In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Redhawk

Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭

Ok fellow gun fans I have shot just about every 44 magnum revolver made with the exception of a Korth.

I say the 5.5" Redhawk Stainless gun is the number one of the bunch. Sorry S&W but that is my impression on it.

Strong

long cylinder to hold long bullets

great trigger

Good heft

Great mechanics and easy to work on and take apart.

Really good factory grip a little smooth but workable

Great size and easy to change the sights

Man I like this gun. I will never get rid of it the M29 will go 1st.

Flame on............................................................................

RLTW

Comments

• Options
    dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,787 ✭✭✭✭

Totally agree!! I had a Thad Rybka custom holster made for mine. This just might be the best holster for my 44 Redhawk there is!!

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,310 ******

I love it, personally.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭✭

Hunted again with mine today! Its hard to beat!

• Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭

I'm rather fond of my Super Redhawk. Not many other 44 mags that strong on the market.

• Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,455 ✭✭✭✭

One of the few guns that I have never shot so I can't comment on this one.

Looked at them a couple times for some reason just never brought one home with me

• Options
    Mark GMark G Member Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭

I say the 5.5" Redhawk Stainless gun is the number one of the bunch.

I had one of those and it is a fine revolver. I have also had a S&W 629 with 8-3/8" barrel and liked that alot as well.

But my favorite 44MAG was my 6" Colt Anaconda.

• Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭✭

Hard to beat a Redhawk.

• Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,667 ******

I have an early Super Redhawk in .480 Ruger, but I always like the look and feel of the RedHawks.

• Options

I had a 7.5" gun it was a blued one with the built in Ruger ring and mount on the barrel. It shot good and was accurate but I never really liked it all that much. I had a 6" S&W 629 Classic with a scope that was my go-to hunting gun and I got the Big Redhawk to replace it. I figured I could really load up the Redhawk and the extra inch and a half of barrel would help. I like the ring set up on the Redhawk vs the 629 Classic and I like that gun was blued and would not shine like the Stainless 629.

I figured it would be about the perfect hunting revolver............That said it was just so big and heavy, I might as well have been humping around a T/C Super 14.

It got sold as well as the 629 Classic cause I don't hunt anymore and really had no use for such large guns. I kept my Dan Wesson if I ever decide I need a huge 44 magnum revolver with a scope.

RLTW

• Options
    Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,359 ******

Sam as I said in the 44 thread I love all my Ruger revolvers, but the SRH Alaskan is the easiest for me to shoot these days, may look into getting a RH or SRH in 44 with a longer barrel the 2.5 inch on mine doesn't give me enough accuracy for more than real short distances.

• Options

@Ruger4me I like Ruger revolvers too. I don't have as many as I once did. I really wanted a Redhawk in 41 Magnum. The 41 Mag was my 2nd favorite round in a revolver but I only have 3 now. I have New model no warning BH 4 5/8" gun a S&W M57 6" Blue gun and S&W M58 that was tuned by old man Clark himself. The trigger and action on that M58 are near perfection IMO.

RLTW

• Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭

Redhawk, goshhawk or sparrowhawk, they all taste like chicken to me......I'm a S&W guy....😎

They are nice guns though.

• Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020

Okay, pardon me, my ignorance is showing here.

Please school me - Main differences between SBH, SRH, RH, if you would be so kind.

Relatively new to the Ruger SAA revolver World.

SBH in .44mag 7 1/2" barrel, new to me about a year ago. My 1st.

* Yes, I know I can research it. I'd prefer to get the Cliff Notes version from you all.

• Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭

I'm a S&W guy, so not real familiar with the Ruger line. But IIRC, Redhawks are the double action guns, and the supers come with the scope ring mounts....

• Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks Todd, I wrongfully assumed they were all SAA.

See, I'm learning something already. 😁

• Options
    dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,787 ✭✭✭✭

I have Ruger revolvers in 22 LR, 22 mag, 32 H+R mag, 32-20, 327 Federal mag, 357 mag (My sons favorite), 44 mag and 454 Cassul!! I would tell you which one is my favorite but I'm not sure which one I like the best!! I guess I'm a Ruger guy!!

• Options
    redhawkk480redhawkk480 Member Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020

SBH> Super Blackhawk >> single action 6 shots, usually in 7 1/2" or 10 1/2" , blued or Stainless , has lower and wider hammer spur , squared off trigger guard that some people hate because it busts their knuckles ,, more recent special runs have shorter barrels and rounded trigger guards

Super Blackhawk Bisley

short barrel

SRH>> Super Redhawk double action 6 shot has the heavy barrel coming off the frame and usually with scope ring cutouts

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/884559099

RH> Redhawk double action, 6 shot and also newer 357mags with 8 shot cyl.

both blued and Stainless , first came out in 44 mag and 357 mag , 5 1/2" and 7 1/2" later 41mag and 45colt were added and then the Hunter series came out with the scope ring cutouts , now you can get them with much shorter barrels

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/885807990

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/885431118

and lots more info out there if you want to look

• Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭

+1 on the SBH in 10"