In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Good stuff

Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭

Thinking about the Guacamole recipe made me think of stuff I really like.

I love pickled red onions especially on smoked salmon and hotdogs. They are so easy to make.

This the way I make them:

Ingredients

• 1 medium red onion, very thinly sliced
  • ½ cup water
  • ¼ cup distilled white vinegar
  • ¼ cup apple cider vinegar or additional white vinegar
  • 1 ½ tablespoons of honey or sugar
  • 1 ½ teaspoons fine sea salt
  • ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes and some black pepercorns

Instructions

1. Pack the onions into a 1-pint mason jar or similar heat-safe vessel. Place the jar in the sink, to catch any splashes of hot vinegar later.
  2. In a small saucepan, combine the water, both vinegars, honey or sugar, salt, and pepper flakes. Bring the mixture to a gentle simmer over medium heat, then carefully pour the mixture into the jar over the onions.
  3. Use a butter knife or spoon to press the onions down into the vinegar and pop any air bubbles in the jar. Let the pickled onions cool to room temperature (about 20 to 30 minutes), at which point they should be sufficiently pickled for serving.
  4. Cover and refrigerate leftover pickled onions for later. Quick-pickled onions are best consumed within three days, but they keep for 2 to 3 weeks in the refrigerator.

I copied this from an internet recipe. You can also slice a jalapeno real thin and add it for more heat.

RLTW

Comments

• Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

Appreciate the recipes. Copying to my files.

(Incl. The two Guacamole recipes.)

Thanks, much appreciated.

• Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭

I hope you like them Ken

One thing about Guac is add whatever you like and it will be good. I really like Bacon in mine.

Another recipe to check out is ceviche. Its raw fish cooked in lime juice with peppers and onions.

Check this out:

Its great with crappie believe it or not but I think sea bass is the best because its like a Corvinia which is what it should be made with. Its the national dish of Panama and I have eaten a truck load of it.

RLTW