In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Who wants an ejection seat- they’re on sale!

Comments

• Options
    mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭

Only if it still has the rocket assist.

• Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭

I do know an aerospace inspector that would sure be surprised it that showed up at his front door.

• Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,000 ******

have it placed in his yard with a tattered parachute attached

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭

Nope. Spent too much time strapped into one of those torture devices.

Ejection seats have no soft cushion to sit on because if you do eject, a cushion allows the seat to get a "running start" before it smacks your spine. Guaranteed spinal fracture. It's hard metal everywhere or a thin hard "pad" at best. Now throw in the hard buckles and tight straps of the parachute plus your seat harness. Every one of them digs into you constantly. In some very tender places.

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭

My BIL rigged them on a carrier in the Gulf of Tonkin during the Vietnam War. As I recall, any pilot that punched out was expected to bring a case of liquor for the crew that rigged his seat when he returned to the ship.

Neal

• Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,531 ✭✭✭✭

Only $12,500.00 does that include free shipping?

• Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,191 ✭✭✭✭

Newsflash: "A southern Indiana man was seriously injured today when an ejection seat from a Vietnam era fighter jet he had purchased on the internet triggered and launched him out of his house into a neighbor's back yard several homes away. Details at 9."

Living next door to Indiana, I can verify that this story is very believable. The things I've seen Hoosiers do would curl your hair.

Joe

• Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭

I live next door Seymour Johnson Air Force base. During the early 70’s an airman committed suicide by ejection. He sat down in an F 4 ,armed the seat and pulled the punch out handle while the plane was parked in the hanger . According to a friend who worked at the base fire Dept it was not a pretty sight

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭✭

wire it to a steering wheel bag lots of laughs

• Options
    scrumpyjackscrumpyjack Member Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭

Those zero-zero Mk7 seats saved a lot of aircrew but also injured or killed a lot of maintainers. I was at Nellis AFB for a Gunsmoke or other bomb comp in the early 90s when we witnessed a maintainer triggered the seat while leaning into the cockpit. Not a good outcome for him. Seat shot up in the air, took him with it part of the way and he landed on the left wing DRT.

checklist called for pilot to install 1 of the 7 safety pins once in chocks and engines shutdown, crew chief would install the 6 remaining after crew egressed. I don’t remember if he didn’t check the pins , but I’m thankful to have been on F-111s that had a crew ejection module due to being side by side seating.

• Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,397 ✭✭✭✭

Major letdown, thought it was an erection seat.

• Options
    mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020

WOW.........................that was a pretty creative way to go.

I am a licensed skydiver and know of a guy who went to Ifly and took lessons to learn how to control his body in the air. Maxxed out his credit cards.....gave some gifts to his friends.........rented a car and drove to Yellowstone. He jumped off of El Capitan and cruised down to the meadow without a BASE rig. All that was left was a long red streak in the grass.

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,350 ******
    edited December 2020

I was a crew chief working on F4's in the early 70's. Pulled and installed a lot of those safety pins for the ejection seats! The seats had two methods of deployment. The dual ringed handled over your head and face shield pull down and the single handle down between your legs.

The seats had what was called 00 capability. Meaning you could survive an ejection from the ground. Being fully strapped in of coarse.