In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Finally sighted in my AR today

ridgleyartridgleyart Member Posts: 937 ✭✭✭✭

Boy is this thing fun to shoot, but I'm definitely going to need some practice time with it. I used plain jane WWB 55gr FMJ. the shots below the diamond were my sight in/play shots, the other five shots were the first shots at 100 yards. I think it will get more accurate with more time put in with it, and with the new trigger installed.

Comments

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭

The trigger will make a huge difference, what twist is your barrel?

If it is a 7 or 8 try 69 gr Hornaday bullets.

If it is less try the 52 Sierra matchking.

• Options

bpost, I'm not sure on the twist rate and Anderson doesn't have any info on their site. I'll definitely be trying other ammo as I find it, but for now the WWB is what I have.

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020

The twist can be determined by a stamping on the barrel it is probably on top near the muzzle hidden by the hand guard. It may also be determined with a cleaning rod and tight patch. Push the patch in about an inch, and use a sharpie to mark top dead center of the rod near the handle. Put a cross mark laterally on the rod at the back of the receiver. Move the rod one full revolution forward. Mark the rod at the back of the receiver again. Remove the rod and measure the distance from receiver mark to mark, that will be your twist rate.

I have found AR platforms to be quite accurate 1-1/2 inches with (what used to be cheap) ball ammo. They really are good, reliable accurate guns that deserve respect. Out of the box they are not Match Grade guns but most of them will hit an orange first shot at two hundred yards with quality optics and an upgraded drop in trigger.

• Options
    diver-rigdiver-rig Member Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020

Why, when I was a kid, (in the USMC), we didn't use fancy optics. We shot from 200, 300, and 500 yards, and we liked it that way!

The 500 yard line was prone position, and your bread and butter.

Of course, walking 2 miles, uphill, through 4' of snow, both ways, to get to the range was a burden. But we liked it!

To the OP, congrats, and looks like you had a great time!

• Options
    TANK78ZTANK78Z Member Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭

you can find a Rise armaments Rave 140 drop in trigger group that claims to be 3.5 lbs but usually run just over 4 lbs for around $100.

just google it and look at their Rave 140 trigger comes in both straight and curved face. you can't beat it for decent quality and very reasonable cost and they come with anti-walk point included.

you can spend a lot more on really fine triggers but unless you are shooting matches or for money this one will serve very well.

• Options
    Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭

Anderson stamps their barrels just behind the birdcage ...

Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member
  • Options
  • Options
    Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭

Something else you might want to consider is a muzzle break...I went with J-89 from Strike Industries ...it reduces recoil by appx 60%...

Tom...

Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member
  • Options
    dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,786 ✭✭✭✭

We all like to shoot accurate rifles. I do think we often are after more accuracy than we need. If you are looking at your AR as a possible defensive weapon, that group looks just fine to me!! Just how far out would that be angle of body mass??

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭

I have at least one AR barrel that has the caliber/twist rate stamped on the boss behind the muzzle threading. Very tiny but there none-the-less. Some barrels are stamped so lightly that it almost looks like a stencil but almost all are stamped in a spot visible w/o removing the HG.