In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

My truck oil is 21 months / 4,700 miles old.

SperrySperry Member Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭

Synthetic, passes the look / smell test. I'm thinking the oil is fine but do not know about the filter. Maybe I'll buy the oil and filter myself (high end product) and have the shop swap them out. Or do I just add a quart and let it go? 2013 4.8L V8 - the famous small block L20 engine.

The shop does not stock synthetic, but runs ¼ mile to an auto parts shop and buys a cheap generic synthetic oil, one they'd use in their own vehicles.

Comments

• Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭✭

I use Mobil1 in my Nissan truck and change it every 6000 miles.The truck has 492,000 miles on it and I never have to add oil between changes.I buy a dozen filters at a time from a local shop. The name on the filters is Full.

• Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,473 ✭✭✭✭

I may be a belt and suspenders kind of guy but I use synthetic and change at least once a year even though I am only putting 5000 miles on a year. A lot of short trips and I worry about moisture degrading the oil. In the long run it doesn't cost that much and it might do some good. With the temperature swings here in Michigan I would rather be safe than sorry. I used to put a lot more miles on vehicles before I retired but I can't remember the last time I had to add oil between changes and I put it down to regular oil changes preventing wear. Bob

• Options
    love2shootlove2shoot Member Posts: 553 ✭✭✭

I change both at 7000 miles or when it's a quart low. No motor leaks.

• Options
    firstharmonicfirstharmonic Member Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭

Even using synthetic, an oil change is about the cheapest and easiest preventive maintenance we can do to our vehicles. Our Ford has a turbocharged engine about the size of an eggbeater. I use full synthetic oil and change it at regular conservative intervals.

• Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,649 ******

Just don’t mix synthetic oil with conventional oil.

• Options

😀😀

A little early in the day for popcorn but maybe I'll substitute Cheerios. Bob

• Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭✭

Owners manual does not list oil change mileage intervals on my 2018 f 150 . The computer analyzes the oil and mileage I guess and tells when to change it . Still under warranty so I guess I will go to the dealer for service . Always used to do this myself

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options

Our Ford has a turbocharged engine about the size of an eggbeater.

Yep, I recently saw a 1.5L engine in a small crossover 😮

The shop now stock my oil, Quaker State or Pennzoil. It is about $15 more than the dealership charges but closer, faster, and it good to keep the local guys moving. They give me great prices on tires, which is their bread and bacon.

I'd swear the oil would test 100% but how to change just a filter is beyond me. It was not yet at the bottom of the crosshatch marks, and may have been there the whole time. Well, it's done.

• Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭

"but I go by the hour meter"

EXACTLY ! ... Been saying that for years 😎 I've written to GMC and Castrol both. They declined to reply !

It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books
  • Options
    gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭

It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books
  • Options

I still change my own, but I go by the hour meter.

700 hours?

"Better Raw Materials Equal Better Oil

AMSOIL Signature Series Synthetic Motor Oil, for example, is guaranteed for 25,000 miles/700 hours of operation/one year, whichever comes first, in normal service (15,000 miles in severe service)."

https://www.amsoil.com/newsstand/motor-oil/articles/how-long-does-synthetic-motor-oil-last/

• Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,473 ✭✭✭✭

Mobil 1 for me. I change every 10,000 miles whether it needs it or not, which equates to approximately 300 hours.

Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options

I'm at 372 hours over that last time period. I was using another vehicle nearly exclusively. I can also drive the same mileage in 100 hours, road trip to Tempe AZ and back.

Thanks Don and all. For the record, my 'computer' was down to 5% life after that time and wear interval but I've gone 2000-3000 miles past that point when it was all-highway driving.

I've heard of big rig truckers doing 100k+ miles on the same synthetic oil, only changing filters. Hogwash or truth?

• Options
    Nanuq907Nanuq907 Member Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭✭

"Oil is always cheaper than metal."

• Options
    dunbarboyzdunbarboyz Member Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭✭

The 4.8L calls for 7500 miles. I would wait till then.

• Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭✭

I use Mobile One and talked to a Mobile tech who told me there is nothing wrong with a blend of synthetic and regular oil? But why would you want to? Maybe if you ran short?

• Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,473 ✭✭✭✭

If you are low and need to top off, no problem. I would do a full change as soon as possible, however.

if I could remain clam, that is.

Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭

If you drive short trips, in town, and such, CHANGE THE OIL.

The company Son works for leases vehicles for the "management level" employees who work in the field. About 8-10 years back the leases ran just over 100K before swapping vehicles and the plan was to change oil based on the vehicles' oil monitoring program. BAD IDEA. Around 80% of the vehicles developed oil consumption problems before the 100K leases ran out. Is that the service life you want from your vehicle?

• Options
    truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭

You don't change the oil because the old oil went bad. You change it to get rid of the accumulation of carbon, wear particles, and other debris that is too fine to be trapped by the filter.

• Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭

Just got thru changing the truck with Mobil 1

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,189 ✭✭✭✭

My highly trusted service guy told me to change synthetic every 10,000 and filter at 5,000. That's what I do.

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,260 ******

I'm trying to clam down.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options

Without a garage, changing the oil, let alone draining it to change only the filter, is a lose / lose. I'd like to try to do it myself when it is warmer, and use a Mobil1 M1-113 and Mobil 1 full synthetic (or better). I'm most likely driving 5,000 in March / April, and will plan on going top hat on the next dance.

• Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,649 ******

I change the oil in our two Honda’s, and step daughters Honda. Mobile 1 synthetic and Mobil 1 filters. Also, grandson’s Saturn and my 94 Toyota pickup. Lately, I’ve been taking my F 250 diesel to my friends shop for oil changes. 14 quarts of Rotela. Also:

Two atv’s

Kubota tractor

2011 Harley

varios lawn mowers and other small engines.

Another friend takes all my old oil to heat his garage.

• Options

I don't do ANY of that stuff myself any more. Well, I do change the air filter myself and check the fluids regularly - but that's all the DIY car stuff for me.

• Options

I have a hard enough time around here getting rid of the old oil from the mowers, generator, etc... so I have given up on doing the vehicles myself. Bob

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭

"My highly trusted service guy told me to change synthetic every 10,000 and filter at 5,000. That's what I do."

I've been using synthetic for maybe 30 years. My normal oil change interval is 7500 with a filter change at half that. It's worked fine so going to stick with it.

• Options
    JasonVJasonV Member Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭

I have gone to 10,000 mile intervals with synthetic oil on all my vehicles.

Interestingly the computers on my Superduty and Ford Edge but say to change it every 10,000 so that fits what I was already doing.

Rotella T6 Synthetic in the Super Duty and Motorcraft in the Edge. I use Motorcraft filters.

formerly known as warpig883
  • Options

I've looked it up, and evidently only a little oil will come out by removing the filter. Not all six quarts. Ya learn something every day! 😅

I'll crawl under and see what kind of filter they used. Step up my filter game at a minimum. All of the synthetic manufacturers are guaranteeing their oil 10k+ miles.

2013 and everything works. My only splurge. Replaced the original back brakes @ 82,000 with all OEM parts. Fronts are original. The AC is the only thing which failed so far. It was the EVAPORATOR TEMPERATURE SWITCH. Guess how many mechanics did not know that truck had one !@#$% 😆

• Options

Yup. My guy tells me they have to top off about half a quart after a filter-only change, and a lot of that was in the filter itself.

• Options
    RidefarRidefar Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭

Was doing the same as Rocky, 10,000 mile oil change interval with new filter change at 5,000 miles and add about a pint to top off on my long term keeper pickup.

Using Mobil 1 with Mobil 1 filter.

Found that I am only driving this vehicle (pretty easy on it at that) approx. 7,200 miles per year so this has changed.

Now I change oil and filter in the spring once per year at approx. 7,000 miles kind of splitting the difference.

I do my own work and it is almost the same amount of labor crawling underneath and such as just changing the filter and topping off.

I believe Mobil 1 claims 25,000 mile protection with this oil, but I have been around awhile and it would make me crazy to leave oil in an engine that long.