In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

6mm ARC. UPDATED I bought one.

bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭

I have hundreds of 30 cal and 6mm bullets, I even have 500 Bart's 105 grain pills. I do not want to stock a different size. I have 452, 458, 8mm, 30cal, 6mm and .223 jacketed bullets, buying another caliber does not appeal to me.

The 6mm ARC in the AR platform seems interesting, it is designed for heavy for caliber bullets, I like that.

Anyone shooting the 6mm ARC and what do you think of it???

Well, I just had to have one and ordered a complete upper from CMMG.

Upper Group, Endeavor300, Mk4, 6mm ARC

Now to find a 6X24 scope worthy of the investment in the upper. Dies and Brass ae going to be a fun filled adventure to find.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ME, FROM ME.

Comments

• Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,653 ✭✭✭✭

Sounds like a fun project, Bruce. Lots of Hornady dies for that round on the auction side. I didn't expect to see as many as there are.

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭

It's a fine, under powered small arms solution to what the military thinks it needs. Unfortunately, even with the hoopla provided by the firearms media, it will never make it past some small area field trials.

Yes, with certain loads it will remain supersonic out to 1,000 yards approximately. The drawback not mentioned is the energy remaining at that distance. 2 - 300 ft/lbs at 1,000 yards doesn't have much impact and that's if it doesn't get blown halfway across the landscape with a gentle breeze.

Currently, the military has 7 cartridges in programs for development and testing. Four of those will find themselves on the dust heap in a couple of years. The three places being filled will probably be for use in the general field forces but then there will be four to six other cartridges selected for the elite forces who get to choose there own.

The Pentagon is desperately trying to fulfill the needs of the ground forces without replacing the M16 platform completely. It will be a huge expenditure and years of replacement when they realize that they need to upscale to the large frame AR platform. That's why we're reading about these specialized small scale, heavy for caliber bullets in tiny packages limited by the M16 magazines.

Now, in all fairness, the 6mm ARC is fine small cartridge and will fit quite well into the consumer market here in the US. The moderate recoil will draw lots of shooters into the concept. The difference will be as usual, the market being challenged by a single source supplier, Hornady. Worse is the spot we find ourselves in right now, no supplies of anything.

Best.

• Options

Nononsense said:

Now, in all fairness, the 6mm ARC is fine small cartridge and will fit quite well into the consumer market here in the US. The moderate recoil will draw lots of shooters into the concept. The difference will be as usual, the market being challenged by a single source supplier, Hornady. Worse is the spot we find ourselves in right now, no supplies of anything.

I am finding that out for sure, I looked for dies but must have missed them, brass is nowhere to be found but then again I have a birrthday in March and don't expect to see the upper before then.....Oh well, we don't get to make the rules, we just suffer from them.. I bought the silencer on 09-01-2020 and would like to see it before I die but who knows how Gubmint works.

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020

I haven't been forced to check on the approval times for ATF on suppressors so I have no idea what the wait is currently. Priory to the Covid stupidity it was down to about 3 months.

Dies can be made from reamers although I saw Hornady dies have been in stock through some suppliers...

See Brownells link below!!!!

I will keep an eye open for brass just in case. I called GAP and they won't suggest a date for getting any stock.

Creedmoor Sports has 1/2021 listed as their backorder date:

Call to see if you can still get on the list.

Midway is saying 12/10/20 for shipment, backorders O.K. Might consider getting on a list...

BROWNELLS HAS LOADED cases of ARC in stock:

I'd grab a case of this while it's available!

Best.

• Options

I got the dies today, thanks ordered from a GB auction seller. Since the upper will take several weeks to get I am in no hurry for brass although I did sign up to be notified when the Hornaday Match 108ELD becomes available again.

• Options
    fjcruiser1fjcruiser1 Member Posts: 1

I jumped on the cart with you and bought a CMMG endeavor 100 that appeared in a local pawn shop. I've been able to find ammo but at a fairly steep price. I've only run about 80 rounds through it at the range at 100 yards so far. I'm new to the AR platform but I've been impressed with it so far. I put a cheap scope and a red dot sight on it along with a ambidextrous charging handle and a set of bipods. I'm just getting used to it and have put together some 1 inch groups after sighting it in. I'm excited to try longer distances, as the place where I shoot is opening a 200 and 300 yard range. I've been using the Black ammo as it seems to be more available.