to compare two different cartridges and two different bullets. But we can make some generalizations regarding the bullets flight based on internal ballistic calculations.

The above examples from Nosler are good general charts for internal powder performance which allow for a muzzle velocity comparison. From here we can take this MV information and use it to plot ballistic profiles or drop and drift charts.

My comparison is done from my notes and calculations using the same style bullet, the 150 gr. and the 120 gr. Ballistic Tips. Without getting into some interesting math I can generalize the following information:

.270 Win. + 150 gr. BT = 2987 fps. @ the muzzle, 2972 ft/lbs. of energy at the muzzle in a 24" barrel

Keeping 1000 ft/lbs. as the minimum energy at any distance this yields:

700 yards maximum with 109 inches of drop and 33 inches of drip in an average 10 MPH 90 degree wind.

________

6.5 Creedmoor + 120 gr. BT = 3100 fps. @ the muzzle, 2610 ft/lbs. of energy at the muzzle in a 24" barrel

Again, keeping 1,000 ft/lbs. as the minimum energy at any distance this yields:

600 yards maximum with 66 inches of drop and 24 inches of drift in an average 10 MPH 90 degree wind.

________

All of these numbers can be juggled to provide several different scenarios just as in any statistical report. The numbers I used above attempt to keep things in an 'apple to apple' comparison. Even the barrel length is the same. You can derive the information simply from the above. You can also doa much more complex version by juggling the bullet style and weight, often achieving some surprising results.

Best.

• Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭

Here is a start.. go to each link on the site at the top. It will show trajectory ..enter bullet type etc... This will keep you busy for awhile .. but real interesting on ballistic coefficient on long range energy.

http://www.shooterscalculator.com/bullet-kinetic-energy.php

• Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,063 ******

Thanks, that answers what I was looking for and then some. I appreciate you taking the time to figure and post this.

Just trying to do a comparison of grandma's .270 with the round she uses -vs- granddaughter's 6.5 and the round she uses.

Select, thanks for the link, that could be cool to play with comparing rounds.

• Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020

Thank you for the thread. I got the 25/06 miracle bullet from nononsense's post on another thread

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭

My hunting partner showed up with a .270 to zero for our upcoming elk hunt. After a few shots, the 270's recoil was getting to him so I offered to let him pop a couple through the suppressed 6.5Creedmoor. His comment "Nice little deer gun, too bad it's not got enough gitty up for elk". I produced the numbers indicating the 6.5C was only 6-7% below his mighty 270 at ethical hunting ranges. Then I told him the only thing preventing me from taking the 6.5C on our hunt was lack of suitable ammo.

We got his 270 zeroed but darned if the guy didn't spend half a day driving around Des Moines looking for some Accubond/Partition/ Barnes bullet 6.5C ammo. I'd bet he owns a 6.5C before we go west next year. The only reason I bought the rifle was due to it being suppressor ready in an economical package but it sure is fun to shoot and coffee cup accurate to 350 yards.

• Options
    Bottom GunBottom Gun Member Posts: 232 ✭✭

I've been using this one. It will allow comparison of two loads in graph and chart form.

Mechanical engineers have their moments.
This discussion has been closed.