In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

I Have Recently Obtained A "V. Bernardelli Gardone V.T." I Believe In 54 Cal

I recently received this rifle from a friend and am attempting to get some history on it and a time period if possible. I cant seem to locate any current contact info for the company, and have yet to find any dates stamped into the rifle. I appreciate any info anyone may be able to provide.

Comments

• Options
    poinlawpoinlaw Member Posts: 2 ✭✭

I know that Vincenzo Bernardelli was a maker of mid to high end shotguns in the Val Trompio (Italy's gunmaking region--like Spain's Eibar) back in the day--1950's and 60's. Probably goes back much farther than that, but I have no personal knowledge of such. His decendants have continued the business under different first initials. Word is that the later guns are not quite the quality of the earlier ones. Your gun looks like a replica musket of some sort (others here will know much more about it than I) that has been either carelessly or deliberately aged to more resemble an original. Go to the doublegun journal website doublegun forum and ask--lots of knowledge there.

• Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭

It is a reproduction rifled musket probably made prior to 1990 and in poor condition. There may be a date code letter stamped on the bottom of the barrel at the breech end.

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,360 ******

Fairly sure your Italian musket would be 58 caliber. As were originals.

• Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭

Maybe a reproduction 1841 which was originally .54 but a lot of originals were rebored to .58 for common ammo with 1861s. A lot of repros made in .58 for modern available Minie balls.