In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Skeptics

select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭

Are You?

: BELIEVE ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE AND NOTHING YOU HEAR - "Question everything, especially rumors. The proverb has been traced back to 'Proverbs of Alfred' (c. 1300). First attested in the United States in 1770. In 1845, it was used by American poet Edgar Allen Poe (1809-49)." From "Random House Dictionary of Popular Proverbs and Sayings" by Gregory Y. Titelman (Random House, New York, 1996).

Gin thu neuere leuen alle monnis spechen, Ne alle the thinge that thu herest stingen. (_Proverbs of Alfred_, c1300)

You must not take Everything to be true that is told to you. (C. Carroll in a letter dated September 4, 1770)

You are younger yet ... but the time will arrive when you will learn to judge for yourself.... Believe nothing you hear, and only one half that you see. (E.A. Poe in _Graham's Magazine_, November 1845)

Comments

• Options
    gjshawgjshaw Member Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    ridgleyartridgleyart Member Posts: 937 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭

The American public has been mis-informed/mislead so completely in 2020 that I can't/won't/don't believe ANYTHING I read/hear especially from news services. The participation of the media in both the proliferation of mis-information about the Kung Flu and the hiding of information about the election fraud is well within what I'd consider treasonous acts due to the detrimental affect on the country.

• Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,780 ✭✭✭✭

Lies, propaganda, false promises, and hatred is espoused every second by establishment media. One thing positive about the Trump presidency is media has been exposed for what it really is: An opposition hate group.

For our country to escape the inevitable Marxist takeover, the media needs to be held accountable and punished for their spreading lies, propaganda, and hate.

• Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭

I miss the journalism of my youth when telling the truth and the facts was of primary importance. The correspondents and reporters who came out of World War Two were , for the most part , men of integrity. Something now in short supply in the news . We need to reincarnate Huntley , Brinkley , and Walter Cronkite

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

I've always thought of myself as a Skeptic. 2020 sealed the deal.

• Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,176 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020

My heart breaks for my kids and grandkids, they don't know what freedom and truth really is ......things have gone downhill fast just in my lifetime. But they'll never break me, whoever "they" 👺 are.

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭

As you say, believe nothing you hear and half what you see.

Not so much anymore. Much of the "real" stuff you see in the media is computer generated.

So there goes that saying for sure.

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,351 ******

We all seem to be from Missouri with their "Show Me" attitude. And for GOOD REASON!

• Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭

"Trust, but verify" old Russian proverb.

How many here know of the 1948 Smith-Mundt Act? and the changes Obama made to it?

• Options
    Nanuq907Nanuq907 Member Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭✭