In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

US Revolver

Farmer 2501Farmer 2501 Member Posts: 2

I inherited a US Revolver serial number on the trigger guard is 2164. It appears to be a 38 caliber 5 shot cylinder. My question is how old is this gun. Also is it capable of shooting 38 S&W ammo. And finally an approximate value of the pistol. Any advice and insight would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭

"U.S. Revolver", was a Trade Name use by the Iver Johnson company. On their economy line of revolvers, meant to be sold in hardware stores and by mail order. Dating to the early years of the 20th Century. Production was terminated during the depression, circa early 1930's.

Unless it's in factory new in the box condition. With all accessories and paperwork. No current collectors demand/value.

I would take it to a reputable/knowledgeable gunsmith, for inspection and test firing before shooting it. Likely it's over a hundred years old. And was originally made to sell for under $5.00. Years before liability laws, became a major factor in firearms manufacturing. Like they are today.

• Options
    Farmer 2501Farmer 2501 Member Posts: 2

Thanks for the info rufe-snow

Do you know if the serial number indicates the production year?

As I had said I inherited the pistol so I will probably just keep it.

But that being said I would like to know as much about the pistol and it’s history, can you suggest a resource for that kind of information?

thanks again

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭

Iver Johnson: Arms & Cycle Works Firearms 1871-1993

Best reference. By the late Bill Goforth. Who was one of our most knowledgeable members. Until his untimely passing. Unfortunately it's out of print. And quite spendy.

• Options
    yonsonyonson Member Posts: 904 ✭✭✭

Revolvers similar to yours were designed for black powder. Under many names, were produced in the millions from late 19th century ($2 to $3) to middle 40's (parts cleanup) and I've seen tablefuls at gun shows so value is low. Number stamped on gun may not have been serial# but production line# & not related to mfg. date which might be approximated at best. Is probably 38 S&W but get gunsmith advice before considering shooting it.

• Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭

Per Bluebook of Gun Values mfg 1911 to 1935 in cal's .22, .32 and .38 with 2 1/2 in. round barrel. "This model was manufactured for sale through mail order catalogs and it was never listed in any Iver Johnson catalog." Value 70% condition $65 in 2010. If the cylinder chambers ore bored straight through it is probably a .38 Short cartridge. If the chambers have a step reduction it is probably a .38 S&W (my opinion). Those old Iver Johnson's were made with very loose tolerances and the cylinder alignment became bad in short order. Also, the cylinder-to-barrel gap is often very large causing loss of pressure to an extent a bullet could lodge in the barrel. Good luck.

• Options
    chmechme Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭

First year of production was 1910. There was a hammer and a hammerless version. The hammer model does NOT have the "Hammer the Hammer" safety feature. Hammerless did not have the "safety trigger" Your SN would have been a 1st year of production. Yes, all of them were made for smokeless powder- caliber .38 S&W- there was also a .32 S&W and a .22 caliber. As said, have a competent pistol smith check it for timing. Values are not high, maybe $150 unless you have a NIB specimen (Don't laugh- I do.) Data from Bill Goforth's book, page 71 and 72.

• Options
    kannoneerkannoneer Member Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭✭

The .38 S&W round is loaded to mild pressures in deference to the thousands of old top-break revolvers still around. So if it is good and tight and checks out OK it is fun to send a few rounds down range once in a while. I

I inherited an old S&W top break made in 1890 which was in very good shape. I had it inspected and got the green light, so every few years I shoot a cylinderful of Remington factory ammo through it.

• Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,755 ✭✭✭✭

$75-100 and once you shoot it and something breaks, $25. for parts.